3rd Generation GK Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 3rd generation Honda Fit (GK)

Startup Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 04:09 PM
Startup Rattle

Hello all,

My 2015 Fit with just over 40K has started to exhibit a short rattle when started up cold. Is this something familiar to anyone else? What needs to be done to resolve it?

Old 03-21-2018, 01:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 9exponent
Hello all,

My 2015 Fit with just over 40K has started to exhibit a short rattle when started up cold. Is this something familiar to anyone else? What needs to be done to resolve it?
my 2015 fit with 24k miles started doing this also but after I changed the engine oil the rattle stopped. It never came back after 2 weeks already

Old 03-21-2018, 01:55 PM
5 Year Member
Imagine getting these multiple times per day, like I did... for 3 years ... every single day. Dealer played the "cannot replicate" card on me so I learned to live with these rattles until 130k kms when I traded the car in. Motor never had an issue and power was always great along with fuel economy.

There's a service bulletin 16-088. Download it here:
http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/p...nu/A16-088.PDF

It outlines the exact repair procedure in replacing the VTC actuator along with a few other misc items.

But if you get the rattles occasionally, or a few times in the winter season ... I would not worry about it.

Here's a video with a sample rattle:

Old 03-21-2018, 02:24 PM
5 Year Member
The GK fit actually has updated part numbers for the replacement VTC. Here's additional service bulletins for other recent models.

2013−16 Accord L4 and 2015−16 CR-V
http://techinfo.honda.com/Rjanisis/p...nu/A18010F.PDF

2008−12 Accord L4, 2012−15 Crosstour L4, and 2012−14 CR-V
http://techinfo.honda.com/Rjanisis/p...nu/A15110E.PDF

They state clearly that replacing the existing VTC with the same part number will not fix the issue. The VTC is actually not faulty. It's a "by design" unintended consequence.

Old 03-21-2018, 02:25 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by payluder
my 2015 fit with 24k miles started doing this also but after I changed the engine oil the rattle stopped. It never came back after 2 weeks already
I tried different oil filters and different oils when doing oil changes in my attempt to "fix" the rattles .... with no positive results .... whatsoever.

Old 03-24-2018, 01:39 PM
Thanks so much for the information, guys!

That work seems beyond what I am comfortable performing myself, so I am glad that it’s not a critical issue. But it is disconcerting when heard! How much did the issue play into you trading in your car, CommanderSlug?

Old 03-24-2018, 02:26 PM
5 Year Member
But it is disconcerting when heard! How much did the issue play into you trading in your car, CommanderSlug?
When they looked at my car for trade-in valuation, they did not even test drive it, as the kia dealer manager did. I was surprised about that. I noticed that the [honda] dealer was interested in money money money ... so they paid very little attention to the car. They did not even ask me if the car has any existing issues. On top of that I gave them a very reasonable valuation ... which further steered their attention to signing a deal right away ... which I did.

So after I signed all the paperwork and after they picked up the keys .... how should I say ... "no longer my problem". Besides, there's internal notes at the dealer who did warranty work on it in the past that they "could not replicate" issue.

Truth be told, despite the obviously concerning rattles ... the car never let me down.

Old 03-24-2018, 03:18 PM
The Honda dealership I trader my old Accord into did not care much for my account of the condition, either. As far as I can tell, they hooked it up to an OBD2 scanner and gave me a corresponding list price. They valued the car higher than my estimation, based on mechanical bits I could feel wearing out.

I was just curious if you came back to the Honda fold, or what you ended up with.

Old 03-24-2018, 07:13 PM
5 Year Member

I was just curious if you came back to the Honda fold, or what you ended up with.

The trade in was a 2015 Fit 6MT. The replacement is a low mileage (10k miles) 2016 EX-L navi. I love the CVT. Rpm's stay so low it's unbelievable. I already heard the VTC rattle lightly once in the week I had it so far, but nowhere near how crazy it was on the trade-in. They changed the oil before I received it, but the coolant tank was empty, so I had them fill it up. The only thing missing on this thing is remote start, which I will be installing shortly.

Last edited by CommanderSlug; 03-24-2018 at 07:18 PM.
Old 03-25-2018, 02:10 PM
Glad you’re still one of us!

I hear the CVT is really good, especially if you spend a lot of time on the highway. While I would have a hard time giving up the great manual transmission, the gearing is stupidly short for high-speed cruising.

Old 07-24-2018, 09:20 PM
5 Year Member
Sorry to bring this topic back from the dead - but does anyone know if the dealers have acknowledged this as an issue? I experience this twice a day every single day ranging from a slight grind to one that lasts a full second after starting the vehicle from cold. It turns heads in parking lots and is REALLY annoying.

I presume it isn't causing any damage, but what part would I need to buy to solve this issue, or am I just stuck with it?

Also, those PDF links that were posted earlier are broken - what did those entail?

Old 07-24-2018, 10:17 PM
5 Year Member
tastypotato: what mileage and model year you have?

TSB 16-088 Titled: "Engine Rattles at Cold Startup" outlines the step by step VTC actuator replacement. It's not a simple procedure for diy, but can be done.

I lived with those crazy rattles for a good 70k miles. Got rid of car at 80k but the engine was still pulling strong. The rattles did not do any damage and despite sounding terrible, did not get worst either. They give you the impression that the engine will brake down at any time during start-up or something major will go wrong... but it never happens.

Honda has the same problem with some 2.4 liter accord / crv models and their first suggestion in their first TSB was to do nothing about it ... which makes sense since the rattles indeed do not do any damage. Older toyota matrixes also have this issue. I also heard this Hyundai my coworker has do this every start when she leaves to drive back home.

part# in pdf is listed as 14310-5R1-013 for the VTC actuator. But note the pdf also lists other misc parts to be replaced alongside.

I would suggest you live with it if you want so save a couple of bucks. I own the 2016 fit now and I basically never got the rattles with this one.

Old 07-24-2018, 11:29 PM
5 Year Member
I've got a 2015 LX 6MT and I'm at 88k right now. I've been dealing with it pretty much since day one but over the past ~20k or so it's started to get worse or at least seams like it is.

I'm no newbie when it comes to auto repair, I just have zero experience with the Fit and/or L series engines. Done more damn timing belts on D series' then I can count...

I'm going to be having to pull the AC compressor off sometime shortly too due to the compressor clutch bearing squealing like a dying animal, so I figured while I'm down there... It does seem like a lot of work for something that may not even necessarily be fixed by replacing it though. :/

Old 07-25-2018, 12:11 AM
5 Year Member