Prototype HDMI Enable Hardware Works!

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 09:26 AM
Originally Posted by Ductapemaster
I'll be putting together a poll to gather interest in the next few weeks, assuming my hardware checkouts go well!

I will need to do some checkouts on other trim levels as well before I start putting together kits. Once I have some pieces of working hardware I will begin to address that.
Sounds good dude! Yeah I see the issue with the spacing, hopefully it wont interfere with the surrounding components. Ground plane looks more than adequate. My only concern is EMI coupling from the surrounding components. Depending on how much noise is in the circuit there may be a need for some inductors and caps to lessen the noise without causing false or improper signals for CANBUS. Also I think your relay is brilliant. Maybe you should create a time delay once it is energized so the B-CAN / F-CAN will acquire the signal to the HU, then your device interrupts it to change the information for the HDMI mirroring.

As you know I'm all on board for being a beta tester. Keep me posted!

Bass

Old 11-05-2015, 12:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Bassguitarist1985
My only concern is EMI coupling from the surrounding components. Depending on how much noise is in the circuit there may be a need for some inductors and caps to lessen the noise without causing false or improper signals for CANBUS.
Yeah I probably should have stuck on a couple more dcaps, but I purchased extra so if I have a problem I can always add them in. This version is powered from a USB port (built into the microcontroller unit I am using), so it will be getting a much nicer supply than if I had powered it off of the 12V rail.

I have copper pours on both layers, top is power and the bottom is ground, so essentially the whole board is a capacitor. Hopefully that helps as well.

After some investigation, I'm not really sure how the spacing got changed. I ran the design rules check file on the board last night and none of the vias or any of the other odd changes came up as flagged. However, I did not manually generate gerber files and instead relied on my board house's import feature for my design file, so that's likely where the issue occurred. I'll do it manually next time (and maybe not order them after drinking a bunch of beer?)

Also I think your relay is brilliant. Maybe you should create a time delay once it is energized so the B-CAN / F-CAN will acquire the signal to the HU, then your device interrupts it to change the information for the HDMI mirroring.
Thanks! Unfortunately, the signals I have to change come down the line every 100ms or so, so using the relay to connect/disconnect on the fly isn't really possible (did I understand that properly?).

I do plan to keep the "monitoring" CAN interface connected to the car at all times (whether the unit is in pass-through mode or not), so you can always see what is going on on the bus. I can add some CPU control to the relays such that they only engage my device if the onboard IC's initialize properly and a valid signal is detected on the CAN bus.

I want to make it such that the user can just unplug the device or switch it off and have the car return to stock functionality. Ideal for when you take your car in for service

Old 11-05-2015, 12:38 PM
I've been watching this with interest for a while. Great work! Is the assumption that this will work across different 2015 models or just on the Fit? I have a 2015 CR-V, but in shopping it did appear that the Fit, CR-V, and Civic all contained the same head unit.

Old 11-05-2015, 12:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by montesn
I've been watching this with interest for a while. Great work! Is the assumption that this will work across different 2015 models or just on the Fit? I have a 2015 CR-V, but in shopping it did appear that the Fit, CR-V, and Civic all contained the same head unit.
Thank you!

I am almost certain that it will work with any 2015 model Honda with the "upgraded" EX head unit. There may be some small software tweaks needed, but my engineering reuse senses are tingling and it's likely going to be plug-and-play.

Only possible issue I forsee is Navi and manual models, but even in those cases I am relatively confident.

Old 11-05-2015, 12:53 PM
5 Year Member
Apologies for double posting, but I just wanted to say that I will be updating the top post of this thread with new information as time goes on. It's easier to access than digging through each one!

Old 11-05-2015, 12:54 PM
Thank you!

I am almost certain that it will work with any 2015 model Honda with the "upgraded" EX head unit. There may be some small software tweaks needed, but my engineering reuse senses are tingling and it's likely going to be plug-and-play.

Only possible issue I forsee is Navi and manual models, but even in those cases I am relatively confident.
I figured navigation might be an issue, but I'm running the standard EX without navigation. Ever since I bought it, I've been researching ways to see Google Maps on screen and this is definitely the most promising thing I've ever seen. If you need any information on cross-model testing, I'll be happy to provide it.

Side note, I'm still frustrated about how Honda handled all this. They promised Android support for Hondalink and had their salespeople pushing it as "being right around the corner", and they never delivered. Thankful for industrious folks like yourself.

Old 11-05-2015, 01:37 PM

Welp I'll be testing the 6MT EX platform, so we'll see! :-)

Old 11-15-2015, 08:19 AM
Been following this and think it's awesome how you figured it out. I just saw this on the HRV forum and figured I'd share just in case anyone in here can figure out how to keep the setting off. Has anyone tried it? Apparently if you have a mirrorlink phone (htc one m9) that may work as well.

