3.5 Audio Aux convertor for Fit EX

Old 02-02-2015, 07:55 AM
3.5 Audio Aux convertor for Fit EX

Since the Fit EX has no 3.5 mm aduio AUX plug, I was wondering if anybody has been able to find a convertor or adapter to make it possible to use a 3.5 mm audio AUX to input into the HDMI plug or the USB plug.

I think it would require something with a chip to convert the analog audio signal to digital. I see a lot of converters out there that convert the digital HDMI signal to analog audio for an AUX+VGA connector, but that's going in the wrong direction for this.

Not a biggie since Bluetooth and USB will do the trick for most of what we might want to connect, but we have a few things where AUX would still be a nice option.

Thanks!

Old 02-02-2015, 01:13 PM
Not only would the audio signal have to be converted to digital, the head unit would have to be fooled into thinking that the input was coming from some sort of USB storage device. There are cables out there, but they are for computers and need to have drivers loaded on the computer. With a proprietary head unit you're out of luck. Shoulda bought an LX!

Old 02-02-2015, 03:53 PM
I tried to use a simple USB to 3.5 Audio plug and it didn't work. I am guessing the audio unit just didn't really know what kind of signal I was trying pump into it. Looks like the HDMI to 3.5 Audio plug probably has the same issues.

Old 02-02-2015, 04:42 PM
I think the only solution would be some kind of bluetooth "modulator" that allows a 3.5mm input or and FM modulator.

Old 02-02-2015, 07:02 PM
5 Year Member
i received a 3.5mm input bluetooth adapter from a member on here. i was able to get the bluetooth adapter to pair with the radio in my ex, but sound would not work at all. perhaps it was that particular unit, but i tried multiple 3.5mm sources, but same thing, no sound. after that i gave up, and wired my siruis through the fm modulator.

Old 02-02-2015, 07:30 PM
I read somewhere on an audio forum that there are two types of bluetooth encoders, I wonder if one of them isn't compatible with the Fit.

Old 02-03-2015, 07:33 AM
Thanks for the info, folks! And thank you to whomever moved this thread! I didn't even know this topic existed here! Lots of other good info to be found. Thank you.

GeorgeL, thanks too, but I'm actually really happy with the EX. I love having a sunroof and the lanewatch camera is getting more use than I thought it would. I don't even mind the touchscreen that I see some complaints about -- I use the steering wheel controls when driving anyway.

I was afraid of that with some of the adapters and converters. I read another post where somebody attached to a Bluetooth adapter. It sounded promising. I'll need to look into that more.

I have an FM dongle that I used with our iPod in our old car. I'm sure that would work in a pinch, but interference can be a problem in some places.

Honestly, most of what we want to do works just by having the USB and Bluetooth, so I can't complain too much.

Old 02-04-2015, 11:27 AM
m_x
I HATE not having a damn 3.5mm jack. I will be surprised if I ever once use the crippled HDMI port, and I have no reckoning why they omitted the most basic input option in favor of that. Would putting one in addition to the other BS have been such a cost? stupid stupid stupid honda.

I use the bluetooth most of the time. The trouble came (as I knew it would) on a road trip where somebody else in the car was playing DJ. They had an audiobook that we were going to listen to and rather than "here, plug this pin in," it devolved into "Hmmm, maybe if you plug into the USB? No, i guess it is giving priority to my phone over bluetooth. Let me turn that off... oh, now it just won't play? Weird... maybe we can pair your phone to the head unit? Oh you have to be parked for that... Let's just drive in silence."

In terms of simplicity and backward compatibility, it is just dumb to not have put one in. F'ing stupid. The only thing so far that I can say I HATE about this car.

Old 02-04-2015, 03:02 PM
5 Year Member
Ironically, the old cassette tape car decks had those
cassette adapters cassette adapters
available. I don't think they ever made one for CD's though!

Briefly searching on amazon, it looks like there are quite a few 3.5mm bluetooth adapters on amazon even if Rodney's particular one didn't work.

Amazon.com: 3.5mm bluetooth transmitter

Old 02-05-2015, 10:45 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by tbFit
Ironically, the old cassette tape car decks had those cassette adapters available. I don't think they ever made one for CD's though! ...
They did for 8-tracks, too!

Old 02-08-2015, 06:13 PM
Conflicting Apple Devices

Originally Posted by m_x
I HATE not having a damn 3.5mm jack. I will be surprised if I ever once use the crippled HDMI port, and I have no reckoning why they omitted the most basic input option in favor of that. Would putting one in addition to the other BS have been such a cost? stupid stupid stupid honda.

