Sirius/XM for 2015

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 05:14 PM
Sirius/XM for 2015

If I'm understanding the Honda site correctly it looks like you have to order the EX-L Nav. to get built in Sirius/XM.

Does anyone know if there is a way to get Sirius/XM with an EX-L

I did not see it as an upgrade unless you ordered the Nav.?

Maybe the only way is it install aftermarket?

Thanks

R

Old 06-29-2014, 05:42 PM
You are right, I would like Nav and XM but don't want leather.

Old 06-29-2014, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator
The other option is to get a Sirius Onyx EZ unit + vehicle kit. Connection is via the vehicle's FM radio frequency.

Old 06-29-2014, 06:15 PM
I tried the FM frequency option in the past and I wasn't happy with it.

There was always a slight "hiss" that could be heard at low volumes.

Not sure if it was just my system or something others had experienced.

I guess if you don't want the Nav. the only way is new after market stereo.

I guess my follow up question is how do after market stereos interface with existing streering wheel controls?

Old 06-30-2014, 09:24 AM
5 Year Member
I just got a SiriusXM Onyx EZ installed. I had XM previously with my Sonata (built in) and missed it terribly when I bought a new Fit EX a couple of weeks ago. I called to cancel XM, and they badly wanted me to stay.... call went like this (heavily abridged):

Me: I want to cancel because my new car doesn't have an XM radio.
XM: Keep your service and we'll give you a free refurbished Onyx EZ.
Me: How do you install it?
XM: Easy. Run this wire here, hook this other one there, put an antenna on the roof, run a wire....
Me: Nevermind. I've gotten too old to want to route wires and take pieces of my car apart.
Them: OK, then we'll also give you a free prepaid installation card which can be used at select local installers.
Me: Deal.

So if you already had XM service with another car, they will go through a lot of trouble to keep you.

The installer couldn't find a practical way of routing the cable if he had mounted it in the center over the existing system, so he put it on the dash to the left of the steering wheel next to that little triangular window. No cables are hanging out. It does use FM to transmit to the factory system.

I had problems with an FM transmitting system years ago (I think it was an old MP3 player about a decade ago), but I haven't had any issues with this one over the weekend that I've had it installed so far. No hiss or interference that I can hear. Sounds fine. I'd have preferred an auxiliary connection, but for some bizarre reason the 2015 Fit's system has every kind of connection imaginable EXCEPT the standard 3.5mm mini. I don't travel much, so the FM frequency which the installer preset for me has been working fine (even with a trip from Atlanta to Helen, GA), but I would expect that a long trip would run me into something broadcasting on that frequency and eventually I'm going to need to see how easy it is to change the frequency on it.

Or I could even run into the problem I had years ago with that MP3 player's FM transmitter when I took a trip to DC, and couldn't find ANY frequency among the ones available for use that weren't picking up something and making the player sound horrible. That one was low quality nonetheless, because even in Atlanta, on an unused frequency, it never was clear. This XM/Sirius unit IS broadcasting perfectly clearly as far as I can tell, so I have hope that it could very well do fine while traveling, perhaps with an occasional need to change frequencies.

That's my experience and how I solved it, but there may be another better option. This solution was very cheap, though. Not completely pretty, but it works well.

Old 06-30-2014, 09:44 AM
Thanks for the info. Nice to hear that Sirius/XM is motivated to keep their customer base. This might be helpful information in near future.

"I'd have preferred an auxiliary connection, but for some bizarre reason the 2015 Fit's system has every kind of connection imaginable EXCEPT the standard 3.5mm mini."

That is super surprising for 2015 car stereo! What is Honda thinking?

Old 07-01-2014, 02:00 PM
Angry 3.5mm aux input

The LX has it but the EX doesn't. Go figure. Maybe someone can figure out how to hack one in like with previous models.

Old 09-14-2014, 08:13 PM
xm sirius

Has anyone tried to install XM/SIRIUS using a usb to 3.5mm adapter cable for aux in, (via usb). I just ordered a cable off fleabay for under $4 Then to find a way to run the antenna in, the only easy part is the 5V to 12V adapter and ground. It seems the worst choice for me, is to use FM modulator behind the radio. I've heard it kills your AM radio, which I use a lot....maybe enough here to start a new thread??? There has to be someone here smarter than me on sound systems and related stuff.....PS I will not brag about my recent 2000 mi
trip avg 43mpg 70 to 75 mph air and radio on HI.....

Old 09-14-2014, 09:34 PM
I have to call Sirius tomorrow to "cancel." I'm hoping they give me the same deal they gave ChrisJones above. I can live without satellite radio but I don't want to.

Old 09-15-2014, 02:21 AM
Oddly enough, I was going to come here today to mention something I found on Honda's site:

Honda Media Newsroom - Fit - 2015 Honda Fit - Audio and Telematics

"On the EX-L Navi trim, the tuner is upgraded with HD Radio™5 reception and SiriusXM® Radio6 (SiriusXM available on EX and EX-L as an accessory)."

Now I want to find out about this too, since I didn't really want leather seats.

Old 09-15-2014, 11:09 AM
Date

NOTICE...Acter's link is dated April 9 2014.....I think there's a lot of wishful thinking in that link....

Last edited by crash1st; 09-15-2014 at 11:13 AM. Reason: brain fart