iPhone text and email

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2014, 09:25 AM
iPhone text and email

Just picked up my new EX 6MT PBP! Waited 30 days but it was totally worth it. I've noticed that the text/email feature doesn't work with my iPhone 5s. I checked the hondalink website and it isn't compatible. The only way I can use it is through Siri Eyes Free but she will only let me send outgoing email/text by voice. The car still doesn't let me get notifications or read them to me. This seems weird seeing as how Apple friendly the car seems to be. Anyone know why you can't use this feature with the iPhone 5s?

Also, I'll probably be upgrading to the iPhone 6 in a few months so does anyone know if this function will work on the 6?

Old 09-13-2014, 09:32 AM
Works on the iPhone 5s... at least for texts... you need to enable notifications in the settings of your phone under Bluetooth settings... See earlier posts about this subject... Hope that helps and fixes your situation...

Old 09-13-2014, 10:23 AM
Thanks! I got the texting to work. But for some reason I can't reply from the message notification screen. Thoughts?

Old 09-13-2014, 11:40 AM
You can only reply when stopped (not sure if you have to be in Park or not). I simply use Siri to reply as the reply feature on the car is limited. This is part of the "safety" feature and same reason you can't view things on the screen while driving...

Old 09-14-2014, 01:32 PM
We have a 6 speed so maybe the Park thing is what is messing us up but we weren't moving while we were doing all of this. The car was in neutral with the E brake on. One thing has me perplexed. A text message from another sender (like a regular cell phone) doesn't allow the reply or call functions to work. They are still greyed out. However, last night we got a text message in the car from Verizon (our carrier) letting us know the details of our data usage on our wireless plan. This message from Verizon DID allow for the reply and call back functions! Even though that message is automated and replying or calling will do nothing, so far it has been the only type of text I can reply to. This is really weird.

Siri Eyes free still works and surprisingly works well. I'm impressed how accurate she is in texting and emailing. So in the end, I guess the loss of use of the 6 canned messages in the system is not a big loss but this is really bugging my wife. If anyone has insight, it would be appreciated. I read the other thread on this too but seemed to run into a dead end as well.

I'm chalking it up to iOS/HondaLink software incompatibility.