Removing the stereo and video screen from the 2015 FIT

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 04:48 AM
Removing the stereo and video screen from the 2015 FIT

I live in a big city. I don't have my own parking space. I have to park on the street a few blocks away from my place. That's the only street parking that is left when I get home from work in the evening.

Years ago, my car had a AM/FM/CD radio stolen. That was the only thing they took. The thief smashed my car window and tore up the console to get it out. Ever since then I never replaced the stereo. One less thing to tempt a thief. And I've had no break ins ever since. However, time for a new car....

I'm planning to buy a 2015 Honda FIT. I notice it has a conspicuous audio/visual system that comes standard with the car. I'd like to remove it. I don't mind not having music or a video screen during daily city driving. I don't need a backup camera. However I'd like to be able to re-install the radio/screen for day trips to listen to music on a long drive.

Is it easy to remove the radio and video screen and then reinstall it later myself?

Are there important messages which appear on the video display about the car's mechanical status that I'd miss seeing without a video screen?

Last edited by CoolCar; 04-05-2015 at 04:55 AM.
Old 04-05-2015, 01:12 PM
5 Year Member
Hi there. You have three options.
First. Install an alarm that sense when someone breaks you glass or even touch you car this with a black tint will make you car hard to steal.
Second, I have my Honda fit fun (mexican version) without the screen it comes with the same cd and Bluetooth capabilities. We could exchange it. I couldn't find a picture of it but I can upload it to Internet and show it to you.
Third, just leave it there and hopes no one breaking your car and mess with you car.

Old 04-05-2015, 02:20 PM
I park a couple blocks from where I live. I won't be able to hear the car alarm. Even if I did see someone ripping it out, I am not going to confront them. They could have a gun. Not worth my safety.

I'm going to remove the radio and screen. I found a thread with step-by-step picture instructions on how to remove the 2015 FIT radio: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...-2015-fit.html

Does the 2015 FIT video screen display any messages about the car (low oil, mpg, check engine, low tire pressure)??

Last edited by CoolCar; 04-05-2015 at 02:57 PM. Reason: added a thread link I found
Old 04-05-2015, 04:33 PM
I honestly wouldn't worry about it. The Fit's radio/screen is a unique shape and size and will only work on another Fit.

The only concern would be the thief wanting to upgrade from an LX radio/screen to an EX radio/screen. But each unit is uniquely coded its original car and wouldn't work if they just plugged it in. They would have to have the dealer reset it.

All in all that is a very unlikely scenario.

Old 04-05-2015, 10:50 PM
Originally Posted by CoolCar
Does the 2015 FIT video screen display any messages about the car (low oil, mpg, check engine, low tire pressure)??
There is more specific MPG information available on the screen (information for the current and previous two trip segments), but you have current mpg, and mpg for a resettable trip, oil life, gas range, etc. in a series of screens that you can flip through in one section of the instrument panel. Low tire pressure and check engine are lights on the instrument panel.

Old 04-06-2015, 01:09 AM
On the mean time you can take a look at this guide and possibly put inn an aftermarket stereo from ebay

it's for a RHD City but it's the same method for the Fit's