Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Constant speed "stutter"

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 08:22 PM
....To me, the highlight of the car is definitely the new engine. The previous MINI Cooper used a Tritec engine designed almost entirely by Chrysler (and used in the European Chrysler/Dodge Neon as well as the Chery A160), and the MINI Cooper S used a supercharged version of the engine. The new MINI Cooper will use a new engine developed by BMW together with PSA Peugeot Citroen. The new BMW-PSA 1.6 liter engine features BMW’s fully variable valve control technology – VALVETRONIC. Intake lift and opening times are fully adjustable by the ECU, and this system also eliminates the need for a throttle butterfly. In addition to that, the outlet valves have variable valve opening timing.

...Read the story here!

BMW unveils 2nd gen MINI Cooper

Marko!

Old 11-05-2010, 07:22 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DOHCtor
...MSD ignition coil listed for a Neon \ SRT, Eclipse, and... mini!!

https://optionsauto.com/prodinfo.asp?number=MSD-8229

... a Neon engine...

http://www.allpar.com/neon/images/neon-sxt-engine.jpg

...a mini engine... (...not so stock...)

http://image.eurotuner.com/f/8404288/eurp_0712_05_z+fireballed_2005_mini_cooper_s+engin e_view_mad_mod_head_garrett_gt3071r_turbo_75_mm_th rottle_body_hks_blow_off_valve.jpg

...a quote from wikipedia...

In 1997, Chrysler Corporation and Rover Group (then a subsidiary of BMW) formed Tritec, a joint venture to design a new small straight-4 engine for small cars. They built a factory in Campo Largo of Curitiba, Brazil to manufacture the engine. When BMW sold Rover Group, BMW retained the stake in Tritec.
It is also called the Pentagon engine. Production began in September 1999.
It is a modern engine with an SOHC 16-valve head, electronic throttle control, and meets Euro III emissions requirements. There are three versions of the engine, 1.4 L, 1.6 L, and supercharged 1.6 L.

....marko!!

...no offence buddy!!

You forgot the rest of the article, hardly a glowing report. And pretty much what I heard from BMW contacts.:

BMW complained about the performance of the engine. According to Ward's Auto, Erich Sonntag of BMW described the Tritec engine as old fashioned and not very effective on function, performance and fuel efficiency.[1] BMW has replaced this engine in the MINI with the new Prince engine family developed in partnership with PSA Peugeot Citroën, since Chrysler was a part of their rival DaimlerChrysler. BMW's contract with Tritec expired in 2007 and it terminated the joint venture with DaimlerChrysler in July. DaimlerChrysler passed on the engine factory to the Chrysler group when the two split up and Chrysler was sold off later in 2007.[2]
In February 2006, the Chinese auto company Lifan bid to purchase the factory after 2007, when the current Tritec engine is no longer needed by BMW and Chrysler. Lifan's plan calls for moving factory tooling to China where it would produce a derivative of the Tritec engine by 2008. These engines would then be used by Lifan to begin an automobile export business to Europe and North America.

No offense taken; its all bench racing conversation. Perhaps the Chinese can improve the Tritec engine.

Old 11-05-2010, 07:55 AM
5 Year Member
The GD3 I have sometimes when I start it up the engine light comes on and the 1st gear when taking off barly moves. I shut it down and restart and it's ok, the light stays on for a few more starts and then it goes off. ?????????

Old 11-05-2010, 07:33 PM
Originally Posted by mahout
You forgot the rest of the article, hardly a glowing report. And pretty much what I heard from BMW contacts.:

BMW complained about the performance of the engine. According to Ward's Auto, Erich Sonntag of BMW described the Tritec engine as old fashioned and not very effective on function, performance and fuel efficiency.[1] BMW has replaced this engine in the MINI with the new Prince engine family developed in partnership with PSA Peugeot Citroën, since Chrysler was a part of their rival DaimlerChrysler. BMW's contract with Tritec expired in 2007 and it terminated the joint venture with DaimlerChrysler in July. DaimlerChrysler passed on the engine factory to the Chrysler group when the two split up and Chrysler was sold off later in 2007.[2]
In February 2006, the Chinese auto company Lifan bid to purchase the factory after 2007, when the current Tritec engine is no longer needed by BMW and Chrysler. Lifan's plan calls for moving factory tooling to China where it would produce a derivative of the Tritec engine by 2008. These engines would then be used by Lifan to begin an automobile export business to Europe and North America.

No offense taken; its all bench racing conversation. Perhaps the Chinese can improve the Tritec engine.
It's old fashioned for sure, the tritec engine is based on the Neon engine that is itself based on the old 2.2, 2.5l OHC engine from a Reliant K, and that engine is probably based on something else very old like a straight 6 or something... Considering it's origins, i think the tritec engine (Or Neon SRT-4 for that matter) is not that bad at all! BMW says it's ''not very effective''... any engine made from a blank sheet will be more effective nowadays so the comment is almost irrelevant.... It's like if i say that i can run faster and longer then my 58 years old dad!! That's evident....

Marko!!

