3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Advice on smooth upshifting in '17 Fit LX Manual

Old 10-09-2018, 03:13 AM
Advice on smooth upshifting in '17 Fit LX Manual

Hey all,

Just wanted some advice on how to upshift smoothly in a '17 Fit LX Manual. I've been driving it over a year now, and am I'm only able to upshift smoothly when shifting into 4th gear, but still its not perfect all the time. The other gears I'm having a hard time figuring out (2nd, 3rd, 5th, and 6th, not 1st). I'm not always consistent with my upshifts (meaning little to no jerking of the car when upshifting). The Owner's Manual gives a guide of the upshift points, but I think I'm not doing something right. My goal is to be perfect at it. I've watched a lot of YouTube instructional videos and read stuff on the internet, but still something isn't clicking in my brain yet. Below are also two specific questions I have:

1. Around what RPM should you upshift at?

2. Do you give the car some gas before upshifting?

Old 10-09-2018, 08:15 AM
1. I've found that its more sensitive to upshifting when the gear you are shifting from is at lower RPM. I don't upshift until being above 3K RPM, but its more common that its around 4K when I shift.

2. You want to keep the accelerator at the level that will give you the smoothest upshift. That means I am always applying a little smooth throttle acceleration as I shift up. When down shifting, I match the revs that the gear will jump to if I don't use the accelerator. That is better explained in the first video I linked to, and takes practice.\

Edit: For the record, I want to be perfectly clear and state that I am not an expert. I have been using MT for a while now and I have learned a few things but I am still always learning.

Here are 2 good videos:

Last edited by Noodle; 10-09-2018 at 08:52 AM.
Old 10-09-2018, 08:31 AM
5 Year Member
Doesn't matter at which RPM you shift at. The RPM you need to be concerned about is the new rpm that you will be at once the shift is complete.

The key to smoothness is rev matching. On an upshift, you need to wait until the engine drops down to the new rpm.

On the Fit for example, 1st gear 4500 rpms is around 20mph. In second gear, 20mph = 2500 rpms. So letting the clutch out just as the engines drops down to 2500 results in a smooth shift...

Old 10-09-2018, 12:27 PM
5 Year Member
I ageee with Noodle. I find it shifts smoother when you rev it out a bit above 3k at least. I find the Fit to not have a very good clutch compared to my previous manual cars but smoothness can be achieved once you learn its quirks. Maybe it’s the internal bypass thing that they added to the master cylinder.

Old 10-09-2018, 01:23 PM
I upgraded my suspension and it totally made my shifts a lot smoother. In my opinion stock on my GK is just too soft, which is why you feel every shift and the nose dives and lifts.

In the mean time, smooth on smooth off is the best advice I can give you, I always make sure to shift while the car has forward momentum (which is like around 3k rpm like others stated).

Also add a tad bit of gas while upshifting to match the revs up.

Also our clutch engagement point is super high up so adding gas before that will cause a jolt as the car matches the transmission speed to the wheel speed. So progressively add throttle like half way up through the clutch release.

Last edited by FrozoneTheFit; 10-09-2018 at 01:26 PM.
Old 10-09-2018, 01:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FrozoneTheFit
I upgraded my suspension and it totally made my shifts a lot smoother. In my opinion stock on my GK is just too soft, which is why you feel every shift and the nose dives and lifts.
May I ask, what was upgraded?

"upgraded my suspension" is a rather broad

Old 10-09-2018, 03:18 PM
Originally Posted by Noodle
1. I've found that its more sensitive to upshifting when the gear you are shifting from is at lower RPM. I don't upshift until being above 3K RPM, but its more common that its around 4K when I shift.

2. You want to keep the accelerator at the level that will give you the smoothest upshift. That means I am always applying a little smooth throttle acceleration as I shift up. When down shifting, I match the revs that the gear will jump to if I don't use the accelerator. That is better explained in the first video I linked to, and takes practice.\

Edit: For the record, I want to be perfectly clear and state that I am not an expert. I have been using MT for a while now and I have learned a few things but I am still always learning.

Here are 2 good videos:

Okay I'll work on shifting between 3K and 4K RPM. That Eco guide (green light means good, blue light means to shift?) kept throwing me off, like its saying you should shift at 2500K RPM for better fuel economy. That guy from the Smoking Tire is a pro haha.

Old 10-09-2018, 03:21 PM
Originally Posted by evilchargerfan
May I ask, what was upgraded?

"upgraded my suspension" is a rather broad
Eibach Pro-kit Springs😎

Old 10-09-2018, 03:22 PM
Originally Posted by lannym
Doesn't matter at which RPM you shift at. The RPM you need to be concerned about is the new rpm that you will be at once the shift is complete.

The key to smoothness is rev matching. On an upshift, you need to wait until the engine drops down to the new rpm.

On the Fit for example, 1st gear 4500 rpms is around 20mph. In second gear, 20mph = 2500 rpms. So letting the clutch out just as the engines drops down to 2500 results in a smooth shift...
Alright thanks, I'll try to keep that in mind when shifting to a new gear

Old 10-09-2018, 03:25 PM
Originally Posted by FrozoneTheFit

In the mean time, smooth on smooth off is the best advice I can give you, I always make sure to shift while the car has forward momentum (which is like around 3k rpm like others stated).

Also add a tad bit of gas while upshifting to match the revs up.

Also our clutch engagement point is super high up so adding gas before that will cause a jolt as the car matches the transmission speed to the wheel speed. So progressively add throttle like half way up through the clutch release.
Alright nice. How much did the suspension upgrade cost?

