Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Constant speed "stutter"

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 07:02 PM
My 08 Fit Sport Auto has been doing the hicup thing for about a month now. I tried the pour in gas line stuff and use 91 gas. Still hiccups when I am going a consistent speed. If I speed up or slow down it is fine. I only have about 4K on mine. QUESTION: Should I take it to my dealer and have them check the coil pack or whatever needs to be checked? I put a super sucker air intake on it about 6 month ago and an axleback Magnaflow street muffler. Sounds great. A little louder than I thought it would be but it is OK. Will the dealer tell me the problem is due to the mods and will not be covered? I have the extended full warranty. It was running just fine with the "mods" up until about a month ago. Should I take the mods off go to the dealer to get the hiccups fixed and then put them back on again? Thanks for all the post on this. I need feedback. It is driving me nuts (no pun intended) Thanks

Old 03-06-2009, 07:38 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Jaime
My 08 Fit Sport Auto has been doing the hicup thing for about a month now. I tried the pour in gas line stuff and use 91 gas. Still hiccups when I am going a consistent speed. If I speed up or slow down it is fine. I only have about 4K on mine. QUESTION: Should I take it to my dealer and have them check the coil pack or whatever needs to be checked? I put a super sucker air intake on it about 6 month ago and an axleback Magnaflow street muffler. Sounds great. A little louder than I thought it would be but it is OK. Will the dealer tell me the problem is due to the mods and will not be covered? I have the extended full warranty. It was running just fine with the "mods" up until about a month ago. Should I take the mods off go to the dealer to get the hiccups fixed and then put them back on again? Thanks for all the post on this. I need feedback. It is driving me nuts (no pun intended) Thanks

Depends on the dealer. To be certain you get served instead of serviced replace the mods with the stock stuff to see if the stutter is still there. By now Honda should be issuing service alerts to dealers based on the number of posters here.

Old 03-07-2009, 08:35 PM
I think I lost the message I started. Anyway, Super Sucker air intake mod off . OEM (with K&N filter) back on and my Fit still has the hiccups. Taking to dealer on Tuesday. They said they never heard of what I was talking about so It will probably be a challenge to get it fixed right the first time. I am leaving mod off and staying with OEM with K & N . Seems about the same with a lot less noise. I can hear my axel back Magnaflow street II muffler now! I will let people know the results of my dealer trying to fix the problem. They are great to work with so hope they are good at this kind of thing.

Old 03-07-2009, 08:55 PM
Fit Hiccups

Thanks Mahout, I took the Super Sucker air intake off and went back to OEM with K & N filter. After I drove about 10 town miles the hiccups are still there. I took it my dealer and have an appointment Tuesday to get it fixed. They acted like they never heard of such thing so this will be interesting to see how long it takes, how many trips there to get it taken care of. I think I will stay with the OEM equipment with K&N filter as it seems to perform about the same with a LOT less noise

Old 03-07-2009, 09:47 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks Mahout, I took the Super Sucker air intake off and went back to OEM with K & N filter. After I drove about 10 town miles the hiccups are still there. I took it my dealer and have an appointment Tuesday to get it fixed. They acted like they never heard of such thing so this will be interesting to see how long it takes, how many trips there to get it taken care of. I think I will stay with the OEM equipment with K&N filter as it seems to perform about the same with a LOT less noise
I'd highly recommend you get the dealership to change out the coil packs or test them for consistency in voltage. I'm sure urs is failing. but at 4000miles, that's really early. Mine failed at 58000 miles.

Old 03-08-2009, 06:01 PM
KoolKevin,

I still have not replaced my coil packs yet as I am waiting for them to show more wear......., something you mentioned a while back regarding deterioration of the stutter, oddly I have had this for over a year now, but it is pretty consistent and I have not seen any deterioration or increase in frequency of occurrence.
Also, I just got back from a long ski trip, i put Shell Vpower gas and the car did not stutter once during the 1000 mile trip,, got back into town and is starting to slightly stutter here and there, its odd to me that the stutter at least in my case is not deteriorating at all, pretty constant about 5 to 10 times every weekday trip (~ 20 miles) and almost no stutters on longer trips..
How is your car holding up after the fix?..

