3rd Generation GK Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 3rd generation Honda Fit (GK)

Second Gear Pulsating

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2015, 06:05 PM
Second Gear Pulsating

I have a 2015 GK5 EX manual. On very rare occasions I have this odd thing that happens in second gear.

It usually happens when I'm accelerating from a standstill. After shift from first to second, and I'm accelerating in second from roughly around 2000 to 3000 RPM the throttle starts pulsing. Almost like its hesitating.

I have my foot pretty still on the accelerator, and some occasions they're very light, and other times it is very noticeable.

Could this be the traction control doing it's work?

It happens very rarely, but I'm making sure it's not an issue with my transmission. My car only has 4700 miles on it.

Thanks for any help.

Old 11-27-2015, 09:50 PM
5 Year Member
2015 ex manual and i have EXACTLY the same thing........very good description! if this was an older car i would be worried, but unfortunately i think it is "normal" there are other threads about it.

2 things
its drive by wire.
its Gasoline direct injection

the very general answer as crazy as it sounds is "shift at higher RPM".

i doubt this will ever be "fixed"..if its actually a problem

Old 11-28-2015, 09:29 AM
Mine does the same thing. Even after the coil replacement

Old 11-28-2015, 10:33 AM
I have an LX CVT and mine does this as well, while accelerating usually between 2100rpm and 2500rpm. Anyone else with a LX CVT have this problem?

Old 11-28-2015, 06:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Stingray
Mine does the same thing. Even after the coil replacement

same here. only when it is cold though, never have an issue after running it 10-15 minutes.

Old 11-29-2015, 09:26 AM
5 Year Member
Mine will do it in first if I bog the engine a bit on take off..

Old 12-07-2015, 07:58 PM
Yeah, it became more pronounced during the winter time. It was easier to dismiss during the summer because it happened less frequently.

Old 12-07-2015, 09:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by beamerjld
I have an LX CVT and mine does this as well, while accelerating usually between 2100rpm and 2500rpm. Anyone else with a LX CVT have this problem?
This is a different problem. I have both, the one OP describes, and this one as well. The power drop between 2100 and 2500 is different, in that it dips, then resumes. OP's problem is almost like a sputtering dying engine.

It makes the manual very hard to drive smoothly, even one year in (had mine since Sept 2015). It is like the engine is hesitating between power and dying. Mine revs on and off with quick pauses, like vroom - vroom - VROOM and the car violently oscillates back and forth with power then nothing. I think this would be a manual issue only, because of the interaction between the clutch and throttle.

It helps to rev higher, but still, it shouldn't be an issue. I'm thinking it's because of the efficiency, that maybe they made the engine run as lean as possible? No idea.

LX 6MT here btw

Old 12-07-2015, 10:16 PM
5 Year Member
last nite i was coming up a steep hill with the family in car, not flooring it but not idling and even though i thought i was keeping my foot evenly on the gas pedal you could feel it "surging" and then "dropping" power it seemed.its definitely more noticeable if the engine is cold...and who wants to rev a cold engine????

Old 12-11-2015, 12:32 PM
I thought I was just still used to the feel of the soft clutch (compared to the hd one on my vw). Didn't know all of them did this. A little concerning..

Old 12-11-2015, 01:00 PM
5 Year Member
Does it happen right after shifting, or even while in 2nd gear for a while? Shifting into 2nd can be pretty tricky because it's so long compared to first gear. I've had my 1st gen Fit since 2008 and I still have trouble catching 2nd smoothly here and there and it will feel like what you're describing. Also, our cars seem to have very loose engine mounts so when I accelerate, the engine kind of rocks and forth in place and also interrupts a "smooth engine response."

Old 12-11-2015, 04:39 PM
Originally Posted by accordguyintake
Does it happen right after shifting, or even while in 2nd gear for a while? Shifting into 2nd can be pretty tricky because it's so long compared to first gear. I've had my 1st gen Fit since 2008 and I still have trouble catching 2nd smoothly here and there and it will feel like what you're describing. Also, our cars seem to have very loose engine mounts so when I accelerate, the engine kind of rocks and forth in place and also interrupts a "smooth engine response."
I think you're right on the fact that there's a big jump in ratios between 1st and 2nd. This afternoon I let the Fit rev higher in 1st before shifting and it felt very smooth.

Aside from this, I have been cruising in 3rd or 4th went to accelerate and felt a studder/hiccup...felt like a misfire. Only happened twice. I am now sitting around 16,000km.

Old 12-12-2015, 04:34 AM
5 Year Member
Yes happend the same with me since new and even I got to the dealer it did not show up when he drove it. It is like at 30 km/h on second gear when going slow to medium speed. It feels like a small rear end.

Originally Posted by beamerjld
CVT there is a recall for that. Look in the forum or honda page for it.

Old 01-18-2016, 10:20 AM
Here is my story about engine hesitation. Anyone else have this issue? Were you able to resolve it?

