3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

2015 Fit EX has problems starting

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 09:47 AM
2015 Fit EX has problems starting

Hello all! Long-time lurker, first time poster. I've got a bit of a pickle and, since the problem isn't "safety-related," the soonest I can get an appointment with Service is Thursday of next week. I was wondering if any of you had some knowledge you can drop on this issue, in the hopes that there is actually an easy solution to this. I'll try to provide as much detail as possible (a lot of what I describe may be unrelated:

- Since Monday, the "Engine On" button on my 2015 Fit has been sporadically responsive. It will turn power on and activate the dash, but doesn't start the engine. Turning everything off and waiting about 30 seconds, try again, and then repeat as needed has worked. Although this process can be as quick as working the second time you try, or can take as many as 15-20 tries before it finally works.

- This problem occurs at any given time, but seems to take less tries once the car is warmed up (sometimes, but not always, starting on the first try within 5 minutes of turning off). A cold engine usually takes the most tries.

- I have checked the Troubleshooting in the manual, which says to check the interior lights to see if the battery is OK (it is), and then just says to go to the Fuse section, which doesn't help me much as I have no clue what I am looking for there.

- When pressing the brake pedal to start the car, it goes in almost all of the way at first. Upon repeating, though, it gets stiffer and stiffer. Unless the car is warm, it tends not to start until the brake pedal is VERY stiff.

That's about all I can think of, if you need /want me to try something or provide more info, please do let me know.

-twdc

Old 05-16-2019, 10:08 AM
5 Year Member
Similar thing happened to my ‘15 Fit. Intermittent failure to start when the button was pushed. It turned out to be a bad starter motor.

Old 05-16-2019, 11:30 AM
5 Year Member
This may be telling you something...
When pressing the brake pedal to start the car, it goes in almost all of the way at first. Upon repeating, though, it gets stiffer and stiffer. Unless the car is warm, it tends not to start until the brake pedal is VERY stiff.

Old 05-16-2019, 01:18 PM
Originally Posted by wasserball
This may be telling you something...
When pressing the brake pedal to start the car, it goes in almost all of the way at first. Upon repeating, though, it gets stiffer and stiffer. Unless the car is warm, it tends not to start until the brake pedal is VERY stiff.
Well, sure... but what is it trying to tell me? I'm afriad I'm a bit ignorant on that front...

Old 05-16-2019, 01:23 PM
5 Year Member
Forget about the brake pedal, as Uncle Gary has said, your starter motor is going. There has been a constant dribble of posts from people here about the starter motor problems on the Fit. This thing should last for absolutely forever but it doesn't. One person after another has been reporting this problem. Unfortunately if you're off warranty replacing it will be on your dime.

Old 05-16-2019, 01:25 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by thewhitedrewcarey
Well, sure... but what is it trying to tell me? I'm afriad I'm a bit ignorant on that front...
My assumption is that the starting process is related to an issue with your brakes, from a safety point of view. Pumping the brakes to get it firmed up implies there is air in the brake system. How about replacing the brake fluids and get rid of the air in the brake system. Regardless of whether this is a possible issue, it should be corrected.

Last edited by wasserball; 05-16-2019 at 01:28 PM.
Old 05-17-2019, 10:26 AM
To begin, thanks for all of your help and advice!

So, here's an interesting development: As of about 5pm my time yesterday, the "symptom" I reported regarding the brakes has reverted back to normal. Now when pressing the brake pedal before turning the car on, it feels "normal" (or, at least, like it used to) and, more to the point, it is consistent in that it doesn't get progressively stiffer the more you pump it. Aaaaannndd...

...the car now starts the first time, every time (at least for the five times I have driven it since).

Hmmm... So, aside from the known Starter Motor issues, maybe in this case it *was* something with the brakes? My suspicion, even before @wasserball expanded on his own guess, was that maybe the sensor which say "meatbag behind the wheel has the brake pressed, you can turn on now" wasn't registering? Dunno, but I think I'll still keep the appointment even if it continues to work. The car is still under warranty, and just because it is working at the moment doesn't mean that there isn't something faulty.

Old 05-17-2019, 10:55 AM
5 Year Member
If the car is still under warranty it is extremely important to keep the appointment with Honda and report this problem and have them check it out. Even if they find nothing it becomes a problem which was documented while under warranty and once your warranty expires if the problem comes back you now have leverage with Honda arguing that it occurred under warranty and should have been fixed under warranty. Honda will agree with this argument and although they may not fully cover any subsequent repair they should at least meet you part way.

Old 05-17-2019, 11:28 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by thewhitedrewcarey
To begin, thanks for all of your help and advice!

So, here's an interesting development: As of about 5pm my time yesterday, the "symptom" I reported regarding the brakes has reverted back to normal. Now when pressing the brake pedal before turning the car on, it feels "normal" (or, at least, like it used to) and, more to the point, it is consistent in that it doesn't get progressively stiffer the more you pump it. Aaaaannndd...

...the car now starts the first time, every time (at least for the five times I have driven it since).

Hmmm... So, aside from the known Starter Motor issues, maybe in this case it *was* something with the brakes? My suspicion, even before @wasserball expanded on his own guess, was that maybe the sensor which say "meatbag behind the wheel has the brake pressed, you can turn on now" wasn't registering? Dunno, but I think I'll still keep the appointment even if it continues to work. The car is still under warranty, and just because it is working at the moment doesn't mean that there isn't something faulty.
I have a LX CVT that uses a key to start. I do not need to press the brakes to start the car when it is in Park.

Old 05-17-2019, 12:30 PM
5 Year Member
Starter. Multiple reports on these. Including my own '16. I just got mine replaced last week. Check these threads. Get with American Honda Customer Service and get a case open before you head to dealership. Give them the name and extension of the case manager and ask them to contact them.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...er-issues.html
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...n-t-start.html
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...2015-ex-l.html
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...ont-start.html
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...tery-good.html
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...placement.html
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...placement.html