3rd Generation GK Specific Suspension & Brakes Sub-Forum Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the 3rd generation Honda Fit (GK)

This is why you MUST install Tanabe DF210 TDF185 lowering springs!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 04:16 PM
This is why you MUST install Tanabe DF210 TDF185 lowering springs!!!

To save your GK5 dignity!!!

Old 03-17-2016, 06:28 PM
5 Year Member
I'm going to lift my GD, tired of the bumper hitting everything. Think I'll go rally style..

Old 03-17-2016, 07:08 PM
Originally Posted by dwtaylorpdx
I'm going to lift my GD, tired of the bumper hitting everything. Think I'll go rally style..
Ok, well, get the Sparco Terra 5 in white 16x7 with stubby winter rubber, and wide red mud flaps at all four wheels, would be perfect!!! And get the biggest HKS Hi-Power muffler that they make to keep it all proportionate.

Old 03-18-2016, 09:46 AM
5 Year Member
That drop seems like too much to me. I went with the RS-Rs. about 1" drop all around.

Old 03-18-2016, 10:35 AM
Originally Posted by DannyJ7
That drop seems like too much to me. I went with the RS-Rs. about 1" drop all around.
1.5" front, 2.0" rear.
I have some weight in the back too.

Old 03-18-2016, 09:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Honda4Life15
Ok, well, get the Sparco Terra 5 in white 16x7 with stubby winter rubber, and wide red mud flaps at all four wheels, would be perfect!!! And get the biggest HKS Hi-Power muffler that they make to keep it all proportionate.
I'm going to stick with the tall skinny 15" tires on the stock wheels, Cheap and they slide.. Well..

Old 03-20-2016, 03:56 PM
5 Year Member
too low. looks funny to me.

Old 03-20-2016, 04:20 PM
Originally Posted by bigbacon
too low. looks funny to me.
It's level ground clearance. I had weight in the back making it lower than normal and I was parked on a slight incline sideways, not that low on a level surface.

Old 03-20-2016, 04:34 PM
5 Year Member
Wheel gap suggests reverse rake, need profile pic without junk in rear to verify.

Old 03-20-2016, 04:41 PM
Originally Posted by dwtaylorpdx
Would 205/75R15 tires fit? That's the smallest size in the General Grabber AT2.

Old 03-20-2016, 05:33 PM
Originally Posted by mike410b
Wheel gap suggests reverse rake, need profile pic without junk in rear to verify.

Old 03-20-2016, 07:37 PM

Old 03-20-2016, 09:46 PM
5 Year Member
Rear does look just a bit too low for the front height, but I like that front height for a lowering spring. Wonder how long the shocks will last though.

Old 03-20-2016, 09:51 PM
Originally Posted by mike410b
Rear does look just a bit too low for the front height, but I like that front height for a lowering spring. Wonder how long the shocks will last though.
The shocks are supposed to run naturally with the Tanabe springs, because the springs are engineered to be 10-15% stiffer than stock to compensate for the decreased travel of the shock, that's why I picked the Tanabe's as well as the 1.5" drop in the front is the max before needing camber bolts to correct negative camber and toe in issues. The car should sit level even though visually it looks lower in the back, ground clearance is supposed to be the same, according to Tanabe.

Old 03-21-2016, 04:47 AM
Lookin good! Did you install them yourself or go to a shop? Curious on how much you were charged if you went to a shop. Thanks!

Old 03-21-2016, 05:58 AM
Originally Posted by rise
Lookin good! Did you install them yourself or go to a shop? Curious on how much you were charged if you went to a shop. Thanks!
Went to a shop. It was an interesting story. I called another shop for a quote. They quoted $322, but could be more depending on what needed done, which that number seemed high, the shop I was going to get my tires done too originally quoted $198... So naturally went with $198 and I had a $60 alignment coupon for them as well... But later on the shop called me up confused that there were four springs to install. They thought I was only getting the front springs installed, which is apparently $198, so I was ticked off that they were going to try and charge double to install the rear and be stupid enough to think I was just doing the front end, I'm not aware of any springs only coming for the front end and it would cause different spring rates, etc... So I fought over it, but they ended up at $377 for all four, $60 for alignment, and then they went and charged $62 for subframe adjustment. The owner was complaining he needs to keep the lights on and throwing a hissy fit, little baby, trying to justify his wrong doing and going on and on about his $60,000 alignment machine, saying the other shop that would have been less wouldn't have been able to do the alighlnment like they could... I was locked in, for the price of the spring installation I would have had it done elsewhere, but they already had started it half way through and the other other shop was two weeks out until I could get them installed there... So I got stuck and paid extra keeping it all in one place, it took them like three days until I got my car back, thankfully they had a loaner car that I wasn't charged for except filling gas. My experience wasn't so pleasant, but all seems well. They said the alignment is perfect, but they will surely be fixing it no charge if something goes wrong with my tire wear.

