Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Advice for maintenance?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2019, 05:26 AM
Advice for maintenance?

Hi All,
New owner of a 2010 Fit Sport and would appreciate any info on maintenance, as far as sensors, valves, etc. that should be cleaned ----- my car has over 115K. The car had two previous owners and even though the body was in poor shape (looked like it was never waxed and hardly cleaned) the engine seemed to be maintained fairly well with oil changes, etc.
Question is, would anyone have any recommendations on what I can do to clean or maintain the car, especially doing things like cleaning "stuff" that may not have been attended to for years? I mean, such things like sensors, valves, etc. that should be cleaned on a regular basis?
I have already done some work on the car and here's a rundown.
Done much body "cleaning" and repair, buffing paint and washing seats, etc.
Don't know if this edit took but I do have a new PCV valve coming from RockAuto too.
Oh, have a new PCV valve coming in the mail too. :-)
Installed a new serpentine belt----a real SOB of a job actually. Whew!
Changed auto transmission fluid, once. Will repeat soon with a new filter then once more.
About to change oil and filter although oil looks clean. Will run engine cleaner through gas tank just before change.
Changed both air and cabin filter.
Changing oil, gas and radiator caps.
Cleaned EGR and will clean passenges when gasket arrives from RockAuto.
Cleaned the throttle body. Really dirty.
That's it, to date. But is there any other sensor, or other maintenance issue that I should be doing on parts that may need replacing or are just plain dirty? Thanks for your input and knowledge. Much appreciated.

Last edited by JerryHughes; 05-03-2019 at 05:31 AM.
Old 05-03-2019, 12:36 PM
5 Year Member
from what I read, alot of GE's have a problem with spark plugs going loose. you may want to check / re tighten

Old 05-03-2019, 12:40 PM
Originally Posted by evilchargerfan
from what I read, alot of GE's have a problem with spark plugs going loose. you may want to check / re tighten
Ah, yes, I had read something on that too. My plugs were replaced less than a year ago by the past owner so I was thinking that they may not need attention yet? Also, I was very surprised on how long these cars go without a plug change! Thank you for the advice. I will look into it!

Old 05-03-2019, 12:42 PM
Im also a new honda fit owner but have read a couple things you could take a look at:
-Spark plugs can loosen on the 09-13 year models and can do expensive damage to your engine if not addressed. unfortunately they are also difficult to access because you need to remove wiper blades, plastic cowl. I changed the spark plugs yesterday on my 13 fit and it was a pain in the ass
- cleaning mass airflow sensor with MAF cleaner spray is an easy little thing you can do to help with gas mileage

Old 05-03-2019, 12:52 PM
Thank you, I will look up the procedure on cleaning that and will do. Actually, my car is running quite well, gas mileage is really good (got 43 m.p.g. on highway but using the dashboard stats and not actually checking) but all else seems to be good. When at idle, it's so smooth, it seems like someone shut the car off! But as stated, don't know the complete history and want to make sure all the little stuff is taken care of too that may have been neglected, the past 115K miles. Thanks again.

Old 05-04-2019, 11:42 PM
Got the new PCV valve installed today, the EGR passenges cleaned and new gasket installed, the MAF sensor cleaned, and of course, the throttle body cleaned, new air filters installed, and am wondering if there is any other sensor or valve that needs to be cleaned or replaced or are the rest of the sensors----let it be until it fails??? With 115K on the car, I wonder how long to go before changing out or cleaning a sensor, etc.? Drive until they fail? Thank you!

Old 05-05-2019, 02:46 PM
5 Year Member
You should be good for a while. The sensors that are most common to need replacing are O2 sensors, but typically not "preventative" replacement, they will cause a code if they go bad. Use quality gasoline, drive it an enjoy.

Old 05-05-2019, 03:30 PM
Originally Posted by Alfa38
You should be good for a while. The sensors that are most common to need replacing are O2 sensors, but typically not "preventative" replacement, they will cause a code if they go bad. Use quality gasoline, drive it an enjoy.
Alright, Alfa38! That's good to hear. Thank you very much for your feedback.

Old 05-05-2019, 04:53 PM
5 Year Member
I agree, just drive it and enjoy. Of course you can loose a sensor or part at any point but it will get costly to replace everything that could fail. I guess this is why people buy new vehicles, for peace of mind.

Old 05-05-2019, 05:02 PM
Originally Posted by GolNat
I agree, just drive it and enjoy. Of course you can loose a sensor or part at any point but it will get costly to replace everything that could fail. I guess this is why people buy new vehicles, for peace of mind.
Yeah, what's the old saying, "Don't fix it if it ain't broke". I'll second that. :-)