3rd Generation GK Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 3rd generation Honda Fit (GK)

Dust and Pollen Filter Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 05:28 PM
5 Year Member
Dust and Pollen Filter Replacement

The Owner's Manual says to replace this but it doesn't give a hint where it is. I found it online, but the video showed a different year Fit.

Open the glove box, push in on the top sides to release the rubber bumpers holding it, and it will drop down, spilling the contents onto the floor. The video I saw showed a plastic frame that holds the filter. Mine just has a slot for the filter, and I had to work at getting it out.

Maybe my difficulty was caused by the dozens of acorn stuffed into that area, and quite a bit of dust or dog hair or something. The openings are too small to fit a hand inside, so getting the acorns out was a challenge. I had to use one of those 2' long hooks that opens with little grippers on the end. We will keep the air lever moved to the left when the car is left overnight.

Old 10-08-2015, 08:49 PM
5 Year Member
I made a DIY thread a little while ago:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-gk-specific-diy-repair-maintenance-sub-forum/91095-diy-cabin-air-filter-replacement-cleaning.html

No problem with acorns encountered, just lots of bug guts and leaves.

Old 10-09-2015, 08:35 AM
5 Year Member
The GE Fit had a plastic frame to hold the filter. The GK does not.

One of the easiest service jobs on the Fit. It amazes me what the dealer charges for a job I can do in 90 seconds.

Old 10-24-2015, 05:52 PM
2Rismo2, thanks for the filter access information! This just helped me out as well.

SilverEX15, I just had to get in there myself because of the presence of an acorn blocking the little gate that controls the reticulate/fresh air duct. If you found an acorn in there, you have mice living in there. There was a nest in mine in the void space around the recirculation ducting. I would strongly advise that you get in there and remove it ASAP before they do some damage, and set up an ultrasonic device and/or traps to keep 'em away from your sweet ride.

In my case, there was a bunch of fiberglass insulation in there, which tipped me off to the mice. There's no way I sucked that up on the road, but I had done some reno work on my house a few weeks back and left a bunch of that material in a bag to take the the dump later on the floor of my garage. If not for the pink insulation, I might have thought an acorn just got in there somehow.

Regards,
Jon

Old 07-18-2016, 07:00 PM
5 Year Member
Another thought is it would not be a warranty repair if the dealership fixes squirrel or mice damage. I ended up thinning the heard as both my MX5 and my SRT 10 had problems because of them.