3rd Generation GK Specific Fit Photos & Videos Sub-Forum Threads for displaying photos and videos of the 3nd generation GK Honda Fit

Helios Boring Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 06:56 AM
I think our tastes are in line kenchan. Thanks for all the research evil.

I'm going to design and make my own. I'm an engineer at a manufacturing company, and one of the vendors I work with has the largest laser cutter in the Midwest. Cutting out aluminum costs almost nothing.

I plan to make it not quite as aggressive as the Aeroflow one you sent me. I want it to just follow the bumper line but extend out ~25-40mm. The hard part is going to be sketching up the shape, but I don't think it will be too rough. I'm going to have to make a template... so next step.. figure out how to take off the front bumper.

Evil, have you had your bumper off? Let me see how this goes, and maybe you can pull yours off and make a template out of cardboard and send it to me. Then I can get one cut for 2015-17. Then again, I could just send you my template to see if it lines up well on your bumper.

Old 06-26-2018, 07:12 AM
5 Year Member
I used this video on removing the bumper. It shows one side, but the other side is identical. Then there are some push pins underneath that also need to be removed. They're all apparent and nothing hidden. I did this while trying to fix my front bumper sag and installed the sport horns while I was in there. I would think the 2018+ would be very similar if not identical:

Old 06-26-2018, 06:36 PM
5 Year Member
heres how to remove that bumper:

if someone would be nice enough to add these steps to the super thread, that'd be sweet:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...nce-guide.html

Attached Files
Old 06-26-2018, 06:37 PM
5 Year Member
I havent my bumper off YET but when I do, I'll plan for a "trace my bumper" day and get a template going.

Old 06-26-2018, 07:13 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
just tape a piece of cardboard and trace it without removing the bumper.

also, there's plenty of room below to access the bumper to mount your splitter without removing it. just remove the shroud (the cover u remove to do the oil change).

Old 06-26-2018, 08:48 PM
Looking at how other splitters mount they typically have spacers and then you drill through holes into the bumper, then use a screw, washer, and nut to secure it. The spacer keeps the aluminum slightly stood off from the plastic of the bumper and prevents metal contact on the plastic. I'd like to find a way to get direct metal to metal mount where the service panel goes. The instructions for a custom one from APR say to just do a sketch of the outline of the bottom of the bumper without removing it as well. So I guess we just start there.

I'm traveling for work right now, so no chance to look under the car right now. I'm going to just do a reallllly rough sketch to send to my vendor and get an idea how much a splitter would be, just to understand if it is worth it. For me personally, I'd probably be fine just painting the aluminum and prepping it myself. I'll let you know what prices they give me just for the aluminum cut out.

Old 06-27-2018, 01:47 PM
5 Year Member
I eagerly await your updates

Old 06-29-2018, 12:59 AM
Love the yellow on the new Fits, so much better than the pre-facelift yellow. Also makes me think of the EK9 Type R. Side skirts look great too, super sleek. Definitely would flow nicely with one of those front splitters, but looks great so far .

Old 06-29-2018, 09:14 AM
Originally Posted by [LegenD]
Love the yellow on the new Fits, so much better than the pre-facelift yellow. Also makes me think of the EK9 Type R. Side skirts look great too, super sleek. Definitely would flow nicely with one of those front splitters, but looks great so far .
That's what I think about too, and sometimes I get the hankering to switch to some white wheels to complete the look.

Old 07-02-2018, 05:59 PM

Additional pics after clean and wax this weekend. Already have rock chips all over the front bumper and hood. Anyone have recommendations on repair kits?

Old 07-02-2018, 06:24 PM
5 Year Member
yah, u needed to wrap clearbra BEFORE the chips.. might want to try dr.colorchip.

Old 07-02-2018, 06:58 PM
5 Year Member
I for one just let it chip. thug life.

there are products out there that give you a hard coat. example:

https://www.chemicalguys.com/SS6_Sec...wac_224_02.htm

Old 07-02-2018, 07:50 PM
5 Year Member
yah, clearbra is MUCH stronger. ive tried those coating and stuff and it might work on swirls and light haze, it does nothing vs pebbles and rocks.

Old 07-05-2018, 09:37 AM
Side skirts look great!

Old 07-06-2018, 01:04 PM
So the Eibach's didn't happen, as my wife surprised me with the side skirts instead.

Evilchargerfan, my dedicated shopping agent, found a good deal on ebay for a set today, and I just pulled the trigger. Expect updates in a week or two once they are on.

Old 07-06-2018, 02:05 PM
5 Year Member
YW!

I look forward to an epic review of those eibach's

Old 07-06-2018, 02:56 PM
Bra, that seller ain't fooling around. They're scheduled to be delivered tomorrow. Update might happen sooner than we all thought.

Old 07-08-2018, 01:38 AM
1:14 am Sunday morning update: I am lowered on 3 of 4 corners. All was going smoothly, the beers were flowing, no major issues. I expected no issues, the car is only 7 months old.

Start working on the front passenger strut tower and disaster strikes. The factory obviously went full fucking Rambo on this nut.
  1. Snap off craftsman allen key.
  2. strip another allen key.
  3. Move up to a standard size. Stripped.
  4. Get a torx head socket tight in the hole, get about half a turn loose. Stripped.
  5. Pull up dust boot and put vice grips on the strut rod to try to hold it from rotating. Nope.
Utterly defeated by a 6 month old Honda. I’ve swapped old dual point injection to PGMFI. I’ve swapped a VTEC head onto a D16A. I’ve done a B16A swap. I’ve installed coilovers, rebuilt entire front knuckles, and replaced basically every bushing on 4th gen and 5th gen Civics.

So so now I need a new strut. Maybe I can convince the dealer to replace it. I think it’s total bullshit that it would be so over torqued. There’s no rust in that area, it’s totally covered. I’ll give that a shot Monday. If not I’ll order an OEM strut and cut the sonova bitch out.

For now, surprisingly, it drives good. I just look like a 3 legged dog bumbling down the street.

Posting this before bed as a stress reliever. I feel better already. I’ll update Monday.

Old 07-08-2018, 02:06 AM
Dude...sorry to hear about this, but the exact same thing happened to me (actually even worse)...and on both sides on the front. I was curious if anyone else had this problem specifically with their Fit. I’m not new to modding, and even had some friends check it out...craziest thing I’ve ever encountered. In the end I had to get two new struts.

Old 07-09-2018, 11:48 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Helios
So the Eibach's didn't happen, as my wife surprised me with the side skirts instead.

Evilchargerfan, my dedicated shopping agent, found a good deal on ebay for a set today, and I just pulled the trigger. Expect updates in a week or two once they are on.
Good deal on Eibach springs; sounds good, how about a link? Sorry to hear about your strut. I am very interested in getting a set of these springs and as I read your thread I was waiting for before and after pics, and some initial feedback on handling, ride quality, etc. Any estimate on when the last spring will be installed?

Waiting on you...

Quick Reply: Helios Boring Build Thread