Last edited by DOHCtor; 11-24-2010 at 12:32 PM.
Old 11-24-2010, 09:20 AM
5 Year Member
hmm im wondering if i have a bad coil pack. just from scanning through the thread i have a strange issue. My issue is that i get like a stutter when pressing the gas pedal a little harder. I have the Electronic Throttle Controller and it shows me how hard im pressing the throttle until it stutters and its around 40-50% gas pedal that i will feel this stutter. My car starts and idles fine as far as i can tell. Nothing different about it. I'm at 97k right now and im thinking this is the problem but not sure. I was kind of feeling like it was my clutch for some reason i guess because my clutch needs to be replaced soon but it hasnt been slipping at all and this doesnt feel like a slipping clutch. Help Me!!

Old 11-24-2010, 10:29 AM
5 Year Member
At what RPM and which gear is your problem showing up? 96000 miles and not having to replace the coils is pretty good compared to what those that have had to have gotten out of theirs.... If the spark plugs are looking good it may be time for coil pack replacement.....

Old 11-24-2010, 11:20 AM
5 Year Member
....Dave Coleman at (RIP) Sport Compact Car told it...

Project MINI Cooper S - Project Cars - Sport Compact Car Magazine

Go check under the dyno chart before whinning....

Marko!!

Go read the account of BMW finding the original design 'inadequate' and redesigned the engine.

Old 11-24-2010, 12:18 PM
Originally Posted by mahout
Go read the account of BMW finding the original design 'inadequate' and redesigned the engine.
Read 5 posts higher.....

Marko!

Old 11-24-2010, 12:22 PM
Originally Posted by FitVic
hmm im wondering if i have a bad coil pack. just from scanning through the thread i have a strange issue. My issue is that i get like a stutter when pressing the gas pedal a little harder. I have the Electronic Throttle Controller and it shows me how hard im pressing the throttle until it stutters and its around 40-50% gas pedal that i will feel this stutter. My car starts and idles fine as far as i can tell. Nothing different about it. I'm at 97k right now and im thinking this is the problem but not sure. I was kind of feeling like it was my clutch for some reason i guess because my clutch needs to be replaced soon but it hasnt been slipping at all and this doesnt feel like a slipping clutch. Help Me!!
Maybe it's time to adjust your valves! I had a ''Miss'' but it appeared when the engine was hot and idling... I knew something was wrong because i could hear backfires thru the exhaust. I adjusted my valves and installed brand new NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs and now it's better then new!! eheheh Fuel economy made an impressive jump also...

Marko!!

Old 11-24-2010, 12:27 PM
5 Year Member
Maybe it's time to adjust your valves! I had a ''Miss'' but it appeared when the engine was hot and idling... I knew something was wrong because i could hear backfires thru the exhaust. I adjusted my valves and installed brand new NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs and now it's better then new!! eheheh Fuel economy made an impressive jump also...

Marko!!
You might be right because i do hear some backfire a little bit. I got my valves adjusted once already but i cannot remember the milage i got it done at. I will have to call my mechanic and see when it was done. You could be right. I need a tune up too lol well soon that is.

Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
At what RPM and which gear is your problem showing up? 96000 miles and not having to replace the coils is pretty good compared to what those that have had to have gotten out of theirs.... If the spark plugs are looking good it may be time for coil pack replacement.....
eh... i wasnt paying attention to what RPM it happens on but its on every gear.

Old 11-24-2010, 12:47 PM
5 Year Member
just called my mechanic and they did the "adjusting valve" job at 84k and im at 97k now and this is happening.

Old 11-25-2010, 01:18 PM
5 Year Member
You have a bad coil packs. Change it. Even if your dealer says there is no code... Change it.

Old 11-25-2010, 07:21 PM
5 Year Member
yeah thinking this is gonna be the scenario. Change my coilpacks. It normally happens under 3k RPM. I read somewhere that someone had the same problem. Monday is the day....

Old 11-30-2010, 06:56 PM
5 Year Member
Fit Sputters and Misses

I want to thank everyone who posted in this thread. I was suspicious that this problem was a common one as I have owned two Honda Fits. One 2007 Sport AT and one 2008 Sport AT. After a little more than a year I traded my 2007 in for a 2008. At the time of trade-in, I had about 44000 miles on my 2007. I also had been experiencing the stutter problem that probably began at around 35,000 miles? (I don't remember exactly.) At the time, I didn't think much of it because it was rather intermittent and felt more like a problematic plug or something. I would have spent more time looking into it had I not traded the car in for the newer 2008 model.

My 2008 model has been sputtering ever since about 30,000 miles. I remember the number more accurately because the car was still under the full warranty and I made it a point to take it in to the dealership to fix it before the warranty ran out.

The service department story is much the same as has been already told by others on this thread. They couldn't find anything wrong... in fact... they told me the car was running like a champ. Really? So I'm just imagining this sputtering in my head??!!

Shortly thereafter, my wife and I took a road trip from NC to California and frequently noticed the sputter. I was frustrated to say the least but, at the time, I couldn't find much on the Internet of others complaining about this problem... so I just tolerated it.... and have been for some time now.

