Prototype HDMI Enable Hardware Works!

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 11:59 PM
Well i wanted to show how i made the Honda fit the best Head Unit I have ever used using a Amazon Fire Stick, Thanks to the new founded HDMI bypass.

Last edited by Darkshowdo; 12-11-2015 at 12:08 AM.
Old 12-11-2015, 01:55 AM
You sir, are awesome! Thank you. I'm buying a Fire Stick or equivalent asap.

Old 12-11-2015, 09:48 AM
Looks good! Thats what I wanted to do with the Chromecast 2.0, but I had to use my phones mobile tethering to mirror my screen which was not ideal. Least with Mirracast you can wifi direct connect to the dongle, and keep the phone charged with its stock charger so the battery doesnt run down like with an MHL adapter.

Guess I'm going to best buy at some point haha!!

Old 12-11-2015, 07:53 PM
Well i wanted to get rid of mine phone and just use the HU for controls which the firestick allows.
Also the Firestick has Miracast so you can still put your phone on the HU if needed for like Google maps or something.

Other then that this solution is amazing.
Feel free to ask any question if you need.

Old 12-24-2015, 10:55 AM
5 Year Member
Question about the firestick when used in our fit does it need to be supplied with power? or does the firestick works just by plugging it into the hdmi port.

Old 12-26-2015, 11:42 PM
You will need to plug it in via USB. Just use the port next to the HDMI port.

Old 12-31-2015, 02:45 PM
5 Year Member
I just want to let anyone that is deciding to pick up a chromecast or the amazon firestick. I would not recommend the chromecast 2 because there is many issues with the unit I had to return exchange only to have another issue video but no sound. On the other hand the firestick works perfectly and I was also able to hack it.

Old 01-01-2016, 01:20 AM
5 Year Member
Does not work on my EXL w/ nav. As soon as I start rolling, the HDMI shuts down.

I'm guessing because the HU is getting motion data either from GPS or can-bus to track motion for the navigation.

Old 01-01-2016, 02:22 PM
Originally Posted by andre181
Does not work on my EXL w/ nav. As soon as I start rolling, the HDMI shuts down.

I'm guessing because the HU is getting motion data either from GPS or can-bus to track motion for the navigation.
Yes unfortunately I think its the case for the Navi models. Navi model owners will need to wait until Ducktapemaster finishes his prototype board to try it out.

Old 01-03-2016, 11:57 AM
Originally Posted by payluder
...the firestick works perfectly and I was also able to hack it.
What fun things do you do with your firestick in your Fit?

Edit: I just watched your videos above. Cool stuff with the local FTP server for video. Is there anything the Firestick does that is helpful while driving?

Last edited by simonx314; 01-03-2016 at 12:02 PM.
Old 01-05-2016, 10:24 AM
Originally Posted by Darkshowdo
Well i wanted to show how i made the Honda fit the best Head Unit I have ever used using a Amazon Fire Stick, Thanks to the new founded HDMI bypass.
This is BRILLIANT. Cheers man

I'm not familiar with Kodi (or Firestick, but I have a Roku ), but is there a 3rd party GPS or way to mirror the phone screen via tether? My main goal is to just be able to use Google Maps

Old 01-10-2016, 06:32 PM
Originally Posted by prince_perry
This is BRILLIANT. Cheers man

I'm not familiar with Kodi (or Firestick, but I have a Roku ), but is there a 3rd party GPS or way to mirror the phone screen via tether? My main goal is to just be able to use Google Maps
Well your in luck cause Firestick also support phone mirroring.
As long as your phone can do Miracast then you good to go.

Old 01-13-2016, 10:29 AM
5 Year Member
Iam new here but I found this...

I did what the guy in the video instructed and boom.... HDMI mirroring while driving.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by Chelsie Goodwin; 04-06-2016 at 06:33 PM.
Old 01-13-2016, 11:42 AM
Originally Posted by Chelsie Goodwin
How to: Use HDMI while driving CIVIC SI chrome cast or mirroring (NO EBRAKE) - YouTube

I did what the guy in the video instructed and boom.... HDMI mirroring while driving.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally Posted by Darkshowdo
Well your in luck cause Firestick also support phone mirroring.
As long as your phone can do Miracast then you good to go.
YES YES AND MORE YES. Thank you guys
Returning the mount I bought and buying a Chromecast today!

Old 02-14-2016, 01:31 AM
Just for clarify, you can hold down the keys at you go: hold eject, then hold power, the hold home. (Think control-alt-delete). In the end you should be holding down all three keys... The diagnostic menu will pop up.
A lot of videos and tutorials online are a bit confusing since they make it sound like you need to press them at the exact same moment.

Old 02-14-2016, 10:48 PM
https://youtu.be/Mx0IFP6t_vU

This should help.

Old 06-26-2016, 11:36 AM
This still doesn't come close to a CarPlay solution.

Originally Posted by Bassguitarist1985
https://youtu.be/Mx0IFP6t_vU

This should help.
Honda are being complete dickwads by refusing to provide software updates to enable CarPlay (or Android Auto for that matter).

The Honda HU user interface is pizz poor at best. Stupid screen layouts such as placing "Answer" button immediately above the "Ignore" button for incoming calls is asinine. The slightest bump on the road and you end up ignoring your spouses call. Honda! listen up! You've got a 7" screen. Put the buttons side by side. (Yeah I know... Use the steering wheel button. The screen layout is STILL STUPID)
There are 10 buttons on the steering wheel dedicated to HU interaction. Each button can only perform 1 function. Really? Has Honda never heard about context sensitivity. Long press or short press?

Honda should take a look at how 5+ year old AppleTV remote controls work. Or 7 year old iPod controls work.

Rant Complete...

The video showing how to access hidden menus is great and I now can put my iPhone 6s on the display (really only semi useful for things like maps) but that the hack has to be applied after every restart of the car is a bit of a drag.

There must be some way to change the settings. There is probably some deeper hidden menu we still have to find.

One more thought…

If Honda just gave us the software/firmware update to enable CarPlay and Android Auto (I would pay a reasonably nominal fee for such), they would essentially put the responsibility for user interface and safety in the hands of Apple and Google.

Oh. And BTW Honda. Why do I have to acknowledge the "Driver is responsible bla bla bla" every damn time I start the engine. It is just another annoying reminder that Honda's lawyers are infinitely incapable of understanding what irks people.

Old 06-26-2016, 03:24 PM
I wish that we could tweak the interface/features a bit too.

Old 07-14-2016, 03:34 PM
I have a 2016 CRV Touring and the diagnostic hack works, but having it reset every time the car turns off is a pain.

What's the latest with the CANBUS mod?

Old 12-02-2016, 02:28 PM
What is the status of this thread, is progress still being made? I know he said that he was going to update the first post but it's been a while...

Thanks

Quick Reply: Prototype HDMI Enable Hardware Works!