I bought the first 2015 Mystic Yellow Pearl Fit EX with 6 speed manual that was available in Southern California in August of 2014. I had to go 150 miles to L.A. to buy the car. A month later, my best friend bought a black Fit EX 6 speed. Both of us had a superb experience with our 2010 Fit Sports, and we expected the same or better from the new and improved 2015 Fit. Well, there is a hesitation issue that has soured our satisfaction with our 2015 Fits.

When I take off from a stop, the engine will buck momentarily as I release the clutch. Having driven manual transmission for decades, I can state with certainty that this is not a driver's error. The same momentary hesitation happens when I shift from 1st to 2nd, and from 2nd to 3rd. Although the hesitation is most noticeable in the lowest gears, I can hear the "miss" each time I shift into the next highest gear. When I'm creeping in bumper to bumper traffic and then get to go, pressing on the accelerator yields a momentary buck and then goes. There have been a few times when making a left hand turn that I'll press the gas to go, and the car will surge and cut out repeatedly making vroom, vroom, vroom sound while the car bucks as if I'm pumping the gas. This can be a safety issue when we expect the car to go, and instead the car hesitates and bucks instead of just taking off.

I called American Honda over a year ago. They had me make an appointment with the service manager at a local dealer. They connected the car to the scope, and found that all systems checked out to be with in specification parameters. The service manager rode with me and observed the problem. He thought that this was a software update issue that Honda would fix once they figured it out. He asked me to return after I had over 10,000 miles on the car. I called American Honda again in December of 2015. Set up another appointment. Once again, the scope did not identify anything wrong with the car and that everything was "within specs". This time, a mechanic drove with me. Although I would point out each obvious incident of hesitation, the mechanic was careful not to agree that there was a problem and that the scope did not indicate that the car has ever misfired. He mentioned that the car's system will collect data if the car should misfire and record 15 seconds before and after the incident for Honda Service technicians to review. He added that the computerized ignition might cause what seems like hesitation because of the complexity of the electronics, and that this is a characteristic of many new cars. I call BS on that remark. It's a cop out. At one point he suggested that it might be the way I drive the car. This comment annoyed me. I quickly replied that I've been driving manual transmission only for decades, I had a 2010 Fit that did not have this issue at all, and regardless of the scope results that indicates that all systems were "in spec", the bottom line is that the car does not run properly and for a new car under warranty, I want it fixed.

So twice now, I've not been given any satisfaction to this issue. I called American Honda again and will go have the car checked out by another local Honda dealer. As much as I love this little car other than the hesitation issue, if Honda cannot correct the hesitation issue, I will sell the car and buy a Mazda 3. I'm not happy that Honda designed and produced a car with an inherent performance issue and left the dealers stuck with listening to customer complaints about something that they can't fix.

I would love to hear from any of you that have experienced similar issues, especially if you were able to get it resolved. I'm sure that tuner modified Honda Fits that were featured in the SEMA show did not have this hesitation issue, but I don't want to modify the car and void the warranty.

Old 01-19-2016, 12:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by PJ Villaflor
I have a 2015 GK5 EX manual. On very rare occasions I have this odd thing that happens in second gear.

It usually happens when I'm accelerating from a standstill. After shift from first to second, and I'm accelerating in second from roughly around 2000 to 3000 RPM the throttle starts pulsing. Almost like its hesitating.

I have my foot pretty still on the accelerator, and some occasions they're very light, and other times it is very noticeable.

Could this be the traction control doing it's work?

It happens very rarely, but I'm making sure it's not an issue with my transmission. My car only has 4700 miles on it.

Thanks for any help.
Originally Posted by sdbikedude@yahoo.com
Here is my story about engine hesitation. Anyone else have this issue? Were you able to resolve it?

I bought the first 2015 Mystic Yellow Pearl Fit EX with 6 speed manual that was available in Southern California in August of 2014. I had to go 150 miles to L.A. to buy the car. A month later, my best friend bought a black Fit EX 6 speed. Both of us had a superb experience with our 2010 Fit Sports, and we expected the same or better from the new and improved 2015 Fit. Well, there is a hesitation issue that has soured our satisfaction with our 2015 Fits.

When I take off from a stop, the engine will buck momentarily as I release the clutch. Having driven manual transmission for decades, I can state with certainty that this is not a driver's error. The same momentary hesitation happens when I shift from 1st to 2nd, and from 2nd to 3rd. Although the hesitation is most noticeable in the lowest gears, I can hear the "miss" each time I shift into the next highest gear. When I'm creeping in bumper to bumper traffic and then get to go, pressing on the accelerator yields a momentary buck and then goes. There have been a few times when making a left hand turn that I'll press the gas to go, and the car will surge and cut out repeatedly making vroom, vroom, vroom sound while the car bucks as if I'm pumping the gas. This can be a safety issue when we expect the car to go, and instead the car hesitates and bucks instead of just taking off.

