Car Shows, Events, and Racing Announcements, discussions, news reports, and pictures for Car Shows, Race Events, Media Events, and Group Drive Events. Please post Event Location in the Thread Title since this is an International Forum!

Taking my car to Sebring!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 12:59 PM
5 Year Member
Taking my car to Sebring!

I signed up to participate in a chin motorsports event at Sebring next month! I just wanted to ask if there were anything I should do before I take the fit to the track? I currently have t1r s coils,progress rsb,205/50/16 continental extreme contact dw's and some alpinestars tech 1 race gloves. I was thinking about changing the brake fluid to ate super blue but don't know if it's necessary since the fit is not a super fast car and could use the gears to help with slowing down. Any info is appreciated.

Thanks

Old 07-09-2011, 08:43 PM
5 Year Member
Probably going to need a helmet too. Don't worry about the brake fluid and have fun! If they have any instructors, listen to them! You will have way more fun once they ride with you and point out what to do to go faster as you are driving around the track. Your lap times will go down with every lap!

Old 07-09-2011, 10:29 PM
5 Year Member
They provide rental helmets, not sure how much. I was unsure about the brake fluid but have leaned more towards leaving it alone and see how it goes. I may take the spare tire out and run on a 1/2 or 1/4 tank of gas to help compensate for the instructors weight. I currently have no washer fluid either I drained it about 3 months ago to help save weight. I don't use the washer fluid anyways since it makes a mess all over the roof/sides of the car "i'm super anal about the car being clean". I will also have a go pro, front bumper mounted or windshield mounted and will post up the videos!

Old 08-26-2011, 04:56 PM
5 Year Member
your bro was in here showing me the pics! Post them up! Love the one with the r8 behind you. Now I have some motivation to get out and do a chin.

Last edited by gwai-lo; 08-26-2011 at 05:04 PM.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:19 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by gwai-lo
your bro was in here showing me the pics! Post them up! Love the one with the r8 behind you. Now I have some motivation to get out and do a chin.

Soon......

Old 09-06-2011, 04:54 PM
5 Year Member
Here are a few...

Last edited by ej96hatch; 09-06-2011 at 05:23 PM.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:49 AM
awesome pics...nothing better than taking the ride and smashing corners!!

Old 09-29-2011, 12:22 AM
5 Year Member
how did ur fluid do? When I tracked on stock fluid, it boiled super quick, dot 4 all the way now.

Old 09-29-2011, 10:30 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ej96hatch
I currently have no washer fluid either I drained it about 3 months ago to help save weight.
you went to this extent but you didnt want to put DOT4 in your braking system...

Not hating, just saying. As funny as this sounds, Brakes will make you faster on a track.

You could have been okay at autoX with DOT3 (oem) brake fluid but I would NEVER recommend for a road course.

Originally Posted by Special
how did ur fluid do? When I tracked on stock fluid, it boiled super quick, dot 4 all the way now.
+1 I want to know also. Motul Super Blue!

Its great to see you on a track ej96hatch, Its good to see you learning. Keep doing it. all you "need' is brake pads and fluid. next comes tires. then start worrying about suspension and other mods. use that money on seat time first.

And you might as well get a helm. Im no germ-O-phobe, but personally Im not putting a rental helmet on without atleast a head sock. /girly whiney voice.

Look for helms that are snell approved. ZAMP is a good cheap snell approved helmet brand. look good too.

let me know if you need some pointers or some advise. we were all newbs at once. Im not rude or egotistical. Im willing to share my knowledge with anyone who wants to feel what I feel and enjoy.

Life is about experiences and sharing them with others. HOLLA!

Old 10-09-2011, 02:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Special

I didn't have any issues with the brake fluid. I noticed a little bit of shaking in the steering wheel when braking late but other than that no other issues.

Jcrimson:

I will upgrade my fluid and pads for sure before I go again so I can practice some threshold braking and help improve my times. I may upgrade to stainless steel brake lines as well. So you recommend "motul super blue" for brake fluid what about pads/rotors? I used my brothers helmet "it was kinda small for me but I made it work". During the first session I noticed the car not handling well and having alot of oversteer, so I bled my tires from 36psi down to 33psi and the car handled beautifully!

My biggest thing with the car is corner exiting speed, it feels good going in and hitting the apex but exiting is pathetic. Overall I enjoyed the day. After seeing what the fit can do I have been thinking about trading the fit in next year for a golf tdi. I feel the extra hp and TONS more torque on the tdi will give me a better driving/learning experience!

Last edited by ej96hatch; 10-09-2011 at 04:54 PM.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:15 PM
5 Year Member
Actually tracking the slower Fit and going faster till you can just not go any faster will improve your driving/learning experience. Give your car to an experienced driver and if they are much faster, than you know you definitely have not reached your own potential in the Fit. Just something to think about, before just trading in the car for one with more power.

Old 12-24-2011, 06:35 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ej96hatch
I have been thinking about trading the fit in next year for a golf tdi. I feel the extra hp and TONS more torque on the tdi will give me a better driving/learning experience!
Yeah that's the noob mistake. Having less hp forces you to learn momentum driving, which in turn should make you an all around better driver on & off track.

Old 12-24-2011, 11:23 AM
Go in slow, come out fast.

Old 12-24-2011, 11:59 AM
5 Year Member
Back when I had a TDI, I wanted a Fit. No top end, even though I had it tuned up to about 130+whp and ungodly amounts of torque. It would have raped my Fit in a straight line, but you can't wind those out and they don't sound good. Not fulfilling to an enthusiast!

After 5 years, I was sick of having to shift so much and almost get rear ended when trying to gently leave stoplights and not give the people behind me a smoke screen, but that was my own choice in how I tuned the car. Even with a massive push in the seat from all that torque, you're still not going anywhere that fast for longer than a few seconds. If you really need the highway mileage, then it's a good choice, but for the price it's not an economical solution (unless you're gonna get an old MKIV or something, and are trying to eliminate a car payment and such.)

Also, torque destroys things. After I replaced the clutch, fifth gear would grab, but damn, the amount of force of the tranny was a lot, and then that broke too. Not a good fit for my driving style, even though I would never hammer it (on a tdi, this is not good) and had the boost spike limited. The engine was probably fine, but still, something to think about.