3rd Generation GK Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 3rd generation Honda Fit (GK)

Defrost issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 11:07 PM
Seems to be okay now. Took a 4,500 mile trip to the Midwest in December and January and didn't notice any problem. Of course we didn't experience any sub zero weather on the trip as we did in Montana during the Thanksgiving holiday.

Old 06-29-2015, 02:04 PM
Sorry to revive an old thread but I have some info on the rear defroster time intervals.

It turns out, pg 129 of the manual states that the rear defroster/heated mirrors will remain on between 10-30 minutes depending on the outside temperature. This happens at above 32 degrees F.

***If the temp is 32F or below, then the timer function of the defroster/mirrors will NOT auto switch off.

So the shut off is TEMP based, and time limited if above 32F.. After installing heated mirrors on my EX 6MT USDM, I noticed the ICM controls this function and not a simple timer.

If anyone is having trouble with the defroster, check to make sure your defroster is heating up, and verify the outside temp sensor is working properly. The ICM is using these sensors to limit the defroster function.

Old 07-01-2015, 11:33 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Bassguitarist1985
If anyone is having trouble with the defroster, check to make sure your defroster is heating up, and verify the outside temp sensor is working properly. The ICM is using these sensors to limit the defroster function.
I've only had my Fit for a month but I've noticed the rear defroster/defogger doesn't go off at all, no timer. And in fact twice when I got into the car the defogger was still on, it never shut off when I turned off the car on the previous trip.

So it sounds like my experience isn't normal, huh?

Old 07-01-2015, 12:31 PM
Originally Posted by bach
I've only had my Fit for a month but I've noticed the rear defroster/defogger doesn't go off at all, no timer. And in fact twice when I got into the car the defogger was still on, it never shut off when I turned off the car on the previous trip.

So it sounds like my experience isn't normal, huh?
I'm assuming the defroster switch was engaged? As mentioned according to the manual the mirror and windows will stay turned on 10-30 minutes then turn off if above 32 degrees F outside. It makes no mention of how long the circuit stays de-energized/off before it resets and turns back on.

Old 09-11-2018, 01:11 PM
5 Year Member
The rear window has what they call a defogger, as opposed to defroster. I don't think it is intended to be able to melt frost, although it might be able to very slowly deal with a very light layer.

For the front defroster, with anything other than a very light film of frost, you'll have to get outside and scrape. The front defroster blows hot air onto the windshield so you can expect it to melt a light film of frost but anything heavier than that and you have to get outside with a scraper. What I do is I have winter grade windshield wiper fluid (all year long). Spraying that, along with blowing hot air onto the windshield, will help make frost lest clingy, so that it is easier to scrape off the windshield. To make sure fog doesn't accumulate on the inside of the windshield, make sure the system is not set to recirculate. The AC compressor seems to go on automatically when you switch the air output knob to defrost-defog (furthest position clockwise) so there is no need to press the AC button. I don't think the compressor goes on when the knob is in the dashboard vent position. Sometimes I want to warm up my hands quickly so after the lblow ow water temperature indicator light goes off I move the temperature knob to maximum heat, move the airflow knob to dashboard vent position, and hold my hands in front to the vent. To make sure the windshield doesn't fog up, I keep the system in recicrulate and I also press the AC button.

Last edited by nomenclator; 09-11-2018 at 01:14 PM.
Old 11-03-2018, 10:55 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Ron Belisle
Just returned from a trip to Montana for Thanksgiving. It was -12 degrees F on the highway near Helena this morning with heavy snow. For some reason, both the front window defrost and the rear window defrost did not seem to work very well. There was frost build up on the front window from the top 30% of the windshield and up that never would thaw until we got about 60 miles down the road and the temp got warmer (about 20 degrees F). Also, the back window would not defrost even though the rear defroster was on the whole time. We've owned a Fit before (2010) and driven this highway in similar temps and did not experience this.
In Manitoba; I had to add a little deflector because of this problem. I cut a floor register plastic deflector in half and attached with double sided tape to the top half of the side deflector on my 2007 Fit. It redirects enough warm air to keep the buildup on the lower part of the windshield.

Old 01-24-2019, 11:15 PM
Originally Posted by etasDustin
Hi,

Just joined the forum to specifically research the interior fogging issue. My Fit has about 1500 miles on it and from the first day any cooler/cold weather creates a ton of interior window fog and crystallizing on the interior of the windows. Full blast heat on defrost-window setting can't stop the fogging and interior ice build up. In fact, my car is garaged and starts off with no fog on the windows. By the time I get to work all the other cars at the site (thousands of employees) have had their windows defrost/defog while my car is the only one that has nearly iced over (on the interior). I've owned about 40 different cars in my life and this is the only car that has had this issue. I don't jump in my car wet or do anything weird that would create this issue. It is like I have a humidifier hiding somewhere in the interior. I seriously either got a lemon or something in the design was done poorly. Coming from Columbus OH here. Thoughts? I am super disappointed.
Alli can day is"ditto" on the icing and fogging problem and lack of rear defining as well.
​​​​​