I use the bluetooth most of the time. The trouble came (as I knew it would) on a road trip where somebody else in the car was playing DJ. They had an audiobook that we were going to listen to and rather than "here, plug this pin in," it devolved into "Hmmm, maybe if you plug into the USB? No, i guess it is giving priority to my phone over bluetooth. Let me turn that off... oh, now it just won't play? Weird... maybe we can pair your phone to the head unit? Oh you have to be parked for that... Let's just drive in silence."

In terms of simplicity and backward compatibility, it is just dumb to not have put one in. F'ing stupid. The only thing so far that I can say I HATE about this car.

I saw your post about a problem with conflicting Apple devices.

I think I can shed some light on what you may have experienced.

I was having a problem with regards to HondaLink connectivity. So I took my car to a second Honda dealer for a second opinion. They found that there was a problem with the internal wiring harness for the display console on my Fit.They replaced the the internal wiring harness. However, I discovered that there were still some issues with my iPhone connecting to HondaLink.

After bringing the service technician back to the car, we found that a conflict occurs when you have multiple Apple devices connected to the system at the same time. In my case, the conflicting device was an iPod that I keep connected to the USB port in the console. Specifically, we found that if the iPod was connected to the system BEFORE the iPhone is connected, HondaLink was not able to connect to the iPhone. But if the iPhone was connected before the iPod, HondaLink was able to connect to the iPhone. However, you would then have difficulty connecting to the iPod.

I spoke to the HondaLink support folks and they confirmed that the Honda system has difficulty connecting to multiple iOS devices. So, that even if you choose iPod as the source device, you end up connecting to the iPhone, rather than the iPod device. This seems to be the problem that you encountered, I believe.

There also seems to be some issues when connecting to Pandora when using the iPhone as the source and the iPod both physically connected to the system. Lately, I've had more success connecting to Pandora using an Android (Galaxy S4) device as a source, rather than my iPhone, because this seems to eliminate the conflict. I prefer to use the Galaxy as the Audio source and the iPhone as my phone source, since I have access to both devices. This seems to work well, and avoids the conflict with the iPod.

I'd be interested to see if others have had similar experiences.

Cheers,

Old 02-08-2015, 06:16 PM
PS. I also have an FM dongle that I can use to connect the iPod instead of using the USB port. This does open up some possibilities, but you don't get the rich album info you get when using the USB port directly to the iPod.

Old 02-08-2015, 09:16 PM
I have an FM transmitter/charger for my Zune and it will broadcast the song info to the radio. I don't care for the lack of sound quality and radio static from the transmitter so I transferred everything to a flashdrive.

Old 02-28-2015, 12:58 AM
i am incredibly dissapointed in the lack of a 3.5mm aux jack. however, i am looking to use the hdmi port to solve this. i am particular to this inputt type because i primarily use an ipod video for music because the clickwheel is easy to navigate through my large music library. anywho, i purchased a vga to hdmi converter that is powered by usb on amazon. the converter take a vga and 3.5mm input (analog), and converts it to an hdmi output (digital). im gonna hide the unit in the glove box with its power source. ill run the aux cable into the glove box wherever is ergonomic for using the ipod. im then gonna use an adapter to turn the hdmi into a mini hdmi to make it easier to hide the cable. hopefully i can run it underneath all the plastic. ill have it plug into another adapter once it goes into the receptacle. but first thing is first. it has to work... and if it doesnt, im just gonna have to buy a bluetooth dongle for my ipod. and im guessing that will render my phone connection useless.

Old 02-28-2015, 01:00 AM
Old 03-31-2015, 10:29 PM
Sorry for reviving, but FitIam you just explained why I had so much trouble getting my iPhone to pair with my brand new Fit EX. I was likewise disappointed to find no standard 3.5mm AUX input to use for my standalone XM radio, so I've been using an older iPod in the armrest storage console.

It took several tries to pair my phone, but when it finally linked up, it knocked out my iPod connection. I had to move it to the front USB to get it working again. I'll try moving it back to the armrest tomorrow morning.

I have a third-party FM modulator that works very well in my truck, but it needs 12v as well. So I will look at packaging options for a 12v splitter and a place to put the XM receiver.

Old 05-04-2019, 01:38 PM
I have tried this, using a bluetooth transmitter and it won't work. The tablet in the dash is looking for a cell phone and it can't see the bluetooth transmitter. I have found a way to get my aux. input back. I am buying a Metra44-FMMODO3 FM Modulator wired version off of amazon 49.99. This will connect to the Fm radio antenna and you use a signal selection of 87.9 or 88.3 on your FM dial on your tablet. It will automatically switch to the rca inputs this has (using a 3.5mm to dual rca's to plug into adapter) and disable the radio antenna to eliminate any interference. I am having best buy install it and the 3.5mm female aux in into the lower dash. Total cost - 150.00, but a perfectly functioning Aux. input for anything I wish to plug into it. I am driving a 2018 EX FIT.