3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Scangauge II with X-gauge to monitor CVT temperature?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 04:57 PM
5 Year Member
Scangauge II with X-gauge to monitor CVT temperature?

Anyone running a Scangauge II with X-gauge technology to monitor their CVT temps? I am curious if you like the reliability or if you feel you are seeing accurate numbers and fluctuations of temps, etc...

As usual for me, my disclaimer of why I want something . I spend a lot of time with the car at or maybe even over maximum gross vehicle weight, combined with the drag of two bicycles on the back. I'd like to know what's going on when I'm running 70+ up eastern United States mountains or some of the slow back-country type stuff.

Seeing if this needs to be #1 on my Christmas list this year...

Thanks!

EDIT: >>>>>>> Public Service Announcement <<<<<<<

I just learned from experience... You cannot update the firmware on a Scangauge II. You have to work with Scangauge for a replacement. Latest firmware is not important unless on the updates is the entire reason you purchased the unit.... I just bought a one and it had Version 4.12. The version required to read CVT temps on a Honda is v4.50+.

The are telling me that firmware updates are free for the first year and they have a new exchange on the way to me. Bummer to think it was going to be a fun afternoon on my one evening free until this time next week! LOL.

Last edited by CyclingFit; 11-14-2018 at 03:17 PM.
Old 11-13-2018, 05:02 PM
5 Year Member
tho I cant post helpful info (not cvt), i'd like to at least throw out that amazon has the sg ii for $129 as of now

link:
Amazon Amazon

Old 11-13-2018, 10:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by evilchargerfan
tho I cant post helpful info (not cvt), i'd like to at least throw out that amazon has the sg ii for $129 as of now

link:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1

Price is back to normal when I follow the link.

Old 11-14-2018, 12:57 PM
5 Year Member
EEK

Old 11-14-2018, 01:44 PM
5 Year Member
>>>>>>> Public Service Announcement <<<<<<<

I just learned from experience... You cannot update the firmware on a Scangauge II. You have to work with Scangauge for a replacement. Latest firmware is not important unless on the updates is the entire reason you purchased the unit.... I just bought a one and it had Version 4.12. The version required to read CVT temps on a Honda is v4.50+.

The are telling me that firmware updates are free for the first year and they have a new exchange on the way to me. Bummer to think it was going to be a fun afternoon on my one evening free until this time next week! LOL.

Old 11-14-2018, 01:59 PM
5 Year Member
other than the cvt temps, any other cool benefits to V4.50?

Old 11-14-2018, 02:22 PM
5 Year Member
other than the cvt temps, any other cool benefits to V4.50?
I'm still really new this Scangauge world. No joke, only about 20 minutes sitting in the parking lot during lunch. From what I can tell the X-gauge ability of the Scangauge II is a pretty big deal. I believe 4.50 is only beneficial for CVT and Auto trans temps. Below I am attaching some more X-gauge info in case there might be a gauge you find useful that you don't already have.

I was surprised to not have coolant temp when I was first messing with it. Maybe I overlooked a setting...

Lastly, if you want to go super nerdy, I think you could get some baseline exhaust temps and see if they change over the years as your catalytic degrades. Assuming the X-gauge actually works on our cars.

X-gauge support page

Old 11-14-2018, 02:24 PM
5 Year Member
No firmware updates? That seems like a crappy upgrade path...

Old 11-14-2018, 02:27 PM
5 Year Member
to make it worse rismo, its $25 for me to upgrade my sg2

I do have water temp for my sg2, I'm hearing a ton of reports that some MY GK5's dont have that ability .... I believe it was 2018+ ?

Old 11-14-2018, 03:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
No firmware updates? That seems like a crappy upgrade path...
I cannot agree more.. The unit appears to plug in with Cat5 network cable, so I totally thought, no big deal to plug this in and upgrade...... WRONG.

to make it worse rismo, its $25 for me to upgrade my sg2

I do have water temp for my sg2, I'm hearing a ton of reports that some MY GK5's dont have that ability .... I believe it was 2018+ ?
I am a 2018, so I may fit in that group who cannot get a water temp reading. That might be a good email for me to send Scangauge and see if it is something they can unlock. It sounds like the updates to firmware are mostly based on their ability to get into the OEM's systems. It almost seems like hacking to me!