Wiring Amp and Subwoofer Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2019, 10:28 PM
Wiring Amp and Subwoofer Questions

Hello,

The girlfriend is buying a 2016 Honda Fit EX. She'd like for me to install a sub in her new car. We'll be installing the Rockford Fosgate P300-12 which is an all-in-one with both line level and speaker level inputs. I was anticipating tapping to the left and right rear speakers and running that to the sub/amp. We're tentatively picking the car up tomorrow and I'm just trying to plan ahead to tackle this project once we have warmer weather. Would would be the easiest and most convenient location for me to tap into the left and right rear speaker wires? Is there a piller where the wiring runs through and then splits to the left and right that I could get access to, tap into, and then run to the rear? Or am I gonna be best off taping them in the door itself near where they plug into the door speakers and figuring out some way to run that through the door channel to the rear?

I've wired several sound systems before but only in cars that have aftermarket head units and line outs. Before you shout at me about my choice in components and what not, keep in mind, this is not meant to be an audiophile build. My girlfriend just likes a more bass in her vehicles.

Thanks in advance for any help you have to offer.

Old 03-09-2019, 12:30 AM
Search this forum there are others that have done exactly what you seek and very successful. I went all out with custom harnesses and a full Kenwood system and I absolutely love the sound and the sense of accomplishment.

You should be able to tap the rear door speakers through the b-pillars where the front seat belts mount, just know the output is about 3-6db less than the front, so your sub will have to be able to compensate.

Cheers bud!

Bass

Old 03-09-2019, 05:33 PM
Hey, thanks a lot! Sorry I just joined yesterday and asked my question quickly without properly searching (the cardinal sin of forum etiquette!)

I'll ask here really quickly because you seem to be the most knowledgeable regarding the Fit's audio wiring and I don't want to hijack a thread. I see in the other post by UnFitRick (who is literally wiring up the same exact system as me more or less) that the speaker wires he tapped into were pink and blue. His is a 2019, our's is a 2016. Do you know if the wires are the same color off hand?

FYI, we took possession of the Fit today and drove it the 150 miles home or so. It is a joy so far.

Old 03-09-2019, 11:20 PM
Honestly not sure the color sadly. It may be the same colors for the entire GK generation. I have a 2017 now, but did not tap at the rear speakers. Should be easy enough to remove the door skin, pull the speaker out, look at the wire colors, and follow them behind the b-pillar where you can tap them.

Old 03-09-2019, 11:24 PM
Alright, appreciate the assistance. It's my girl's car now so I wanna make sure I do it right. Can't go cludging it up.

Old 03-10-2019, 05:22 PM
Originally Posted by TheTeaHermit
Alright, appreciate the assistance. It's my girl's car now so I wanna make sure I do it right. Can't go cludging it up.

Yeah women are like that. I got married and all the disposable income went to a new house and the bills that come with it lol

Old 03-11-2019, 07:25 AM
5 Year Member
Wire Location Wire Color
Left front speaker/tweeter positive (+): white, negative (-): black
Right front speaker/tweeter positive (+): red, negative (-): green
Left rear speaker positive (+): violet, negative (-): gray
Right rear speaker positive (+): blue, negative (-): pink
Vehicle speed sense (some models only) Radio, 24-pin plug (C), pin 14 or below dash fuse box, 25-pin plug, pin 18 - blue
Reverse (+) Dash fuse box, 52-pin plug (N), pin 1 - brown
Parking brake At parking brake switch, 1-pin plug, pin 1 - blue
Foot brake At brake switch or dash fuse box, 40-pin plug (Q), pin 8 - light green

Old 01-18-2023, 10:51 PM
Add a subwoofer to stock radio without cutting

I was fortunate to have found a aftermarket harness to add a line out from the head unit without cutting any factory wires. Product does what it needs , although after adding a 12" sub pushing around 500 watts I found the highs getting washed out.... 😑 Currently working on adding a four channel for the highs and adding a 4 channel EQ to split the signal. My goal with this build was to retain the factory nav/cd/media player and not cut any wires.
Here's the link for that product for all that are interested. Factory Radio Add A Amp Amplifier Sub Interface Wire Harness Inline Converter Compatible with Honda https://a.co/d/4s3qJNa
I will try to update with the build. I've also run into power issues and looking to do the big 3 if anyone has any tips to share that would be great! 👍

Old 01-19-2023, 03:41 AM
If you push the factory head unit to keep up with the sub, you might be disappointed as pushing about 100+watts rms to door speakers will reveal the noise floor. You might hear a constant hiss unless your factory head unit is better than my '16. If pushing about 55watts rms to the doors on factory head unit, you'll be fine, but 500 watt rms sub will be overpowering and this is probably suitable for a basshead, not really a balanced SQ setup from my experience (and tastes).