I called American Honda over a year ago. They had me make an appointment with the service manager at a local dealer. They connected the car to the scope, and found that all systems checked out to be with in specification parameters. The service manager rode with me and observed the problem. He thought that this was a software update issue that Honda would fix once they figured it out. He asked me to return after I had over 10,000 miles on the car. I called American Honda again in December of 2015. Set up another appointment. Once again, the scope did not identify anything wrong with the car and that everything was "within specs". This time, a mechanic drove with me. Although I would point out each obvious incident of hesitation, the mechanic was careful not to agree that there was a problem and that the scope did not indicate that the car has ever misfired. He mentioned that the car's system will collect data if the car should misfire and record 15 seconds before and after the incident for Honda Service technicians to review. He added that the computerized ignition might cause what seems like hesitation because of the complexity of the electronics, and that this is a characteristic of many new cars. I call BS on that remark. It's a cop out. At one point he suggested that it might be the way I drive the car. This comment annoyed me. I quickly replied that I've been driving manual transmission only for decades, I had a 2010 Fit that did not have this issue at all, and regardless of the scope results that indicates that all systems were "in spec", the bottom line is that the car does not run properly and for a new car under warranty, I want it fixed.

So twice now, I've not been given any satisfaction to this issue. I called American Honda again and will go have the car checked out by another local Honda dealer. As much as I love this little car other than the hesitation issue, if Honda cannot correct the hesitation issue, I will sell the car and buy a Mazda 3. I'm not happy that Honda designed and produced a car with an inherent performance issue and left the dealers stuck with listening to customer complaints about something that they can't fix.

I would love to hear from any of you that have experienced similar issues, especially if you were able to get it resolved. I'm sure that tuner modified Honda Fits that were featured in the SEMA show did not have this hesitation issue, but I don't want to modify the car and void the warranty.

I have autocrossed many cars with traction control (manuals only) and leaving it on will create a hesitation that will feel like a misfire. Since I have received my 2015 Fit LX, I never leave traction control on. I do not have the same hesitations that everyone experiences. So try that instead. However, when I am in 2nd gear at 4krpms and then I floor it, I will spin the tires. If you have traction on, you might get a hesitation. So try driving with it off.

Old 01-19-2016, 04:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JN2k108
I have autocrossed many cars with traction control (manuals only) and leaving it on will create a hesitation that will feel like a misfire. Since I have received my 2015 Fit LX, I never leave traction control on. I do not have the same hesitations that everyone experiences. So try that instead. However, when I am in 2nd gear at 4krpms and then I floor it, I will spin the tires. If you have traction on, you might get a hesitation. So try driving with it off.
It is not the tration control. My honda fit does not have and it still "pulse" or "rear end" in second around 3k going slow not when shifting gear.

Old 01-19-2016, 07:55 PM
Originally Posted by JN2k108
Thanks for the info. I'm all over it. I have never explored that feature and will have to look in the owner's manual to see how to shut it off. I'm going right out to my car to do it now. I'll keep you posted.

Old 01-19-2016, 08:03 PM
5 Year Member
My 07 sport does not have TC,, But I've noticed that if I hit standing water and get it to hydroplane it will shut off the cruise control. SO there is something in there monitoring for wheel spin. :shrug:

Old 01-19-2016, 08:03 PM
Turning off the traction control was easy. There is a small button on the left lower side of the dash. I pressed the button, and nothing happened. Then I pressed and held the button. 2 seconds later, I heard a beep, and the traction control indicator in the gauge showed OFF. I really hope that this will be the fix for the annoying hesitation.

Old 01-20-2016, 02:40 PM
m_x
Hi, just want to post my experience. I have owned a GK since 8/2015, built 6/2015. I was the first person to write about this problem on FitFreak and start taking it to the dealer. Over a year in and here is my take:
1) The stutter is 100% unchanged since I first noticed it 30,000 miles ago. It only happens under the same conditions that have always made it happen. It has not gotten more frequent; doesn't happen at any other point in the power band besides the low 2k's where it always happened; and it has not gotten any more intense when it does happen.
2) IT WILL NOT HAPPEN IF YOU REV 1ST GEAR HIGHER. I admit, I was not happy with that solution when I first got it from the dealer. I was still "breaking in" my engine and thinking of fuel economy and I didn't like the noise of revving 1st. Since then though, it has just naturally become my driving style and I don't often experience any shuttering. Rev 1st to around 4k and shift into 2nd when the tack drops down to 2.5k or so. You'll be higher in the PB than where the stutter happens, and it won't stutter.
3) My engine has never once actually stalled, or even really seemed like it was about to stall, as a result of this.

All told, I don't think about it. I don't believe it is a problem or something that will need/cause to need any repairs. The fact that so many MT Fit drivers experience it strongly concludes that it is not some fluke or fault with individual cars. But like most other complaints on this forum, only time will tell which are actually valid problems.

P.S. I recall another user discussing the VSA (traction control) in regards to driving in snow. He said he needed to remove a fuse from a fuse panel to truly disable the system. He said that you can use the button to disable to VSA, but it automatically reengages when you shift into 2nd gear. I didn't follow up on these claims, but if they are true you may need to do a little more for that solution.