Old 03-21-2016, 06:33 AM
5 Year Member
My local Dodge dealer( I have a Caravan as well) charged me $98 CDN to do my springs.

Old 03-21-2016, 08:00 AM
Went to a shop. It was an interesting story. I called another shop for a quote. They quoted $322, but could be more depending on what needed done, which that number seemed high, the shop I was going to get my tires done too originally quoted $198... So naturally went with $198 and I had a $60 alignment coupon for them as well... But later on the shop called me up confused that there were four springs to install. They thought I was only getting the front springs installed, which is apparently $198, so I was ticked off that they were going to try and charge double to install the rear and be stupid enough to think I was just doing the front end, I'm not aware of any springs only coming for the front end and it would cause different spring rates, etc... So I fought over it, but they ended up at $377 for all four, $60 for alignment, and then they went and charged $62 for subframe adjustment. The owner was complaining he needs to keep the lights on and throwing a hissy fit, little baby, trying to justify his wrong doing and going on and on about his $60,000 alignment machine, saying the other shop that would have been less wouldn't have been able to do the alighlnment like they could... I was locked in, for the price of the spring installation I would have had it done elsewhere, but they already had started it half way through and the other other shop was two weeks out until I could get them installed there... So I got stuck and paid extra keeping it all in one place, it took them like three days until I got my car back, thankfully they had a loaner car that I wasn't charged for except filling gas. My experience wasn't so pleasant, but all seems well. They said the alignment is perfect, but they will surely be fixing it no charge if something goes wrong with my tire wear.

Wow, what an unnecessary experience. Glad it all worked out though. I've called a few places and it ranges from $350 - $700+. Personally think $350 is still a little much.

Originally Posted by Black3sr
My local Dodge dealer( I have a Caravan as well) charged me $98 CDN to do my springs.
Was that $98 per spring or $98 in total. Maybe I'll call a few dealers to see what they charge (if they'll even do it in the first place).

Old 03-21-2016, 08:11 AM
Originally Posted by rise
Wow, what an unnecessary experience. Glad it all worked out though. I've called a few places and it ranges from $350 - $700+. Personally think $350 is still a little much.

Was that $98 per spring or $98 in total. Maybe I'll call a few dealers to see what they charge (if they'll even do it in the first place).
Yes, call around. Honda won't do it cause it's not manufacture parts, aftermarket. Just find a reputable aftermarket shop to get it done, most importantly is the alignment after the springs are installed. For me the front end needed the subframe adjustment to get everything perfect, remember, 1.5" for the front is the max drop before camber bolts are needed. The rear does NOT have adjustment, no alignment. The 2" doesn't mean anything but to make the car level front to back, which distributes the weight evenly front to back under braking, no warped rotor vibrations like when it was stock, all the weight on the front to brake the car to a stop. Lots of advantages to lowering the Fit, but most importantly level ground clearance front to back for even weight distribution.

Old 03-21-2016, 08:27 AM
Yes, call around. Honda won't do it cause it's not manufacture parts, aftermarket. Just find a reputable aftermarket shop to get it done, most importantly is the alignment after the springs are installed. For me the front end needed the subframe adjustment to get everything perfect, remember, 1.5" for the front is the max drop before camber bolts are needed. The rear does NOT have adjustment, no alignment. The 2" doesn't mean anything but to make the car level front to back, which distributes the weight evenly front to back under braking, no warped rotor vibrations like when it was stock, all the weight on the front to brake the car to a stop. Lots of advantages to lowering the Fit, but most importantly level ground clearance front to back for even weight distribution.
Thanks for your insight. Do you know if all that applies to the GE8 as well?

Quick Reply: This is why you MUST install Tanabe DF210 TDF185 lowering springs!!!