This piece works for some but after a few times you have to turn that DD VSP error off again.
Connect anything to the HDMI and start it playing or mirroring
Press and hold the Eject button the power button and the home button to bring up the diagnostic screen
Press on the Detail Information and settings selection on the screen, its the bottom one
Press and hold the Menu button
Press the Vehicle Model Information on the screen
Press the DD VSP Error area on the screen, in the lower right
On the next screen press where it says "on" and then press where it says "off" to disable that error
Press the Back button ONCE an turn SNAPSHOT.
then go to main menu

Last edited by slimstrike; 11-15-2015 at 08:24 AM.
Old 11-15-2015, 06:02 PM
Originally Posted by slimstrike
Been following this and think it's awesome how you figured it out. I just saw this on the HRV forum and figured I'd share just in case anyone in here can figure out how to keep the setting off. Has anyone tried it? Apparently if you have a mirrorlink phone (htc one m9) that may work as well.

How to: Use HDMI while driving CIVIC SI chrome cast or mirroring (NO EBRAKE) - YouTube

This piece works for some but after a few times you have to turn that DD VSP error off again.
Press and hold the Eject button the power button and the home button to bring up the diagnostic screen
Press on the Detail Information and settings selection on the screen, its the bottom one
On the next screen press where it says "on" and then press where it says "off" to disable that error
then go to main menu
DUDE THIS MENU IS ON THE 2015 FIT EX 6MT!!!

IT UNLOCKS EVERYTHING EVEN WHILE DRIVING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Granted you have to shut off the error menu everytime you start the car, but i dont care, the fact it works im super happy!! Dude I owe you a beer or 12!

Old 11-15-2015, 06:12 PM
I can't take any credit since someone else figured it out but glad I shared it. Since it seems there's some good technical knowledge in the thread I was hoping someone could figure out how to make that setting stay off permanently.

Last edited by slimstrike; 11-15-2015 at 06:34 PM.
Old 11-15-2015, 09:04 PM
I can't take any credit since someone else figured it out but glad I shared it. Since it seems there's some good technical knowledge in the thread I was hoping someone could figure out how to make that setting stay off permanently.
True, and the tech exists now thanks to ducttapemaster. Hes figured out the CANBUS signals, intercept them, and change them to fool the HU the car is in park and stationary. Disabling the error menu causes the HU to ignore all canbus status msgs. The HU doesnt care if you are in park or moving to disable the various features based on saftey.

Plus the fact that i can get the functionality I always wanted by going through this menu instead of taking my dash apart again, and installing ducktape's canbus intercept device is more appealing at the moment. Though i will eventually help him test it out for a permanent fix. :-)

Old 11-16-2015, 10:15 PM
5 Year Member
Has anyone with an iphone tested this yet? Would i be able to use a GPS app from my phone? But, im guessing it would be GPS only and i can't have the radio in the background, right?

Old 11-16-2015, 10:18 PM
Originally Posted by TofuShop
Has anyone with an iphone tested this yet? Would i be able to use a GPS app from my phone? But, im guessing it would be GPS only and i can't have the radio in the background, right?
Yes gps only in background, though you could have pandora or another streaming service playing with google maps. No radio though. Then again when is radio even worth listening to these days.

Old 11-22-2015, 01:35 PM
5 Year Member
Yes gps only in background, though you could have pandora or another streaming service playing with google maps. No radio though. Then again when is radio even worth listening to these days.
I just tried this in my Canadian 2015 fit ex and it worked like a charm. YouTube, Netflix, and the google maps app all mirrored perfectly with music playing in the background!

Edit: iPhone 6s, iOS 9.0.2

Last edited by TallguyNB; 11-22-2015 at 01:37 PM.
Old 11-22-2015, 02:26 PM
5 Year Member
Works great in my Canadian 2015 fit LX mt. Only problem is that the phone gets darned hot running Google maps navigation, just like all my previous Android phones did.
Sony Z3 - current phone - overheats and disconnects from h.u.
LG Optimistic G E973 - overheated and shut down if display forced to stay on (via developer options).
HTC Hero - overheated and swelled the battery.
Problem with mirrorlink is you cant turn off the phone display without losing the h.u. display.
I don't know if Android Auto shuts off the phone display to manage heat, or feeds a series of static images (cue-cards), but I've never been able to run nav with the display active for any useful length of time. Maybe there's a business opportunity for phone cradles with built-in cooling fans!?

Old 11-22-2015, 03:26 PM
Works on CRV too

I just mirrored my MacBook's HDMI port to both the 2015 Fit EX-L and 2015 CRV EX. The video works while driving but the "DD VSP Error" does not stay off, in both cars I had to disable it again after turning the car off and on.

