Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Tinted windshield and Dash cam?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2019, 05:53 PM
Tinted windshield and Dash cam?

Hi all,
Yeah, I know this is a stupid question but---------Just wondering if anyone would know for sure-----I have a 2010 Fit and my windshield "seems" darker than the outside but I'm not sure it if has been tinted or not. Thing is that I bought a dash camera and with it comes a windshield mount that glues on the inside of the windshield. I poked around the windshield with a knife and there doesn't seem to be any kind of darkened "film" on it so I'm wondering if the darker appearance is, in the glass itself? I wouldn't want to mount the glue on the windshield if when I finally take it off, some tinted film would come off too. If there is no tinted film, when I eventually take that mount off, I can simply use a razor blade. Anyone know for sure? Thanks,
Jerry
Oh, I tried a suction cup mount but there is too much vibration. Camera won't hold, steady enough. With the glued on mount, I'm pretty sure it would not vibrate. Thanks.

Last edited by JerryHughes; 06-25-2019 at 09:12 PM. Reason: Additional info
Old 07-30-2019, 12:17 AM
Originally Posted by JerryHughes
Hi all,
Yeah, I know this is a stupid question but---------Just wondering if anyone would know for sure-----I have a 2010 Fit and my windshield "seems" darker than the outside but I'm not sure it if has been tinted or not. Thing is that I bought a dash camera and with it comes a windshield mount that glues on the inside of the windshield. I poked around the windshield with a knife and there doesn't seem to be any kind of darkened "film" on it so I'm wondering if the darker appearance is, in the glass itself? I wouldn't want to mount the glue on the windshield if when I finally take it off, some tinted film would come off too. If there is no tinted film, when I eventually take that mount off, I can simply use a razor blade. Anyone know for sure? Thanks,
Jerry
Oh, I tried a suction cup mount but there is too much vibration. Camera won't hold, steady enough. With the glued on mount, I'm pretty sure it would not vibrate. Thanks.
A picture would help but windshields are generally clear with no tint other than near the headliner but that is blue tint embedded into the glass. If you scratch it with a knife it should feel hard like glass. If there is any tint on it whatsoever it will gouge easy. Even if you do so happen to mount it onto tinted surface a good way to remove the mount is to use fish line or dental floss.

Old 07-30-2019, 02:03 AM
Originally Posted by wetto
A picture would help but windshields are generally clear with no tint other than near the headliner but that is blue tint embedded into the glass. If you scratch it with a knife it should feel hard like glass. If there is any tint on it whatsoever it will gouge easy. Even if you do so happen to mount it onto tinted surface a good way to remove the mount is to use fish line or dental floss.
Okay, great. It doesn't scratch with a knife and does feel hard. I've since used a suction cup mount for my camera and it goes on and off easily. Thanks for your info!
Jerry