3rd Generation GK Specific Suspension & Brakes Sub-Forum Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the 3rd generation Honda Fit (GK)

This is why you MUST install Tanabe DF210 TDF185 lowering springs!!!

Old 03-22-2016, 12:27 PM
I've seen online that it is recommended with stock suspension to replace shocks/struts every 50k miles. Didn't know that.

Old 03-22-2016, 06:28 PM
jhn
Originally Posted by dwtaylorpdx
You either get a front end alignment (2 wheels).
or a thrust alignment (4 wheels)

When making suspension changes like a drop a 4 wheel thrust alignment tis normally the right route.

A shock is a tube with a piston it, the bit that wears out normally is the valve stack which has little to do with exact life, length of stroke is not what wears a shock its the number of strokes per second @ a given maximum velocity, as well as the service life of the valve stack, you can buy $2000 a corner Penske's or Bilstein's and wear out the shock in a couple hours of track time. I replace the valve stacks on a open wheel road race car about twice a season or when the car loses stick. On a sprint car I've replaced shocks between 20 minute sessions. Work the shock harder and more heat is generated, the oil squeezing though the valving acts much like oil in a gearbox wearing out the lube.

YMMV and good luck on the project!
One thing you're not mentioning is shock shaft displacement. As the shock is compressed, the shock shaft displaces fluid. Depending on the type of shock design this can increase internal pressure and heat which also accelerates wear. The spring rate increases shock compression/rebound speed for sure and will wear out the shim stack

Old 03-22-2016, 10:29 PM
So, when deciding on lowering springs... Back to my original discussion... Choose springs engineered to be as close to the stock springs with spring rate, but a bit stiffer than stock to compensate for the decreased shock travel to prevent premature wearing out of the stock shock. The Tanabe's have that covered, increasing the spring rate 10-15% to compensate for decreased shock travel.

Old 03-22-2016, 11:59 PM
5 Year Member
Your right,, Keeping the spring rate close to stock will keep the spring rate and valving near design spec, you'll have a 10% stiffer(ish) ride, and a accompanying shift in compression and rebound speed as well. Heavier spring should have slower compression and faster rebound (Assuming no adjustment in shock), larger body shocks will run a little cooler for a while but under sustained use they will eventually hit a max temp, Besides using a shorter spring you can go with a similar length to stock but go softer and the car will have a higher sag to get lower as well, but you have to allow for the coil stacking vs travel. When I want a car lower I prefer to change the spring mount not the spring height. Yields more travel without the harsh buggy ride. Haven't rode in a Tanebe equipped car I use H&R or have them wound custom for track cars. Converting street to full track I find almost 2.5x the rate from stock is where I end up to get them to handle at speed. Sometime the sweet spot is quite scary. Low speed ride suffers greatly..

Old 03-23-2016, 06:48 AM
Good technical info. Thanks for the feedback. There is certainly a lot of factors when making modifications to a suspension. For practical everyday purposes, you either keep the car stock or very carefully choose the right spring, not only to lower the car within limits of alignment adjustment to retain spec for normal tire wear, but also to retain a slightly higher spring rate than stock to compensate for decreased travel (to not max out the shock travel constantly) to maintain the stock shock life as close to spec as possible. I don't know of any other coil spring manufacturers that engineer their product this way like Tanabe.

Old 03-24-2016, 02:38 PM
5 Year Member
FWIW I've done suspension on several road race cars where the class did not allow coil overs.. It typically takes about 4 sets of springs to find the best combination.. I haven't found a formula to get me right on yet.. And tire type can move you to a whole different setup. One car I work on needs 300b per inch springs on DOT tires, but needs 800 lb springs to handle slicks..

Old 03-24-2016, 07:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Honda4Life15
I don't know of any other coil spring manufacturers that engineer their product this way like Tanabe.
Eibach
Tein
Swift
Progress

Top names in spring manufacturing follow similiar guidelines

Drop looks good though. .

Old 03-24-2016, 07:48 PM
5 Year Member
Its also about the source o fhb spring steel and pretty much 100% of the springs for japan source their wire for the same factory, then quality of the wrap kicks in. H&R and Eiback are sister companies if you dig way back, good products.

I have a local shop that can turn out a spring in any length and diameter and coil size I want, and when I check the springs their work is right on.. Dont ignore the small local shops, they can be your friend.

Old 03-24-2016, 08:02 PM
Thanks for the great feedback! I'm really impressed with Tenabe. I will see as time goes on. The rear seems like it's too low? Idk, I guess it'd be good to check a stock Fit EX on level ground and measure the height difference and make sure it's a 2" drop in the rear and not more.

Old 03-25-2016, 07:11 PM
5 Year Member
Eibach/ground control make spacers that can be put under the spring, to adjust the height without a full coil over.. If you need < 1" they work well. You need to shop out of their race products catalog for them..

Old 03-28-2016, 11:43 AM
5 Year Member
RS-R SuperDrop Springs are on my ride. Love them. Not a huge drop, but noticeable and classy.

Old 03-28-2016, 12:43 PM
Yes, RS-R is a good choice, especially for the Euro side, but whatever...

Old 03-29-2016, 06:51 PM
5 Year Member
Yea some times its price and availability that steer the ship..

Old 03-30-2016, 01:41 PM
I went with the tein spring 1.5 front 1.4 rear, but it feels like the spring would benefits from a performance strut and shock. Do any of you guys that drop your car feel the same way?

Old 03-30-2016, 01:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BrucesFit
I went with the tein spring 1.5 front 1.4 rear, but it feels like the spring would benefits from a performance strut and shock. Do any of you guys that drop your car feel the same way?
Depends on your ride preferences. It'll eek out some of the bumpiness of the ride, but I'm not one to care about that too much. Sticking with stock for now.

Old 03-30-2016, 02:28 PM
Yeah I'm on stock shocks/struts. I'm not looking to upgrade unless they need replaced. There's minimal bounciness with the Tanabe DF210's, it basically rides like stock.

Old 03-30-2016, 02:29 PM
...but no body roll anymore, due to low center of gravity.

Old 03-30-2016, 10:01 PM
5 Year Member
Is your wheel gap the same front and back? Or is the front slightly more?

Old 03-30-2016, 10:11 PM
Front slightly more. The drop is 1.5F/2.0R, the wheel gap is a little different F/R, but the car is level.

Old 03-30-2016, 10:13 PM
5 Year Member
gotcha, thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: This is why you MUST install Tanabe DF210 TDF185 lowering springs!!!