Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

DIY Transmission Fluid Change

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 10:03 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by RubyQQ1211
I am sure I overfilled it because I only jacked up the driver side. But the extra oil are just sitting there right? I assume it won't hurt. ><
Hey "neighbor", I don't know about Fit MT's cuz I don't have one, but usually MT's have a plug in the side where you can check fill level. You remove the plug (bolt, remove with a wrench), and if full on level ground, fluid just trickles out. Put plug back in, tighten, and all is OK. If nothing trickles out, not full. PITA with something as low as a Fit.

Too full= too much pressure, and seal leaks are the result. Maybe with the Fit there is a pressure relief vent tube, as there is on the AT. Overfill= not good. I don't know what the situation is with the MT- - -.

Old 02-13-2008, 10:11 PM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
i have a MT question.
is the drain plug on the transmission the same size thread as the oil drain plug?? i ask because when i got my spoon magnetic oil drain plug, it came with two. one with a short magnetic post and one with a long post. i put the long post one into my oil drain plug and i want to put the short post in my transmission. im sure it would be VERY useful because there are more metal shavings accumulated in the trans. than the engine.

Old 02-13-2008, 10:15 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by kelsodeez
i have a MT question.
is the drain plug on the transmission the same size thread as the oil drain plug?? i ask because when i got my spoon magnetic oil drain plug, it came with two. one with a short magnetic post and one with a long post. i put the long post one into my oil drain plug and i want to put the short post in my transmission. im sure it would be VERY useful because there are more metal shavings accumulated in the trans. than the engine.
Would answer your question if I could, but don't have MT- anybody else have an answer??

Old 02-14-2008, 01:02 AM
5 Year Member
I guess I am just lazy enough to not wanting to put it back down to the ground to make sure no fluid comes out. ><

Old 02-14-2008, 01:11 AM
5 Year Member
i have a MT question.
I didn't pay attention to the thread size when I did mine. However, the drain plug is definitely longer than the fill plug. I am guessing what you did is correct.

Old 02-14-2008, 01:20 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by martymcfly
I didn't pay attention to the thread size when I did mine. However, the drain plug is definitely longer than the fill plug. I am guessing what you did is correct.
Wait! I think the long one is for the tranny and the short one is for the engine. Someone did this should chimp in to confirm.

Old 02-14-2008, 05:50 AM
5 Year Member
i dont know from experience, but seeing as the trans bolt is side mounted, using the long one would make more sense. the oil plug is at the bottom of the pan, so any metal shaving should naturally accumulate there, where as the fact that the trans bolt is sideways, it would benefit from the longer magnetic peice.

Old 02-14-2008, 03:04 PM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Lyshk0
i dont know from experience, but seeing as the trans bolt is side mounted, using the long one would make more sense. the oil plug is at the bottom of the pan, so any metal shaving should naturally accumulate there, where as the fact that the trans bolt is sideways, it would benefit from the longer magnetic peice.
yea that makes sense. i havent changed my trans fluid but i am going to soon. does the transmission drain bolt require a new crush washer?

Old 02-20-2008, 03:36 AM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
update: went to opak racing and they said that the long post is the engine oil plug and the short post is the trans plug. straight from the race mechanic's mouth.

Old 02-25-2008, 03:24 PM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
another update: just finished changing my trans fluid. i forgot how much i hate the smell of gear oil. i used 1.6 quarts of Redline MTL. the spoon drain plug fit beautifully. my trans shifts like butter!!!

Old 02-25-2008, 03:31 PM
5 Year Member
another update:... my trans shifts like butter!!!
I know what you mean. The difference is night-and-day. How often are you planning to change it? 15k, 30k...?

Old 02-25-2008, 03:34 PM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by martymcfly
I know what you mean. The difference is night-and-day. How often are you planning to change it? 15k, 30k...?
whoa!! i plan on changing my trans oil every 5,000 miles.that trans oil was dirty as hell! but this is coming from a guy that changes his engine oil every 1,000 miles

Old 02-25-2008, 03:51 PM
5 Year Member
whoa!! i plan on changing my trans oil every 5,000 miles.that trans oil was dirty as hell! but this is coming from a guy that changes his engine oil every 1,000 miles
Wow..are you sure you are not over-doing it with 5k interval and magnetic plug? That sound a little bit extreme. Maybe you track a lot..I dunno.

Old 02-25-2008, 05:11 PM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
haha no ive never tracked my car (yet). my car is my baby. it may be overdoing it by changing my trans oil every 5k but it was a pretty simple procedure and i love my car that much.

Old 03-26-2008, 02:22 PM
5 Year Member
at what kms do i change tranny oil in a auto ??

yeah..i hate oil pumps....it ever sucks properly..and always make a mess

Old 03-26-2008, 02:49 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FELIXY69
at what kms do i change tranny oil in a auto ??
For auto I believe you have to do a "flush". Drain and fill changes only a portion of the total. I don't have a auto fit but from what I practice in my other auto, auto is even more demanding on the fluid and it should be changed every 30k at least. Check the owner manual for auto change interval.

Old 06-02-2008, 08:16 PM
5 Year Member
any one know how big the tubing needs to be? I'm debating trying this with funnel and gravity method.

If the car needs to be level in order to drain and fill it, how hard is it access the bolts, while its flat on the ground?

Old 06-03-2008, 12:29 AM
Originally Posted by tackhouse1
any one know how big the tubing needs to be? I'm debating trying this with funnel and gravity method.

If the car needs to be level in order to drain and fill it, how hard is it access the bolts, while its flat on the ground?
I would guess 3/8" vinyl tubing would be fine and then use a clip to tighten it around the drain plug.

Anyone know @ what mileage to change my transmission fluid in an AT? It only said in mountainous terrain to change at 60k then 30k each time afterwards. I don't live in a mountainous terrain so Im not sure what mileage to change it at

Old 11-16-2009, 03:18 PM
Originally Posted by rpboy06
Anyone know @ what mileage to change my transmission fluid in an AT? It only said in mountainous terrain to change at 60k then 30k each time afterwards. I don't live in a mountainous terrain so Im not sure what mileage to change it at
Mountanous terrain = harsh/extreme driving conditions. I imagine you could change at a longer interval, such as 100k then 50k, but if you could be safe by changing at 60k and 30k, which is what i plan on doing.

Old 01-27-2010, 10:19 PM
5 Year Member
another update: just finished changing my trans fluid. i forgot how much i hate the smell of gear oil. i used 1.6 quarts of Redline MTL. the spoon drain plug fit beautifully. my trans shifts like butter!!!
Great to hear that MTL works well with the Fit 5M trans. I've got a few qts on the shelf that I was hoping to use and found this on a search. Not much going on with the Fit transmission, I guess. Sure will be nice to get a smooth, consistent shift every time. For some reason, mine grinds 3rd from time to time. Not a hard grind, but annoying. I hope MTL is the fix - Redline sure made my old musclecar 4-speed shift nice.

HF

Quick Reply: DIY Transmission Fluid Change