Old 10-09-2018, 03:27 PM
Originally Posted by kflex1
Okay I'll work on shifting between 3K and 4K RPM. That Eco guide (green light means good, blue light means to shift?) kept throwing me off, like its saying you should shift at 2500K RPM for better fuel economy. That guy from the Smoking Tire is a pro haha.
Matt Farah (The Smoking Tire Guy) is awesome. Those videos are what I used to learn to drive manual lol. He has a One-Take video where he takes a Turbocharged GE down Angeles Crest Highway. Despite driving the most amazing cars, the Fit put a giant smile on his face and he had a blast. Really settled me on buying a Fit in the first place😁 https://youtu.be/LS0Pju83ruw

Old 10-09-2018, 03:29 PM
Alright nice. How much did the suspension upgrade cost?
My springs were $223 from Axion Industries 👌 (S/o to Micheal Hinton he's a swell guy and the owner)

Old 10-09-2018, 05:17 PM
5 Year Member
First off, I love my 6 spd LX …… Bur I am NOT liking the clutch delay valve, and (software controlled, I presume?) rev-hang when shifting. As far as "shift points," there is no set point or general point, it's when it's right for the driving situation. It shifts well enough, have had previous cars with better manuals, but.....I would not have bought this with the CVT, even though the CVT gets better gas mileage. Just drive it, pay attention to what you're doing and when, and you'll figure it out by feel.....works for me

Old 10-09-2018, 05:55 PM
5 Year Member
Hey all,

Just wanted some advice on how to upshift smoothly in a '17 Fit LX Manual. I've been driving it over a year now, and am I'm only able to upshift smoothly when shifting into 4th gear, but still its not perfect all the time. The other gears I'm having a hard time figuring out (2nd, 3rd, 5th, and 6th, not 1st). I'm not always consistent with my upshifts (meaning little to no jerking of the car when upshifting). The Owner's Manual gives a guide of the upshift points, but I think I'm not doing something right. My goal is to be perfect at it. I've watched a lot of YouTube instructional videos and read stuff on the internet, but still something isn't clicking in my brain yet. Below are also two specific questions I have:

1. Around what RPM should you upshift at?

2. Do you give the car some gas before upshifting?
Go take lessons from a guy who been shifting manuals his whole life. Find a large parking lot on a Sunday morning. The clutch pickup point is different on all makes, and sometimes, even different with the same model. First thing to learn is controlling the release of the clutch pedal without applying any gas. By releasing the clutch very very slowly, you should be able to make the car go forward on level ground. Yes, you will probably feel like an idiot when you kill the engine a few times before getting the hang of controlling and releasing the clutch. Don't worry, we all have done that at one time.

The question, at what rpm do you shift? It's not a simple answer. The manual trans allows you to make the decision when to shift because you have the ability to see and anticipate the condition of the road ahead of you. You will probably shift differently if you want maximum economy than if you were going up hill on a mountain road. The europeans are quite conscientious about fuel economy so they shift at around 1500 rpm, which makes me crinch while I shift at maybe 4000 rpm because I want to hear the BMW engine sing. If you are driving a Porsche GT3 you will probably want to shift a 9000 rpm. Again, a guy who has been driving a manual his entire life should know when to shift based on need. When you finally get it, learn to double clutch when downshifting like a race car driver.

Last edited by wasserball; 10-09-2018 at 06:10 PM.
Old 10-09-2018, 06:21 PM
Originally Posted by Fuelish
First off, I love my 6 spd LX …… Bur I am NOT liking the clutch delay valve, and (software controlled, I presume?) rev-hang when shifting. As far as "shift points," there is no set point or general point, it's when it's right for the driving situation. It shifts well enough, have had previous cars with better manuals, but.....I would not have bought this with the CVT, even though the CVT gets better gas mileage. Just drive it, pay attention to what you're doing and when, and you'll figure it out by feel.....works for me
Perhaps a lightened flywheel would help with rev hang.

Old 10-09-2018, 06:25 PM
Originally Posted by wasserball
Go take lessons from a guy who been shifting manuals his whole life. Find a large parking lot on a Sunday morning. The clutch pickup point is different on all makes, and sometimes, even different with the same model. First thing to learn is controlling the release of the clutch pedal without applying any gas. By releasing the clutch very very slowly, you should be able to make the car go forward on level ground. Yes, you will probably feel like an idiot when you kill the engine a few times before getting the hang of controlling and releasing the clutch. Don't worry, we all have done that at one time.

The question, at what rpm do you shift? It's not a simple answer. The manual trans allows you to make the decision when to shift because you have the ability to see and anticipate the condition of the road ahead of you. You will probably shift differently if you want maximum economy than if you were going up hill on a mountain road. The europeans are quite conscientious about fuel economy so they shift at around 1500 rpm, which makes me crinch while I shift at maybe 4000 rpm because I want to hear the BMW engine sing. If you are driving a Porsche GT3 you will probably want to shift a 9000 rpm. Again, a guy who has been driving a manual his entire life should know when to shift based on need. When you finally get it, learn to double clutch when downshifting like a race car driver.
Preach, Haha! that was well said.

Double clutching is a true master craft. I only do it into first due to the Fit's peculiar first gear syncro.

*side note* "GT3 at 9000 RPM" 😍😍😍

Old 10-09-2018, 08:16 PM
5 Year Member
This is spot-on, and exactly how I taught my son to drive his Fit.

Old 10-10-2018, 02:28 AM
Originally Posted by Fuelish
Alright thanks for the info

Old 10-10-2018, 02:41 AM

Haha thanks. You wouldn't believe me, but a crook showed me how to drive a manual (he was a damn good friend though). I think it's the small things that I'm not doing right that's causing the upshifts to not be smooth. But I noticed driving home tonight from work was a lot better, just off some of the tips I was given here so far. Giving a little bit of gas > shifting between 3K and 4K RPM > let off the clutch slowly > give it gas