Car Shows, Events, and Racing Announcements, discussions, news reports, and pictures for Car Shows, Race Events, Media Events, and Group Drive Events. Please post Event Location in the Thread Title since this is an International Forum!

TPMS & 'traction control'

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 06:48 PM
TPMS & 'traction control'

When using different tire/wheel combination for autocross, from what I gather the TPMS sensors need to be installed/activated to turn off traction control. Is there a shortcut around this?

Old 12-07-2011, 11:19 PM
really? wow that sucks. glad i got the 2010 then.

Old 12-09-2011, 03:03 AM
5 Year Member
Wish BIG BROTHER would just leave cars alone. Stupid nanny devices like this are ignorant. If you are too lazy to check your tire pressures, get your ass on mass transit. If anything, it should be an option and not mandated. Glad Japan has not jumped on board with this...yet anyways. Mugen does sell an add-on TPMS as do some other makers.

Old 12-09-2011, 07:30 AM
Banned
I've read on an 8th gen Civic forum that this "feature" does not actually work as described in the manual and the VSA can be disabled with the tpms light on even though the manual says you cannot. Don't know if this would apply to the Fit but it might be worth a try/test.

You could lower the pressure in one of the rear tires so the low pressure light comes on and shut the vsa off and see if it de-activates.

The spare (or another rim without a tpms sensor) could also be installed to activate the TPMS warning light and see if you can de-activate the vsa with that light on.

Last edited by Chad T; 12-09-2011 at 07:34 AM.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:53 AM
^^^^^^^Excellent. I'll give that a try. Just trying to save a few $$ by not having sensors installed in wheels I'll use once in a while.

Old 12-09-2011, 05:56 PM
Banned
Please report back with your findings. Would love to be able to run some different sets of tires and haven't figured out a simple cost effective way of keeping the tpms system happy.

Old 12-09-2011, 08:16 PM
That didn't work. Can't de activate vsa. So we buy a set of RPF1's with sticky tires for auto x with the sensors installed. We have them activated by the dealer. When we swap between different sets I suppose the car doesn't know the difference?

Old 12-09-2011, 10:11 PM
Banned
Bummer. The sensors will have to be an exact match to the codes on the sensors on the car to not require a trip to the dealer for each wheel swap.

Wish I would have written down my sensor codes when I had tires put on. Don't know if the codes can be gotten electronically.

I think that's the next best option and something I wanted to try to figure out. If you just get 4 different sensors I think you'll have to get an ECU re-program at the dealer each time the wheels are changed. Real pain in the ass system.

Old 12-10-2011, 12:47 AM
Banned
Did a little more digging on this and found a fairly simple way to do this. This is a tool that will actually scan the sensor IDs and clone them onto a new programable sensor. Seems like this might be the way to go.

T30 Diagnostic Tool - TPMS - Orange Electronic USA - Tire Pressure Monitoring System

Found the info on a subie site where a guy actually used it.

Subaru TPMS cloning - Orange Electronics sensors - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

Schrader also makes a programable sensor but I don't know what you have to use to program it.

Old 12-10-2011, 08:23 AM
Thanks for those links. Wish one could just pull a fuse.

Last edited by mkane; 12-10-2011 at 08:51 AM.
Old 12-11-2011, 03:28 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by mkane
Thanks for those links. Wish one could just pull a fuse.
Lots of cars with TPMS are like that. just ad more sensors and you're good to go. They are not that pickey.

Not Honda though and I don't know who all does it this way but the sensor cloning deal seems like the best way to do the multiple wheel scenario.

Would be best to find a shop with the capability to clone sensors rather than buy the tool since you only have to program the sensors one time and they will be a supposedly perfect match to the OEM units.

$250 still seems like a steal for something that can do that but sucks to have to spend it just to clone one set of sensors.

Originally Posted by mkane
Wish one could just pull a fuse.
That would be the next thing to look at. A way to just disable it from within.

Last edited by Chad T; 12-11-2011 at 03:36 AM.
Old 12-11-2011, 03:37 AM
5 Year Member
This reminds me that my wife wanted me to put air in her leaking right rear tire... Now I have to bundle up and head out to the barn to do it or she will come home from work raising hell because that damned light is on again.

Old 12-11-2011, 03:46 AM
Banned
Should have checked my wife's tonight. I did pump mine up. Her's need rotated too. Maybe tommorow. Thanks for the reminder!..;-)

Old 12-11-2011, 04:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 555sexydrive
Wish BIG BROTHER would just leave cars alone. Stupid nanny devices like this are ignorant. If you are too lazy to check your tire pressures, get your ass on mass transit. If anything, it should be an option and not mandated. Glad Japan has not jumped on board with this...yet anyways. Mugen does sell an add-on TPMS as do some other makers.
I don't agree with you totally. I hate idiot devices, myself and especially hate ignorant government interference, but in three incidents with my Fit in the last 2 years, the TPMS was "actually" valuable. In all the incidences, my wife had actually gotten her tires punctured with nails. Because the leaks were slow, the light went on as a warning, but could still be driven on to get home for me to fix them before they went completely flat in some deserted location. Of course, in winter the TPMS is not working because I use snows without TPMS.

Old 12-12-2011, 11:26 AM
5 Year Member
There was the Ateq quickset tool which some people got to work, but other's didn't. Tirerack used to sell them, but I guess they stopped? It would be a good solution if it would work 100%
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...highlight=ateq