Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

DIY OEM Fog Light install on Base Fit

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 09:56 AM
5 Year Member
Install done, here are some pics. Pardon the dust and dirt, I haven't been able to wash the car lately due to some stitches in my stomach from outpatient surgery.

The interior electrical work was straightforward - easier than the keyless entry since all the connections are accessible from the front of the fuse panel.

The look -

Up close to show the good fit of these -

And one for Mujon_Dom showing the wiring at the switch -

Last edited by Rob22315; 05-17-2008 at 01:32 PM.
Old 05-17-2008, 10:11 AM
5 Year Member
Anyone have any experience with the ebay $70 fogs? The main difference in the pictures appears to be the wiring. Does the simplified wiring on the ebay fogs allow the fogs to be operated independently of the headlights?

How's the quality? If they're pretty good, that might be a great alternative to the US Honda fogs.

Old 05-17-2008, 10:26 AM
Rob, you're a saint!!!

Thank you very much!!!

Old 08-23-2008, 05:04 AM
Pm me

pm me the full instructions plz, oh and how much do these run for???

Old 08-31-2008, 01:36 AM
anyone know if running fog lights a dif. color than yellow or white is legal in the US?

i am interesting in getting a set for my base fit, but want to outfit them with some red bulbs and or red tint to match the neon that is behind the bumper. i figure if i can get away with running red fogs, i could run the neon too, as it doesnt spray onto the road at all, just behind the bumper.

Old 08-31-2008, 02:17 AM
5 Year Member
Since I see you are a fellow Pennsylvanian I can tell you that lighting on the front of the vehicle that is not white, yellow or amber (HID headlights excluded) is illegal here.

Aside from legality red lighting in such a location would do absolutely nothing to help you see.

Old 08-31-2008, 03:28 PM
Thanks for the info. To be honest, i dont really want the fog lights for added visibility. i live in pittsburgh and street lighting is pretty good for most everywhere i drive. i want them to accent a red neon behind my front bumper. i can deal with not turning them on while driving, as i have lived up to now without them. i also think the front bumper looks better with the fog lights in there

thanks for the info tho! where in PA do you live?

Old 08-31-2008, 05:32 PM
5 Year Member
do as you wish, don't ask about running with other than legal colors when you're not going to be driving with them...

ricer... ~_~

Ill get my street glows installed later.

Old 09-08-2008, 08:21 PM
Beware of cheap-o's from eBay

I have bought the cheap-o fog lights off of e-bay. Original link said "New 07-08 Honda Fit OEM Clear Super White Fog light Complete Set". For 80 bucks it seemed like a good deal. Here are the warnings I have for anyone considering it.

1. No template was provide to cut the holes. That's not that big of a deal because those are easier enough to judge.

2. The directions do not match up correctly to it for the wiring.

3. Exterior wiring harness didnt connect correctly to the blue taped wire. Again, not a big problem because I just cut the connection and spliced the wires together.

4. The interior wiring harness didn't match up at all. I emphasize NOT AT ALL.

5. The switch they provided was too big for the slot. It slid into the slot correctly and all, but you can't press or depress the button at all.

I'm still waiting to take it to a professional to get their opinion on the interior wiring. The car has a nice fog light look to it, but the lights do not work at all. I'll post an update once I get the lights working. In the end even with the hassle these cheap ones may be worth the discount even with the severe problems.

If anyone has any ideas or questions I can take the car apart again and take pictures. I can post pictures of the interior wiring harness if needed for anyone.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:13 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the info. This will help those looking only for housings. A set of ebay fogs (or Zetaproducts) will still be much less than a replacement housing from Honda.

The switch description doesn't sound right. How can the switch fit but be too big to press? My switch is enclosed so there's nothing to interfere with the switch operating. Does it work when not installed?

Obviously, the wiring is a BIG problem. I take it the instructions weren't much help. You could try to contact Zetaproducts to see how well their wiring kits work. If their kit's are good, maybe they have an extra wire set from a returned kit laying around they'd be willing to sell you cheap.

Old 09-10-2008, 11:05 PM
The switch discription is exactly as I said. It was the one failure, apart from the wiring harness.

Here are some pictures showing how it stays flat with the surface.

I had a guy I know help me with the install today. In the past he did lighting work in classic cars, so he was the perfect person to help install these. The wiring harness they sent was complete rubbish so we did most of the wiring ourselves. Cutting the holes for the fog lights was the easy part compared to wiring them up.

