3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

2015 EX 6spd: Engaging only clutch when starting (push to start)

Old 11-29-2018, 06:21 PM
2015 EX 6spd: Engaging only clutch when starting (push to start)

In most manual cars, one would engage both the clutch and brakes while starting the vehicle. I thought this for a while after purchasing my 2015 EX 6spd manual, however I realized that only engaging the clutch while starting does the exact same thing. Does it make any difference that I am only engaging the clutch while starting the car? Does it affect the health of the car or starter in any way?

Old 11-29-2018, 10:04 PM
I always use my e-brake when I park, so I've never even thought to hold the brake while starting mine. As far as mechanical concerns there are none. In automatic cars I'm pretty sure that holding down the brake is just a secondary measure to ensure that you actually want to start the car and didn't just bump the button. In a manual this is already accomplished by having the driver press in the clutch.

Hell in older manual cars you could start the car with just having the shifter in neutral. It was always funny when someone forgot to put the car in neutral and tried to start it without depressing the clutch.

Old 12-02-2018, 01:50 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Ogrelode View Post
In most manual cars, one would engage both the clutch and brakes while starting the vehicle. I thought this for a while after purchasing my 2015 EX 6spd manual, however I realized that only engaging the clutch while starting does the exact same thing. Does it make any difference that I am only engaging the clutch while starting the car? Does it affect the health of the car or starter in any way?
My other cars push start with only clutch in. hell i don’t remember getting in a MT that also requires the brake depress besides getting out of EPB.