Dealer offering Rustproofing package?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 09:25 PM
Dealer offering Rustproofing package?

Hey fellas,

I'm hoping to get my fit this coming Saturday from Ready Honda in Mississauga, Ont. I said yes to a $1500CAD dealer package that includes:

- yearly rustproofing
- stone chip repaint
- interior cleaning (ie. if I spilled coffee for instance)
- add Teflon coating on top of clearcoat (never have to wax the car according to him and acts as a protective barrier like a bra, but not as effective)

I think there were a couple more I missed (unfortunately, my contract is in my Accord glove box right now). Yearly rustproofing is valid for the life of the car. Actually, all of the above mentioned is valid for the life of the car. For the rustproofing, according to him it's non-invasive. Meaning, no holes drilled and they have a Honda-made tool that they use to insert their rustproofing solution. My only concern about this package is that I'm only allowed once a year between the months of Jan-Mar to get my car inspected and fixed. That kind of defeats the purpose of rustproofing. However, I believe it's just in their policy simply because I'm taking possession of the vehicle in Feb. So, the clock starts there sort of speak.
My question to you guys is that were you offered a similar deal when you bought your car? If you were offered but declined, mind my asking as to why? If you were offered and accepted, I'd like to hear some feedback from you. I'm curious to know if this is strictly offered as a private deal by the dealership or does Honda Canada actually have a nationwide package like this.

Thanks-a-bunch fellas.

Old 02-11-2007, 09:43 PM
Congratulations on getting your new Fit. You will love it!

Many dealers offer these types of packages, and many times the salesperson spends quite a bit of time explaining the benefits of each element of the package. The package is not from Honda, it is a dealer based source of additional income for the dealership.

Now, I'm sure the salesperson sounded very convincing, although I think most here would agree with me that this package is simply not needed. Your Fit comes with a rust-through warranty from Honda, you do not need an additional warranty. The other areas of the add-ons from the dealer are really not needed - you can clean your car with any type of carpet cleaner if you spill something on it.

Please call you dealer and tell them to remove that package before you take delivery. Again, congratulations on your purchase, the Fit is a great car!

Old 02-12-2007, 12:47 AM
save your money......

i was talked into the same scam when i bought my first car....'98 eclipse.

the only thing they ever did was put some clear coat protection on it......pretty much a $39.95 waxed job.

don't do it....you'll definitely regret it later.

Last edited by NaTuReB0Y; 02-12-2007 at 12:52 AM.
Old 02-16-2007, 06:03 PM
I didn't pay any extra when I got my Fit....actually in the Fit Manual....it says there is no need to put any extra rustproofing because it comes with it.