Here's a picture of how it was wired up while working.

Theres that 4-pin connector that plugs into the fuse box inside the car. Only the bottom pin has a (red) wire in it for constant power, that wire went to the switch. Whenever the switch got power, no matter if it was pressed or depressed, the indicator light was on. From the switch there were 3 wires: yellow, black, and white. Those 3 wires went into a relay. Before the relay the black wire split off into 2 wires, one grounded to the body, the other went to the relay. Let me just say here, the relay didn't work. So we bypassed the relay and wired the yellow directly to the red wire of the fog lights. With this wiring setup the lights would turn on and off as long as the car was on with a press of the switch. The white wire went no where. I've no idea what it should have gone to, or if it was even needed. But this was a simplistic solution.

Here's a picture of the wiring partily done. The wires had to be fed through the side hole of the car to get them outside.

After that install was done and the car was all back together I drove home. After about 5 miles of driving I smelt some smoke from my fuse box. I pulled open the fuse box and checked on the switch. The switch was hot (from the light constantly being on). I pulled the switch out and unplugged it. Smoke was bellowing out of the switch and connector.

The switch is no longer usable.

Friday I will be making my own switch for the fog lights, and keeping a close eye on the heat before I begin driving.

Old 09-11-2008, 10:39 AM
so.... dont buy ebay fogs?

Old 09-11-2008, 10:55 AM
If you know how to do car electrical work, it's a simple cheap solution you have to wire in yourself. Maybe the set I got was just a combo of a bad relay and bad switch. Friday I'll be seeing if I can wire power directly from the fuse box into the switch then out to the fog lights. Honestly the whole thing of wiring them yourself wasnt too hard, the side pannel of the car came off with 3 or 4 bolts, 2 screws, and a few clips. That gave you access to where the wires exit the car's interior and enter the hood. Once this is all said and done I'll give a full consensus about these fog lights. All I can say so far is, it's not a 1 person job.

Old 09-11-2008, 05:26 PM
5 Year Member
Sounds to me that you wired the relay incorrectly to the switch.

The relay shouldn't have gotten that hot, and I'm surprised the fuse didn't blow. Maybe wrong fuse? it shouldn't be any larger than a 5amp fuse to throw a relay...

The way itlooks most likely wrong wire plugged into the relay.

Old 10-12-2008, 11:19 AM
I really do not understand how to hook the harness up to the fuse panel. I've read the information in this thread, but it's really not clear as to what plug is supposed to go where :S very confusing.

Old 10-12-2008, 11:41 AM
5 Year Member
some entries from the install manual

Here are pretty much all of the steps involved at the fuse panel. These are for both the the switch and the lights.

Name:  panel1.jpg
Views: 4823
Size:  70.9 KB

Name:  panel2.jpg
Views: 3924
Size:  58.4 KB

Name:  panel3.jpg
Views: 3967
Size:  58.0 KB

Name:  panel4.jpg
Views: 4022
Size:  48.2 KB

Name:  panel5.jpg
Views: 4058
Size:  49.3 KB

Name:  panel7.jpg
Views: 4117
Size:  71.2 KB

Name:  panel8.jpg
Views: 3980
Size:  79.2 KB

Name:  panel9.jpg
Views: 3867
Size:  64.1 KB

Old 03-16-2009, 06:08 PM
5 Year Member
Great Thread,

installed Fog Lights today and yes referred to this thread while installing.

Old 03-20-2009, 07:38 AM
just did mine on a 2009 fit. the only things that got me was finding the connector plug in the engine bay. it is on the right side under the windsheild fluid compartment. but to get to it you pretty much have to remove alot of the tire well fender to get it. another thing is you really have to be very careful in releasing the bumper clips by the headlights. I used a long skinny flathead to get to it. the bumper definitely is very pliable and will dent if you are not careful. Also the black clips attached to the headlights are rigid and dont bend much . so dont and put too much pressure or they will snap off.

Other than that it was a snap.

Rene

Old 03-28-2009, 04:38 PM
5 Year Member
Hey guys I am sorry to re-open this topic. but someone could send to me this manual, is has been a though task to find those connector...

Thanks

Old 03-28-2009, 05:04 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by lmsoares
Hey guys I am sorry to re-open this topic. but someone could send to me this manual, is has been a though task to find those connector...

Thanks

what connector are you looking for? The one up in the driver's side wheel well?

Quick Reply: DIY OEM Fog Light install on Base Fit