General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

GPS cell phone holder / windshield mount for 2010 Fit?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 11:09 AM
GPS cell phone holder / windshield mount for 2010 Fit?

Anyone have any recommendations for a good cell phone holder for the Fit, to be used for GPS navigation?

The neck needs to be long enough to extend from the windshield to close to the driver, and it needs to not wobble while driving.

Or it can be something else like a dash mount.

Old 01-15-2011, 11:18 AM
I understand... FIT's slopping windshield does not make it conducive for windshield mount and the longer the goose neck, the more vibration your GPS will be subjected under while the car is in idle and you will get cross eyed trying to view a vibrating GPS screen. In addition, the suction marks on your windshield will act as a "bulls eye" target for thieves prowling around to decide whose car to break in. The jackpot for thieves for a FIT sports will be 4 wheel and sports rim, and GPS plus other belongings in the car.

This GPS mounting subject has also been discussed previously in a few threads. Some folks used beanbag while others mount on the driver side triangular window. Some hard-wired the GPS on top of the sun visor. If you do a search "GPS mount" on this site, you will get a lot of hits and read from there.

Last edited by Ric01; 01-15-2011 at 11:22 AM.
Old 01-15-2011, 01:59 PM
5 Year Member
Old 01-15-2011, 06:40 PM
Koi
5 Year Member
I've been using an Arkon mount for my DroidX... works pretty well

Old 01-15-2011, 09:56 PM
5 Year Member
I use this

UNIVERSAL SMART PHONE Car Mount CD Cell Holder Dock Kit - eBay (item 150546419293 end time Jan-16-11 20:00:34 PST)

slips 1cm into the cd slot, doesn't effect cd play.

why I like it?
-kinda stealth to thief vs windshield mount ( I dont remove it)
-doesn't leave that ring on windshield.

Old 01-17-2011, 02:00 AM
The problem that I see with a lot of these mounts is that the phone is too far away from the driver to see the display. I would like a mount that sticks the phone at least as far as the steering wheel.

Cell phone displays are not that big...

Old 05-18-2011, 03:03 AM
Uh, does it mean you want some flexibility with your cell phone while you are driving?

how about this, a car mount cell phone holder, the clip can fasten your phone firmly and the suction pad can stick to any flat surface in the car...

Old 05-18-2011, 11:07 AM
This is what I did. You can put the velcro on the higher knobs.

Old 05-18-2011, 11:26 AM

Adlai3... that strikes me as a neat solution to the issue. That HVAC knob is usually set and left alone unless weather changes.

There are not too many areas near the driver to mount a GPS / phone holder.

I don't like using a suction cup on the triangle glass piece because I have tint on that and don't want to risk messing that up.

I did purchase a cup holder mount with a very stiff goose-neck from RAM Mount and have been using that in the center console cup holder.

I have two issues with that location... I find the longer viewing distance means I have to look at the screen longer -and- I need to move my eyes further away from the road such that peripheral vision does not see anything that might pop up on the road.

Now I'm considering experimenting with a suction mount on the front windshield area between the center rear view and headliner. Given there is already an overlay over the glass in that location my concern is whether the suction will stick sufficiently. Anyways, I will find out soon enough. The other issue with that location is the power cord dangling.

Old 05-18-2011, 11:35 AM
Originally Posted by Paul56
Adlai3... that strikes me as a neat solution to the issue. That HVAC knob is usually set and left alone unless weather changes.

There are not too many areas near the driver to mount a GPS / phone holder.

I don't like using a suction cup on the triangle glass piece because I have tint on that and don't want to risk messing that up.

I did purchase a cup holder mount with a very stiff goose-neck from RAM Mount and have been using that in the center console cup holder.

I have two issues with that location... I find the longer viewing distance means I have to look at the screen longer -and- I need to move my eyes further away from the road such that peripheral vision does not see anything that might pop up on the road.

Now I'm considering experimenting with a suction mount on the front windshield area between the center rear view and headliner. Given there is already an overlay over the glass in that location my concern is whether the suction will stick sufficiently. Anyways, I will find out soon enough. The other issue with that location is the power cord dangling.
I tried a phone mount that I used in my Jetta but I don't like it either on the triangle window. For my GPS, the voice directions work well from the location but you are right about looking away from the road. But if I'm going somewhere I'm not really familiar with, I usually have my wife help navigate (she's terrible at directions though). As far as the power cord, I want to paint that the same color as the dash and glue it down.

Old 05-18-2011, 12:28 PM
Originally Posted by neil patrick harris
i wanted to share this w/o having to start a new thread.

here's my car mount. it consists of a inverted/modified suction cup ball mount from a garmin unit. it'll work with any device that has a smooth rear end. all you need is some screws and this garmin suction cup mount that you can get from ebay for around $5.

you can put it in portrait mode as well:

it's absolutely rock solid as all garmin mounts are. no vibrations and it holds its position very, very well.

i hope this gives you folks some ideas.
you don't even have to have an empty DIN pocket like my old setup above. you just have to find a good spot to mount the suction cup.