3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Loose clutch, low idle 2015 EX 45k miles, 6spd

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 11:03 PM
Loose clutch, low idle 2015 EX 45k miles, 6spd

Hi, just about a month ago I got my hands on a 2015 Fit EX, 6 speed manual. I've always wanted a Fit and was very happy when I purchased it. Being a Honda I did not expect it to have any major problems at 45k miles. I have taken very good care of it since purchasing and having an anxiety disorder I am very paranoid about anything going wrong with it, I watch everything and i'm honestly probably too observant, but whatever. So far I have noticed a couple things, not sure if they are mostly me just being too observant but here they are:

A couple nights ago I attempted to reverse up a steep driveway at a friend's house, stalled the engine in reverse. Like I said, maybe it's just me being too observant but ever since then I swear the clutch has been quite spongier than before. When pressing it down with my left foot I'm almost 100% sure that there is less resistance than before. However, when I test it out by pressing down on it with my right foot that I only use for acceleration and braking, it does seem to have more resistance than my left foot. This is most likely because my left leg has adjusted to pressing down the clutch every day and my right foot hasn't, but whatever. Again, maybe i'm being too observant but I spent a good amount of money on this car and I hate to see things seemingly going wrong a month after I purchased it. The clutch still has resistance, just not as much as before.

Today I also noticed that while stopped at a light, the engine was idling at about 500rpms. I'm pretty sure it usually idles at 1000. As far as I know this has only happened today.

Am I being too paranoid, or are these problems that I should be concerned about? Thanks so much guys.

Last edited by Ogrelode; 11-19-2018 at 11:09 PM.
Old 11-20-2018, 12:43 AM
5 Year Member
Is this your first car with manual transmission? Not used to driving a clutch?
If you had a manual trans car before this, were you able to make the original clutch last more than 100k miles? 200k?
(a bad driver might ruin a clutch in just a few feet, but with a good driver the clutch may last the life of the car.)

Clutch: Likely just looking too deeply for issues that don't exist, supersensitive paranoia. If the clutch doesn't slip, it's probably fine.
Stop by your Honda dealer and have someone in service department drive it, see if it feels unusual to someone who is very familiar with the cars. Or you go find one on the used car lot that's similar and test drive it for comparison.
Side note: Powertrain has 5 year/60k mile warranty, but the clutch can be considered a wear item.

Idle: Same as above. It may idle 1000 or above when engine is cold, but after engine is warmed up it can be from 650-850 depending on loads and temperature. Computer controlled, not adjustable.
The way the tach shows the lines below 1000 may be misleading too, so I rely on my scanner for true rpm data if needed.
Might try idle learn procedure if idle is really unstable (rare).

Old 11-22-2018, 09:50 AM
5 Year Member
These cars have a weird clutch; it doesn't let out until the very top and the grab is hard to feel. Even with 3+ years under my left foot I still occasionally over-rev on a quick launch because muscle memory forgets that the clutch grabs so far up. Combining that with the funky gearing puts the Fit in a class all by itself, says the guy who's been doing MTs since the '70s.

Last edited by bach; 11-22-2018 at 09:52 AM.