LX with a memory stick

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 08:38 PM
5 Year Member
LX with a memory stick

Ok, I don't have the deep pockets like you guys and gals with your EX and EX-L models, so I got a LX.

I had a 2 gb Sandisk memory disk sitting around so I downloaded my most frequently played songs from iTunes and inserted the memory stick in my new LX...Wow!

The standard speakers sound really awesome when used to play a HD music source. I am really surprised by the quality and definition of the sound. There are also lots of features that become available when a music source is inserted in the USB port. This car has all sorts of little feature gems just waiting to be discovered.

I like the idea of just leaving the memory stick in the car, which I wouldn't do with my iPad Mini Retina. Do you think anyone would brake into the car if they noticed the memory stick? I wish Honda had added a USB port inside the center arm rest.

The Generation 3 appears to be a Big improvement over my 2012. I'm so happy that I made the move

Old 09-19-2014, 08:51 PM
Break in for a memory stick? I would hope not. A pair of sunglasses is worth more these days.

Old 09-19-2014, 08:57 PM
I would agree - I don't think anyone would break in for a memory stick... If you are really concerned about that you can buy some really tiny (micro) memory sticks by which you could probably close or at least partially close the USB cover to keep it hidden...
Here is a link to a sample -- but I would shop around for pricing to make sure you get the best deal...

Memorex Micro TravelDrive 8 GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive - Newegg.com

Old 09-20-2014, 12:11 AM

hah ha ! oddly enough, i ordered that exact flash drive from Newegg this morning, for exactly the same purpose you guys are talking about... for my LX also.

but no, while there are some pretty low people out there, i doubt they would break in for a flash drive. i just figured that it would be harder to notice one of those micro drives sitting there, so less temptation...

Old 09-20-2014, 10:28 AM
I have a 32GB I leave in mine. Now you got me thinking about hiring a security team to watch my Fit.

Old 09-20-2014, 11:19 AM
I bought a SanDisk Cruiser Fit with 16GB which is a micro sized drive, my understanding is that once inserted the outside cover can be flipped back down concealing it.

Cruzer Fit USB Flash Drive by SanDisk

Old 09-21-2014, 10:44 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bedaz
I bought a SanDisk Cruiser Fit with 16GB which is a micro sized drive,[/url]
Have the same micro-size Thumb drive and just tried it out with about 2GB of MP3 music data. Anyone notice any delay/pause during playback of songs from USB drive? Seems my LX can't keep up with the data ... songs stop for a few seconds then resume playing. Sound quality is great, but the pauses are very annoying.

Last edited by cheesewhiz; 09-21-2014 at 10:48 AM.
Old 09-21-2014, 01:05 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cheesewhiz
Have the same micro-size Thumb drive and just tried it out with about 2GB of MP3 music data. Anyone notice any delay/pause during playback of songs from USB drive? Seems my LX can't keep up with the data ... songs stop for a few seconds then resume playing. Sound quality is great, but the pauses are very annoying.
My LX is not demonstrating the same behavior. Playback, after switching selections is almost instantaneous...very fast.

Old 09-21-2014, 05:35 PM
5 Year Member
Anyone using a memory stick may need to do this.

I downloaded over 1,800 songs to my 8gb memory stick. When selecting the memory stick on Fit's radio I realized that only the first 255 songs are accessible because that is the maximum folder/album size.
I formatted 11 folders on the memory stick, using my PC, and now Fit's radio can see and access all songs in all the folders.

Old 09-21-2014, 11:12 PM
Originally Posted by dave92029
My LX is not demonstrating the same behavior. Playback, after switching selections is almost instantaneous...very fast.
that is what i am seeing... but i am using a 8 GB class 4 SD card from one of my cameras in a USB card reader... at least until the one i ordered from Newegg gets here. if that is any different, i'll report here.

Old 09-24-2014, 02:25 PM
5 Year Member
Spank Dat Booty

I tried a different Memory stick .. a ScanDisk 4GB Cruiser ... now plays instantaneously and seamlessly.

And I lied ... The first stick I used was a PNY 16GB, NOT a ScanDisk. The PNY stick is the one that I experienced annoying pauses during playback. Don't know why.

Last edited by cheesewhiz; 09-24-2014 at 02:29 PM.
Old 09-25-2014, 03:04 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cheesewhiz
I tried a different Memory stick .. a ScanDisk 4GB Cruiser ... now plays instantaneously and seamlessly.

And I lied ... The first stick I used was a PNY 16GB, NOT a ScanDisk. The PNY stick is the one that I experienced annoying pauses during playback. Don't know why.
I just purchased a 8 GB PNY micro Attache memory stick ( so I can partially close the lid and conceal the memory) and it also works very fast without delays between selections.

I'm very satisfied with the speed and response of the radio/memory stick. It sounds great also!

Old 09-25-2014, 06:18 PM
Do you think anyone would brake into the car if they noticed the memory stick?
Funny question and a bit subjective. When I lived in a "not so nice" part of town I saw two guys breaking in to a car. They got in and took off running with one of those 3-4 feet bags of peanuts, restaurant size. They didn't take anything else. I couldn't believe it but then again, the Raiders game was starting in a few hours and I guess they didnt want to pay for snacks.

Old 09-29-2014, 10:24 AM
5 Year Member
I'm very satisfied with the speed and response of the radio/memory stick. It sounds great also!
Agreed! My love of this little car went up about 20 MORE notches! Sounds great and great bass response (so much better that the radio ... but that's to be expected)

Anyone using a memory stick may need to do this.
Good info, thanks! Followed your advice and am now using the "folder-shuffle" feature ... very cool!

Old 09-29-2014, 12:11 PM
Originally Posted by jbuttler007
Funny question and a bit subjective. When I lived in a "not so nice" part of town I saw two guys breaking in to a car. They got in and took off running with one of those 3-4 feet bags of peanuts, restaurant size. They didn't take anything else. I couldn't believe it but then again, the Raiders game was starting in a few hours and I guess they didnt want to pay for snacks.
Several years ago I owned a condo in Brentwood (west LA), which is considered a very nice neighborhood. The condo has a security gate to the underground garage, that can be opened with a security code. We had several cars that were broken into to get the loose change that people kept in their center console.

The part of town or value of the items is not relevant. Some people breakin to nice cars in good neighborhoods because the people doing the breakin do not own nice cars or live in the nice area.