3rd Generation GK Specific Fit Photos & Videos Sub-Forum Threads for displaying photos and videos of the 3nd generation GK Honda Fit

Helios Boring Build Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 12:07 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Helios
Eibach is making good on their mistake. There was an error at the warehouse, and they are overnight shipping the correct dust boots to me. +1 for customer service. I don't think people realize that if this was a no-name Taiwan brand there's not much to be had - hopefully they have a US rep, that's about it. That's why we need to support the brands that support us.

Second item... how do we all feel about wrapping the rear tail garnish in metallic red? I got the idea from the Spoon Fit... and I'm really liking it. I'm also considering the Mugen tailgate garnish, but that's obviously a bit pricier than just wrapping my existing one. Here's a pic from the Spoon build thread... thoughts?
Glad to hear about your experience with Eibach. My springs should be waiting for me when I get home today.

As for the red wrap, I didn't want to like it, but I really do...

Old 07-16-2018, 02:45 PM
5 Year Member
I vote to do the wrap in red, it'd be a nice change up from the other EX owners that change theirs to black

Old 07-18-2018, 07:16 PM
Chrome wrap is expensive! But I put a deposit for it to be done next Wednesday. Avery Chrome Red vinyl wrap.

http://graphics.averydennison.eu/con...-chrome-en.pdf

after looking at how difficult it is to wrap chrome, I was okay with the price. Especially after seeing that it is purchased by the yard and is expensive itself. They’re going to remove the garnish from the car to get it fully tucked. Hopefully matches up well with the lights. I took samples out to the car and I think it will be solid. Everyone does yellow and black, some maybe I’ll have something cool and unique (well, along with the spoon fit). I could add a red accent to the front as well.

Old 07-19-2018, 10:10 PM
Should look pretty nice when it’s done! Good call on removing the garnish, I can’t imagine doing it any other way. I had to remove mine when installing the Mugen tailgate, and thankfully, it’s easy to remove

Old 07-19-2018, 10:12 PM
5 Year Member
Chrome wrap is expensive! But I put a deposit for it to be done next Wednesday. Avery Chrome Red vinyl wrap.

http://graphics.averydennison.eu/con...-chrome-en.pdf

after looking at how difficult it is to wrap chrome, I was okay with the price. Especially after seeing that it is purchased by the yard and is expensive itself. They’re going to remove the garnish from the car to get it fully tucked. Hopefully matches up well with the lights. I took samples out to the car and I think it will be solid. Everyone does yellow and black, some maybe I’ll have something cool and unique (well, along with the spoon fit). I could add a red accent to the front as well.
Any interest in swapping garnish pieces? I've got an '18 EX and was either going to plasti-dip my rear garnish or wrap it.

Old 07-20-2018, 11:20 AM
Last night I installed the Eibach dust boots and bump stops on the rear. Over an inch difference in length, which means absolutely no bottoming out now. No noises on rough roads, everything is great. I surmise that most lowering springs for the GK5 would benefit from bumpstops being trimmed to allow more travel. That seems to be the main complaint when people don't like their springs (rear end bottoming out).

Installation was easy, didn't even remove the wheels. Just have to get the plastic panels unclipped in the rear so you can reach your hex key and ratchet in there. Luckily the rear struts weren't torqued to hell and back, and broke free easily.

During install of the springs up front, I noticed how cheap looking the sway bar end links are, and they had already rusted on the threads. They were ripe to be stripped next time I had to take things apart. Honda uses the setup with a hex key and nut (aka disaster for anyone disassembling in the salt belt). I ordered Moog problem solver sway bar end links to have on hand.

Drivers side: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...435186&jsn=340
Passenger side: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...435186&jsn=341

As you can tell, these are built MUCH better. They have grease fittings, as well as flats on the back for a wrench. I recommend installing these on any car you get.

Upon removal of the OEM end links, I found that they were floppy. I'm guessing they're just designed to provide no support, but if these were on an older car a simple wiggling by hand would make me immediately replace them as worn. They're constructed out of the cheapest material, I could actually slightly flex the rod between my hands.

Anyway, installed the Moog ones. Bolted right in, no issues. If you work on your own car, I highly recommend installing these. They will probably outlast the car since you can grease them yourself and they're not going to strip.

Old 07-25-2018, 10:49 AM
Just dropped off at the Tint Lab. Final decisions after some crappy MS paint previews:

Front Upper Grille Molding: Gloss Black
Front Lower Grille Molding: Red Chrome
Rear Tail Garnish: Red Chrome

Pics in 6 hours or so!

Old 07-25-2018, 10:56 AM
5 Year Member
Just dropped off at the Tint Lab. Final decisions after some crappy MS paint previews:

Front Upper Grille Molding: Gloss Black
Front Lower Grille Molding: Red Chrome
Rear Tail Garnish: Red Chrome

Pics in 6 hours or so!
Sweet... Looking forward to seeing your results. I am considering taking the chrome trim on the front grill and making it red. It is the only chrome on the car...

Old 07-25-2018, 04:04 PM

Sneak peek. Tint shop just sent it over to make sure I’m happy with the color before they move on to the front. I’m excited!!

Old 07-25-2018, 05:49 PM

I’m stoked! I love it!

Old 07-25-2018, 06:58 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
ronald mcdonald styling. interesting.

Old 07-25-2018, 07:08 PM
Originally Posted by kenchan
ronald mcdonald styling. interesting.
or Honda and HFP styling? Red accents are kind of the Honda thing now. Look at type r accessories and the sport models. HFP stuff for fit has red accents.

Old 07-25-2018, 07:25 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
well ur car is yellow.. id gone glossy black. and splitter!

Old 07-25-2018, 07:50 PM
5 Year Member
I love it dude.The red really pops.

Old 07-26-2018, 04:48 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bdcheung
I love it dude.The red really pops.
+1
Looks really awesome; bold but not forced; custom yet factory. Well done.

Old 07-26-2018, 04:43 PM
5 Year Member
looking good! now .... quick.... someone photoshop some red lugs onto his car

(i can see red lugs in your future)

Old 07-27-2018, 09:31 AM
Originally Posted by evilchargerfan
looking good! now .... quick.... someone photoshop some red lugs onto his car

(i can see red lugs in your future)
I've been brainstorming ways to get a touch of red elsewhere. I was thinking about a red pin stripe on the HFP side skirts, but I like this idea even better.

I think next things are HFP floor mats and red lugs.

Old 07-27-2018, 11:19 AM
5 Year Member
I've been brainstorming ways to get a touch of red elsewhere. I was thinking about a red pin stripe on the HFP side skirts, but I like this idea even better.

I think next things are HFP floor mats and red lugs.
I am about to put my new and proper CONE SEAT black lug nuts on my black OEM wheels. But a set of these sweet (but clearly not "real" JDM...) center caps should also be showing up any day as well...

Old 07-27-2018, 11:40 AM
Can you link the exact ones you bought? I see there are different sizes.

Also, I hope you just typed wrong. You want BALL seat, not cone! Cone/taper is for most aftermarket wheels.

Old 07-27-2018, 11:42 AM
5 Year Member
Can you link the exact ones you bought? I see there are different sizes.

Also, I hope you just typed wrong. You want BALL seat, not cone! Cone/taper is for most aftermarket wheels.
Will do, and yes I meant ball seat... Hilarious.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Helios Boring Build Thread