Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Scratched/Gashed Dashboard Plastic: Repair Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 07:24 PM
Scratched/Gashed Dashboard Plastic: Repair Ideas?

So,

I'm an idiot.

I was removing the stock stereo and in the absence of proper tools used a thin flat-head to help remove the stock stereo when I upgraded to an after-market deck. This left some small gashes and scratches along the actual dashboard a few spots on the seam that borders the Metra kit I got from Crutchfield.

New deck is in but I have fixated on the blemishes I've left on my dashboard (I can add pics later).

Anyone have some creative ideas to cover-up or repair small gashes on the vulnerable plastic dashboard?

Ideas so far:
Mount a dashboard light, as an alternative to the DIY map-lights, over the heavier damage
Same as above but a cel/iphone holder
Run wire and mount it along the seem. (wire to what? I don't know - - nav system that I don't own?)

Old 07-15-2008, 09:44 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
How about one of these:

You can mount it on the air vent! It would be nice if one of our wonderful vendors could sell a nice carbon fiber overlay for this area and it would be the perfect fix for you. Hope you can work something out so you can
enjoy your new sounds.

Cat

Old 07-15-2008, 11:46 PM
Contact your local dealer for the name and phone number of who they use to repair damaged dashboards for their in-stock vehicles. I had a so-called professional install my aftermarket stereo. They totally botched it! I had the same damage you describe here. The dealer referred me to their guy who promptly repaired and paint matched my dash to factory new. Sorry, I don't know what he charged as the butchers at the stereo shop covered the bill.

Old 07-16-2008, 12:08 AM
I don't know about a gouge, but flat black spray paint was a perfect match for the plastic just below my dash vents.

I had an air freshener there that leaked and discolored the plastic.

Old 07-16-2008, 12:32 PM
Originally Posted by bryanback
I'm leaving mine all gashed up and gnarly. It'll be a permanent reminder to not be stupid and assume that between two sets of instructions, one would have the information necessary to remove the head unit.
QFT.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll email the guy at the dealership who helped me get my fit - /faceslap for not thinking of it sooner.

I have some pics at home I can post later - if I'm able to track down a useful product I'll post a bunch of DIY shots, etc.

Anybody sticky up their dash with decals or anything? I just ordered a JDM armrest and the Mugen shift knob that comes with the "Don't Shift Miss" badge - thought that might work alright for part of it.

I even thought of grabbing a black or cf honda emblem to tack on there!

Old 07-16-2008, 12:42 PM
repair info!

Originally Posted by hardac
I have some pics at home I can post later - if I'm able to track down a useful product I'll post a bunch of DIY shots, etc.
Any info or products from successful repairers would be helpful. Dings, dents and "issues" happen when the car gets used. Plastic won't heal itself. I'd appreciate any success stories and strategies!

Old 07-16-2008, 01:23 PM
5 Year Member
Just posted this in another thread, but get yourself a big box of crayons and find the closest match. Wax pencils are what is used to fix plastic laminate flooring, so cant see why it would not work for this also. Cheap thing to at least try out.

Old 07-16-2008, 01:56 PM
heat?

I'm a little worried about crayons or wax pencils. In the summer the black interiored fit gets very hot! There are no perfect CHEAP answers I guess.

Old 07-16-2008, 03:04 PM
5 Year Member
Well one way to test it, put a crayon in a ziplock bag, and leave it in there on a nice hot day. I can try that out and report back, my daughter wont miss 1 of her 10000000 crayons that are all over the place lol!

Old 07-17-2008, 02:09 AM
here's a link to two pics (rather large, 56k death probably) that kinda show what I've got.

ImageShack - Hosting :: dscn0696yi5.jpg

ImageShack - Hosting :: dscn0697tt8.jpg

Old 07-17-2008, 11:35 AM
The only way to fix this damage is by calling a professional dash repair guy. Unfortunately, the dash kit must be removed to gain access to the damaged edges. No short cuts here. Plain and simple...Besides, you see it every time you drive your car. That's not something I'd want to see on a daily basis.

Old 10-07-2009, 04:27 AM
I have an idea... Coz my Honda Fit GE has some pry marks done by audio installer inside my upper glove compartment where they used a screwdriver to pry up the HU faceplate... What a good job... I m thinking of removing the excess/edge with sharp razor knife and then apply a good amount of epoxy... Leave it to dry up... Den sand it to smooth finish... Den spray some flat black paint of which is the close match to my dashboard colour... Is this idea ok?