My fit now has about 77,000 miles on it and it has stalled on me twice... with a couple of other near-stalls. The problem is still intermittent and with my recent lay off at work... I'm not taking it in to the shop to get diagnosed... figuring I could do the research myself. Thanks to this thread... I think I have much better answers that I would have received in the shop AND at a much better price... so thanks again!!!

I would also like to add my voice to anyone who might be motivated to start a class action suit on this issue... if Honda is trying to sweep this under the rug... we might need to step up the pressure a notch to get noticed and get this issue addressed permanently. If a class action case gets launched... consider me on board.

Old 12-05-2010, 12:32 AM
A little dumbfounded, but grateful

I had no idea what I got myself into two days ago after purchasing an '07 Fit Sport AT with over 105k miles. I certainly didn't consider a warranty after reading so many good things about the Fit. Though I didn't start to feel the stutter until after the purchase was made. So, after having read this forum, I too would like to thank many of you who have contributed so much time and effort in bringing a solution to this problem. I feel like I can get what seems to be the same problem fixed on my Fit - even though the only car repair experience I have is none.
It certainly seems that this is a big issue, but not big enough for Honda to take any responsibility for - except for a few local dealerships. So I'll search around for a place that might know a little something about replacing coilpacks or adjusting valve clearance on a Honda Fit and keep you all posted.

Old 12-07-2010, 03:25 PM
Checking in here because I've got the stutter. First, thanks everyone for posting your outcomes and saving some of us some $$$ in diagnostic fees. It was fun to see all the problems I've had come up in series as I read through, like my own personal repair history.

A few months ago, my '07 AT Sport started to bog when cold, and sometimes stalled when I came to a hard stop soon after starting the car. The dealer found that the exhaust valves were not opening correctly, readjusted them, and the car started running beautifully, with more low-end power and no stalling. Soon after, I got a CEL, took it in, and the dealer replaced the cat for no charge. I suspect the maladjusted valves caused the cat to fail prematurely. Now, I feel the engine stutter to various degrees of severity, usually when I'm gradually accelerating after a stop sign, or when I add a bit of pedal on a shallow highway grade to keep the speed up. It happens at idle, too, but much less frequently. No CEL yet, but after reading the thread, I think it's inevitable. My MPG seems to be reduced, too, but that could just be the cold weather.

Looks like it's $300 at Majestic Honda for a set of coil packs and plugs. Well, they made it to 83000 miles of hard stop-and-go, so I don't feel too bad, and at least it's something I can do myself without much trouble. I thought maybe I could just change the bad one(s) and save some money, but all new packs (and plugs while I'm at it) are the safest and easiest bet. I'll check back in with an update after I change them out.

Old 12-26-2010, 03:51 AM
welcome me to the hiccups club!

hey everyone. i have an 07 fit sport AT, purchased 10/2006, with just over 78K miles on it. i just started experiencing the stuttering a few days ago... i mostly feel it stopped at red lights / starting from idle and occasionally at around 60mph. it started right after highway & street driving it for a few hours in the recent LA storms...wonder if the flooded streets have anything to do with this? after reading through this entire string (thanks everyone for diligently reporting their results!), i'm likely going to go for diagnostics / coils.

can anyone recommend a shop that they've had success with in the SoCal area?? i'm willing to drive to get to someone who's familiar with this issue.

thanks again!!!

Last edited by tbonemeli; 12-26-2010 at 03:57 AM.
Old 12-29-2010, 05:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by tbonemeli
hey everyone. i have an 07 fit sport AT, purchased 10/2006, with just over 78K miles on it. i just started experiencing the stuttering a few days ago... i mostly feel it stopped at red lights / starting from idle and occasionally at around 60mph. it started right after highway & street driving it for a few hours in the recent LA storms...wonder if the flooded streets have anything to do with this? after reading through this entire string (thanks everyone for diligently reporting their results!), i'm likely going to go for diagnostics / coils.

can anyone recommend a shop that they've had success with in the SoCal area?? i'm willing to drive to get to someone who's familiar with this issue.

thanks again!!!
Has you must have read in previous
outcome, it's very easy to replace the coils your self. You just have to order them from Bernardi for example, and replace the four coils. It should take you 15 minutes.

Good luck.

Old 12-30-2010, 12:35 AM
while i'm happy to do my own oil changes, i am a little hesitant about coil packs..foreign territory. but i'll def look into bernardi...my trusted shop guy says they're $90 each, but don't think he's checked online. thanks!

Old 12-30-2010, 01:37 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by tbonemeli
while i'm happy to do my own oil changes, i am a little hesitant about coil packs..foreign territory. but i'll def look into bernardi...my trusted shop guy says they're $90 each, but don't think he's checked online. thanks!
You need to trust your self and do it to it.... You can change your spark plugs at the same time. If you look up the parts at Bernardi Honda or Majestic Honda you will see a diagram of where they fit and what you would save by getting the parts on line will pay for a decent tool kit to do it with if you don't have them... The labor cost you save and the satisfaction of doing it yourself will put a big smile on your face.... Like this....

Quick Reply: Constant speed "stutter"