HondaLink for Dummies

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 08:58 PM
5 Year Member
HondaLink for Dummies

I just bought a 2015 Honda Fit EX. I have an iPhone 4. I know I can use the iPhone 4 for calls, music, etc. via Bluetooth.

But for me to use Google maps or Waze I must use a iPhone 5 (minimum) with the special dongle - is this correct?

Or for me to use HondaLink maps I must buy (~$60) and download the app to a iPhone 5 - is this correct?

What do I need to use a Garmin device? Is a Garmin a worthwhile navigation tool?

Thanks for schoolin' this dummy.

Last edited by Peterjens; 06-30-2015 at 03:38 AM.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:58 AM
5 Year Member
I am not really sure why everyone needs all the GPS picture on the touch screen. I use a phone free app called Scout,bluetooth it to radio unit,set the phone in cup holder,adjust volume and it has never failed to get me there. I don't need to look at the screen and take my eyes off the road. Especially if in a strange area. The phone voice tells me when to turn and my eyes are looking for the correct lane to make turns. Personally I have almost had wrecks checking out my screen. I know a couple of people with other cars with screens that have wrecked watching their screens. Personally I think the View screen is a danger. I also ignore the back up camera. I used it at first but found it sees little from the sides and where most cars approach when backing out of parking spots. What it does see to the sides gives little time to react. My head still turns and my eyes still work and they haven't failed me either.

PaFitter

Old 06-30-2015, 03:33 PM
Originally Posted by PaFitter
I am not really sure why everyone needs all the GPS picture on the touch screen
PaFitter
I agree its not a necessity, and one can get by only using the audio coming through the car speakers. However... the benefit of the real time map on the screen is gives confirmation you are still on route, gives warning in advance of your next direction and other things.

I personally think the most important advantage is being able to see your next guidance in advance. On complicated highway systems with multiple lanes, shifting lanes and other complications being able to see your next move helps you to not being worrying about missing your next turn.

And although I would agree checking your phone screen is dangerous. Having that info in a 5 inch screen prominently on your dash is a good compromise allowing you to use minimal effort to glance and get needed info.

I also ignore the back up camera. I used it at first but found it sees little from the sides and where most cars approach when backing out of parking spots. What it does see to the sides gives little time to react. My head still turns and my eyes still work and they haven't failed me either.

PaFitter

I strongly disagree with this point. I would agree not to totally depend on the camera; it does have limitations. However the camera (on the EX at least) has multiple views including fish eye lens and closeup of the bumper.

Also and most importantly the camera is much lower and centered then the view you get from the mirror. That is why the govt is mandating them now. The biggest fear; running over something close behind you such as a small child is easier to spot.

Old 06-30-2015, 03:48 PM
5 Year Member
I am not really sure why everyone needs all the GPS picture on the touch screen. I use a phone free app called Scout, bluetooth it to radio unit, set the phone in cup holder, adjust volume and it has never failed to get me there. PaFitter
My wife hates it when I get distracted (Squirrel!!) while driving so not looking at a screen is very desirable. So instead of Scout, I set up WAZE using Bluetooth and it works! Thanks for the lesson.

Last edited by Peterjens; 06-30-2015 at 07:44 PM.
Old 07-02-2015, 11:13 AM
My wife is due for a phone upgrade and is thinking of getting an I phone to link to the Fits infotainment screen. As a long time android user I call it drinking the Kool-Aid. (sorry to any apple people)

However I had thought to maybe link my old I-pod touch (2nd gen) to the car and then create a Wi-Fi network to run off of while traveling. Your post above about Honda Link only syncing with I-phone 5 or newer, has got me thinking this is not an option.

Has anyone tried to use a deactivated I-phone or other apple device to use the Honda Link program?

Also if anyone has an I-phone and uses it with the Fit, can you give me any pros / cons while you have been using it. (I really do not want to have to purchase I-phone chargers for both car/truck & extras for at home / her work.)

Thank you!

Thanks for any advice,

Old 07-30-2015, 10:17 AM
Originally Posted by EcoBoost
My wife is due for a phone upgrade and is thinking of getting an I phone to link to the Fits infotainment screen. As a long time android user I call it drinking the Kool-Aid. (sorry to any apple people)

However I had thought to maybe link my old I-pod touch (2nd gen) to the car and then create a Wi-Fi network to run off of while traveling. Your post above about Honda Link only syncing with I-phone 5 or newer, has got me thinking this is not an option.

Has anyone tried to use a deactivated I-phone or other apple device to use the Honda Link program?

Also if anyone has an I-phone and uses it with the Fit, can you give me any pros / cons while you have been using it. (I really do not want to have to purchase I-phone chargers for both car/truck & extras for at home / her work.)

Thank you!

Thanks for any advice,
Yes you need an iPhone 5 or newer to use Honda-Link. I wouldn't worry about that though. Using your iPod via cable or bluetooth works just fine.

Old 07-30-2015, 01:58 PM
5 Year Member
OP here. By chance my neighbor gave me her iPhone 5. I went to Apple to shop for the cables needed to hook it up to the infotainment center. But I stopped short of buying all but the lightning cable for recharging. I wasn't ready to commit $49 for a proprietary cable.

Just using Waze or Google Maps via bluetooth overheated my iPhone 5 to the point it turned itself off. That's not good if I am in a location where I really need navigation.

I have decided to go the Garmin route instead.

Old 07-30-2015, 02:49 PM
Originally Posted by Peterjens
OP here. By chance my neighbor gave me her iPhone 5. I went to Apple to shop for the cables needed to hook it up to the infotainment center. But I stopped short of buying all but the lightning cable for recharging. I wasn't ready to commit $49 for a proprietary cable.

Just using Waze or Google Maps via bluetooth overheated my iPhone 5 to the point it turned itself off. That's not good if I am in a location where I really need navigation.

I have decided to go the Garmin route instead.
Sounds like you know why she gave you her iPhone 5. Wipe it clean and reinstall the OS. I used my iPhone 4S for months with Google Maps over bluetooth (also through the USB port), never had an issue.

Old 07-30-2015, 07:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SLVR6
Sounds like you know why she gave you her iPhone 5. Wipe it clean and reinstall the OS. I used my iPhone 4S for months with Google Maps over bluetooth (also through the USB port), never had an issue.
Ha, ha - it would seem like that might be the reason but the truth is her company upgrades the phones of employees and she got a 6 and gets to keep the old phone for whatever reason. I gave her son my first 'ukulele and I think she was just trying to reciprocate. However, I will do as you suggested. Thanks.