Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

DIY Transmission Fluid Change

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 03:35 PM
If your transmission has a dipstick, sure. But manual transmissions don't.

As for the amount you put back in, it's not exactly arduous to undo 1 bolt . . . especially when it's same the bolt you fill with.

Old 04-13-2010, 03:09 AM
5 Year Member
Is there a DIY article like this for automatic transmissions?

Old 08-20-2010, 12:17 AM
To the top!

Old 08-27-2010, 03:00 PM
5 Year Member
^ if only we could! its pretty simliar, get under the car and you'll see.

Old 08-27-2010, 04:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kday
sell it and get a manual
Not on your life.

Old 08-27-2010, 10:19 PM
5 Year Member
Didn't know a DIY existed for this already!

The funnel method works; that's how the mechanics did it on mine. They had a bit of trouble routing the tube into the filler hole (funnel hose was pretty old and twisting), but otherwise it was straightforward.

Old 09-15-2010, 04:42 AM
5 Year Member
so any word on the A/T? is it the same?

Old 09-21-2010, 04:06 PM
On MT Fits is there a vent tube on the top of the transmission pointing straight up like my Civic and Integra?

I used to pop the vent cover and hook a 3/8ths vinyl hose and funnel to it.

Then loosen the filler plug to vent and fill through the top side vent. I'd go slow and quit at the specified amount which was when it would start to come out the side filler plug.

Much easier than filling through that sideways opening filler plug down-under.

John

Old 10-01-2010, 06:53 PM
I bought a funnel with a hose attached into it from autozone(about 12 inches long) and I tried on where to stick the hose so it will reach the fill hole but it seems like I needed a longer hose to do that or maybe take the front driver side wheel in order to do it?

Old 10-02-2010, 01:17 PM
I went to do this today on my MT Fit. I bought it with about 45k miles used, and now I'm up to about 57k so it was time. I read this DIY first, so I carefully went to take the fill plug off first with a socket wrench -- that thing is TIGHT on there. I'm not a terribly strong guy, but this thing was an order of magnitude tighter than my oil drain plug was when I've taken it off. I could move it with A LOT of effort, but I think it's definitely tighter than it ought to be; I don't know if whoever had it before just over-tightened it or what!

Any ideas on how to get it off? I have some pits available for my use, I may trying working under the car on those and see if I just need a little more space.

Old 10-02-2010, 01:55 PM
Originally Posted by salogni63
I went to do this today on my MT Fit. I bought it with about 45k miles used, and now I'm up to about 57k so it was time. I read this DIY first, so I carefully went to take the fill plug off first with a socket wrench -- that thing is TIGHT on there. I'm not a terribly strong guy, but this thing was an order of magnitude tighter than my oil drain plug was when I've taken it off. I could move it with A LOT of effort, but I think it's definitely tighter than it ought to be; I don't know if whoever had it before just over-tightened it or what!

Any ideas on how to get it off? I have some pits available for my use, I may trying working under the car on those and see if I just need a little more space.
Apparently I'm not a terribly SMART guy either . I was turning the wrench the wrong way! No excuse, just been a long week I guess!

Old 10-04-2010, 05:31 PM
Originally Posted by salogni63
Apparently I'm not a terribly SMART guy either . I was turning the wrench the wrong way! No excuse, just been a long week I guess!
Were you able to loosen the plug? If not try using a breaker bar. The turn should be counter clockwise.

Old 10-04-2010, 05:40 PM
I just did mine today. Funnel with attached tube and an improvised cut out tube and used it as extension to reach the fill hole. I poured it from the top of the engine. I didn't wait until any fluid to dribble down the fill hole and I just measured it by pouring the entire bottle and then left 400mL on the second bottle. I know that is a little over 1.6 quartz.

I notice that the shifter is easier to engage into each gear.

Last edited by Black01; 10-05-2010 at 08:30 AM.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:49 PM
Originally Posted by Black01
Were you able to loosen the plug? If not try using a breaker bar. The turn should be counter clockwise.
I was able to loosen the plug in the end, thanks for asking. I barely moved the bolt when I was tightening it, so a little bit of force got it loose going the other way. I guess I never thought it before, but righty-tighty lefty-loosey only makes sense when you're picturing the wrench at 12 o'clock...learn something new every day .

Old 04-22-2012, 04:52 PM
Did my MT today. 60k service and I went to RedLine MTL. I thought it wacky to pay near-synthetic prices at my Honda dealer for non-synthetic lube. I did the funnel and tube method also - worked really well. The pictures at the beginning of the post helped me confirm that I was in the right place. Thank you!
Bman

Old 07-12-2012, 01:51 AM
is this the oil for the auto box? and how much do i need?
thanks

Old 07-12-2012, 04:46 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hayden"stig"mackay
is this the oil for the auto box? and how much do i need?
thanks
Here's the thread for AT fluid change:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...nsmission.html

Last edited by Subie; 07-12-2012 at 04:51 AM.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:35 AM
I found it easiest to take out the battery and the plate it stands on to give good access from the top to the filler bolt. Then used a cheap squeezy pump and tube to get the MTF in. Hard to see when it's dribbling out, so put down plenty of newspaper first in case you go way over like I did.

And don't forget to level the car before you fill else you'll have to undo it all again and check...like I did.

Old 03-11-2013, 03:19 PM
5 Year Member
So what do you guys suggest is the easiest way to change the oil on a MT and what equipment?

Im planning on getting Redline trans oil and someone suggested a 3/8 tubing can someone confirm this, I will be doing the gravity method where I run a tube to the fill plug. Also I only have a couple jacks, so I'm planning on
1. Jacking up driver side unscrew both plugs and lowering car back down to drain.
2. Jack back up screw in drain plug and run tubing down to fill plug.
3. Lower again and fill until I see some oil flowing out of fill plug.
4. Jack back up and screw in fill plug.
This is how I'm picturing the best way for me to complete this job with what I have. If any one has a higher tips or advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Ryne

Old 03-11-2013, 09:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by everyone
So what do you guys suggest is the easiest way to change the oil on a MT and what equipment?

The exact size of the tube is not critical. It just has to be smaller than the hole in the trans (or else the excess fluid will not drain out and you will overfill).

You can buy a hand fluid-pump for 10 bucks or a draincock (cut-off valve) that screws onto the quart bottle. (These come with tubes) But, when you withdraw the tube, you will spill some unless you plug the end of the tube with a suitable object. I use a bolt.

Why don't you buy a set of ramps? They are safer and would allow you to "level" the car side-to-side instead of tediously jacking the car up and down..

Quick Reply: DIY Transmission Fluid Change