The MacBook showed the native resolution of the Honda 7" display was 720x576 in both cars.

Old 11-24-2015, 04:02 PM
Posted on my own thread, passing along the info here.

I am giving up on the Chromecast Dongle 2.0. too much bullshit to get around to mirror the screen via WI-FI with my Note 4. I'm sure there is another method I'm simply not aware of to make it work the way I want.

What I KNOW works is this cable below with my Verizon Samsung Note 4. Got it yesterday, tested, and it works great! no drop outs. Only detractor (like most if not all MHL cables) is that it will not charge the phone enough. It does charge, but is limited in the charge current of 500mA instead of the 1-2A from the OEM charger. Best advice when using it is to turn the screen brightness down all the way to minimize battery drain.

Amazon.com: Cable Matters® MHL 2.0 to HDMI Cable for Samsung Galaxy S3/S4 & Note 2 with Built-in USB Cable in Black 6 Feet: Electronics Amazon.com: Cable Matters® MHL 2.0 to HDMI Cable for Samsung Galaxy S3/S4 & Note 2 with Built-in USB Cable in Black 6 Feet: Electronics

Now in order to listen to the HDMI audio output when in HDMI mirror mode....AND still have your bluetooth phone capabilities you must do the following. This is specifically for Android 5.

***The catch is that disabling the media for Homelink will not allow apps like Pandora or AHA to work with the HU's built in app screens for them to be controlled. However, music will still be streamed via HDMI, and controlled from your phone. I know not the best scenario, but its a viable work around.

I've gotton the screen jumping to disable the DD VSP error menu to prevent locking out HDMI mirroring down to about 20 seconds. Sure its annoying to do it every time but its all I got for now. The OEM HU that was once bricked to shit, is now less bricked, but still bricked.

Old 11-26-2015, 12:50 PM
5 Year Member
Clarification, please

How to: Use HDMI while driving CIVIC SI chrome cast or mirroring (NO EBRAKE) - YouTube

then go to main menu
I got my GK EX Fit to display the iPhone 5s GPS maps using this procedure. Yay!! I forgot how to get the iPhone display on the screen. I found that I had to select HDMI under "audio." Maybe there's a better way to do it, but that's what I stumbled on. Reading the manual might have helped.
Anyway, I have a couple of questions. In the final line of the procedure, it says "press the back button once an turn SNAPSHOT." Should this instruction read "button once and turn SNAPSHOT on"? Is the default on or off for SNAPSHOT? I can't recall what it was set to before I toggled it. Second, what am I doing when I toggle these two settings? DD VSP and SNAPSHOT??
And, as a final comment, holy crap there are a lot of settings in these menus! I poked around and was amazed and a little terrified by all the info and controls. It would be wonderful if there was a guide to all these settings, not that Honda would ever release the info. I am nervous in these deep menus since I once put the sideview camera into its calibration mode, and it took me several hours of Googling and messing around with a target image I made to get my sideview camera to work again. Lesson learned: don't go punching buttons you don't understand. Honda software engineers are not intent on protecting you with nice warning messages (as is the case with Mac OS and Windows).

Old 11-26-2015, 01:11 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah i wish there was a hidden menu guide too. I'd love to know what all is inside there but I'm afraid to as well.

Originally Posted by Brian Jones
I got my GK EX Fit to display the iPhone 5s GPS maps using this procedure. Yay!! I forgot how to get the iPhone display on the screen. I found that I had to select HDMI under "audio." Maybe there's a better way to do it, but that's what I stumbled on. Reading the manual might have helped.
Anyway, I have a couple of questions. In the final line of the procedure, it says "press the back button once an turn SNAPSHOT." Should this instruction read "button once and turn SNAPSHOT on"? Is the default on or off for SNAPSHOT? I can't recall what it was set to before I toggled it. Second, what am I doing when I toggle these two settings? DD VSP and SNAPSHOT??
And, as a final comment, holy crap there are a lot of settings in these menus! I poked around and was amazed and a little terrified by all the info and controls. It would be wonderful if there was a guide to all these settings, not that Honda would ever release the info. I am nervous in these deep menus since I once put the sideview camera into its calibration mode, and it took me several hours of Googling and messing around with a target image I made to get my sideview camera to work again. Lesson learned: don't go punching buttons you don't understand. Honda software engineers are not intent on protecting you with nice warning messages (as is the case with Mac OS and Windows).

Old 11-27-2015, 04:26 PM
FYI

***The SNAPSHOT step does NOT work, so skip it. Still once you memorize the screens it takes me about 20 seconds to flip the error menu off and I'm off and running!

Last edited by Bassguitarist1985; 11-27-2015 at 04:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Prototype HDMI Enable Hardware Works!