ApplePlay?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 01:25 PM
Apple CarPlay

Just wondering if anyone has heard anything about the possibility of Honda changing the current in-car technology system to Apple CarPlay.

Thanks.

Last edited by kram80122; 04-19-2015 at 03:42 PM.
Old 04-20-2015, 01:37 PM
5 Year Member
Still waiting with bated breath. CarPlay compatibility was fairly high on my list of 'features' when shopping, and it's very disappointing it's taking Honda this long to implement.

es

Old 04-20-2015, 01:43 PM
Last week Honda's Twitter account said they are "actively working" on it, but give no details about when

Old 05-06-2015, 10:43 PM
5 Year Member
Old 05-06-2015, 11:10 PM
At this point I don't think it's going to be made available to existing 2015 owners

Old 05-14-2015, 09:23 AM
Originally Posted by stembridge
I read through that article and it is full of BS from the auto industry.

They claim that the system has to be perfect for them to implement "what if you get a black screen of death".

My HondaLink (and I'm sure this applies to other manufacturers systems) already exists and tries to do much of what carplay does.

Only it doesn't freakin work. They talk about a black screen of death in carplay. Well with HondaLink I have had the whole headunit virtually freeze on me while driving.

So don't give me the BS that they are trying to "perfect the system".

The Pioneer head units seem to be using carplay just fine. While at the same time my HondaLink is a half broken mess.

This is about the auto manufactures getting scared that when carplay and android auto catch on they won't be able to get thousands extra on a vehicle for their own half baked navigation and infotainment ecosystems.

Old 05-14-2015, 12:19 PM
Originally Posted by bensonr2
I read through that article and it is full of BS from the auto industry.

They claim that the system has to be perfect for them to implement "what if you get a black screen of death".

My HondaLink (and I'm sure this applies to other manufacturers systems) already exists and tries to do much of what carplay does.

Only it doesn't freakin work. They talk about a black screen of death in carplay. Well with HondaLink I have had the whole headunit virtually freeze on me while driving.

So don't give me the BS that they are trying to "perfect the system".

The Pioneer head units seem to be using carplay just fine. While at the same time my HondaLink is a half broken mess.

This is about the auto manufactures getting scared that when carplay and android auto catch on they won't be able to get thousands extra on a vehicle for their own half baked navigation and infotainment ecosystems.
I think the delay has more to do with who is going to have liability to troubleshoot and fix software issues when there is a problem since Apple designed it and I'm sure Honda wants some support backup from Apple. It's inevitable that some people will have issues.

Old 05-15-2015, 09:10 AM
Originally Posted by Redd
I think the delay has more to do with who is going to have liability to troubleshoot and fix software issues when there is a problem since Apple designed it and I'm sure Honda wants some support backup from Apple. It's inevitable that some people will have issues.
If they are so "concerned" about liability how come Honda and other manufactures don't seem so concerned about the liability that may exist with their own half working systems.

Without racking my brain too hard I can come up with two examples from HondaLink.

Twice while trying to use the headunit with HondaLink connected I had the head unit practically freeze where there was about a 30 second delay before an action was registered on the head unit. This included the volume and using non entertainment related functions like trip info.

When using the HondaLink navigation through a connected iPhone if something interrupts the connection on the phone you have to hit "connect" again on your phones screen to re initiate the connection.

Now these issues are ones a driver should wait to resolve until they can pull over.

But the momentary distraction they cause may cause a driver to lose attention even momentarily and easily could have an accident.

If they are so focused on liability and being able to assign liability I don't see then why auto manufacturers are putting out systems with so many faults.

Old 05-17-2015, 06:17 PM
don't worry, you aren't missing out on much without carplay. it's pretty awful as it stands. was cool for about 2 weeks before i got tired of the glitches and disabled it, followed by selling my iphone. it's pretty, that's about it; functionality is horrid, hopefully apple can get things together quickly.

Old 05-17-2015, 11:23 PM
Originally Posted by bensonr2
If they are so focused on liability and being able to assign liability I don't see then why auto manufacturers are putting out systems with so many faults.
Have you considered that it could be because they aren't good at it and they have to release something eventually??

Last edited by Redd; 05-17-2015 at 11:25 PM.