Old 03-10-2009, 06:24 PM
I took my Fit Sport into my dealer today and didn't hear from them all day so called and was told by service guy that the wires to the coil were loose because I disconnected them to put a Spoon Coil sock on it and did not connect the plug in back all the way. He said that will be $170.00 dollars. I have not gone to pickup my car but I am very supicious as I told service guy 2 times to check the coil and he rambled on about all these test he had to run. If my TV, etc. doesn't work I check to see if it is plugged in. I don't not run $170.00 worth of test on it and then check to see if it is plugged in. Also, it was about 6 month ago that I put the "sock' over the coil and had the oil changed at the dealership 2000 miles ago and I was not having any hiccup problems with it or Iwould have had it checked with my oil change. They never said anything about having a coil sock being bad because the coil gets too hot. (The place to pour in the oil is about 3 inches from the allegedly naught sock and "loose wire.") Seems to me if it was loose for 6 month why would my Fit start to have the Hiccups about one month ago? The connector looks like it is eaither plugged in or not. Would there not be other problems over 6 month if it was not plugged in to the coil? Whats wrong with this picture? If I have to pay $170.00 to get my car I am certainly writting a letter to the manager and owner of the dealeship. Service guy was kind of rude from start to finish. Gee, I thought I was at a Honda dealership called Williamson Honda of Lincoln NE where I have bought cars for years not a one time stop to some kid down the block. The one time stop to the kid down the block would have plugged it in (if that was indeed the problem) and I would give him a $10.00 tip and recommended him to other people. I guess we have to to beware of Honda serice people now too.

Old 03-10-2009, 06:29 PM
5 Year Member
Are u seroius? they are charing you THAT MUCH for only checking the car? But i thought ur car was still under warranty? Our dealerships down there charge $70 for a diagnostic test, but damn i think that's wayyyyy overpriced. I wouldn't talk to him, i would talk to the general manager about that. Tell them that a sock has NO way affected the coil packs from going bad and a connection come loose. It shouldn't get hot with the stock headers, it might get warmer by aftermarket headers b/c there is no heat shield. Something is fishy.

I took my Fit Sport into my dealer today and didn't hear from them all day so called and was told by service guy that the wires to the coil were loose because I disconnected them to put a Spoon Coil sock on it and did not connect the plug in back all the way. He said that will be $170.00 dollars. I have not gone to pickup my car but I am very supicious as I told service guy 2 times to check the coil and he rambled on about all these test he had to run. If my TV, etc. doesn't work I check to see if it is plugged in. I don't not run $170.00 worth of test on it and then check to see if it is plugged in. Also, it was about 6 month ago that I put the "sock' over the coil and had the oil changed at the dealership 2000 miles ago and I was not having any hiccup problems with it or Iwould have had it checked with my oil change. They never said anything about having a coil sock being bad because the coil gets too hot. (The place to pour in the oil is about 3 inches from the allegedly naught sock and "loose wire.") Seems to me if it was loose for 6 month why would my Fit start to have the Hiccups about one month ago? The connector looks like it is eaither plugged in or not. Would there not be other problems over 6 month if it was not plugged in to the coil? Whats wrong with this picture? If I have to pay $170.00 to get my car I am certainly writting a letter to the manager and owner of the dealeship. Service guy was kind of rude from start to finish. Gee, I thought I was at a Honda dealership called Williamson Honda of Lincoln NE where I have bought cars for years not a one time stop to some kid down the block. The one time stop to the kid down the block would have plugged it in (if that was indeed the problem) and I would give him a $10.00 tip and recommended him to other people. I guess we have to to beware of Honda serice people now too.

Old 03-10-2009, 06:39 PM
Service guy said it wqas error because it was not plugged in all the way. No warranty coverag. send me you name & address and i will try to send the SS this weekend. I don't really need anything for it. I would put it back on but it is a bit noisey for me and it is a little hard to change out to OEM when I go to dealer as I am a wheelchair guy with 40 years of working on cars but not good at any one particular thing. Past hobbies: Custom work, OK, flat head hot rod OK, 57 chev hardtop with 327 fuel injected 395 horse, 3/4 race cam and T10 truck clutch, yes but a coil wire.? HA

Old 03-10-2009, 07:54 PM
5 Year Member
my 2 cents but i would NEVER trust the dealer. i have talked to a couple in my area in attempts to get work done on my car and never once have i felt they are competent enough to touch my car. and i def do not trust their work ethics, especially in the hard times we are all facing now. if you have a dealer where you know somebody and trust them, good for you. average joe, dont even bother unless you know its under warranty, its not worth the effort and the battle. my fit has not once seen the dealership mechanics in 2 years. i take my car to a shop i know and trust.

goodluck with your issue.

Old 03-10-2009, 07:58 PM
5 Year Member
also i just read a little more. thats crazy for a place to charge just to tell you whats wrong!

i have NEVER had that issue with my shop. no matter what the issue there is no charge for me until they KNOW what is wrong. then if i decide to fix it they will do it, but if i say no, i get my car and leave the shop, no charge. if they drove to your house to tell you what was wrong i would understand, but taking it to them, they shouldnt charge until they know.

Old 03-11-2009, 07:39 PM
Fit Stutter/hiccup saga

thanks kancerr, I went in today to pay the bill and get my car. They told me they would not charge me but I was not welcome in their dealership again because I complained. I have purchased vehicles from them for over 25 years. Spread the word Williamson Honda in lincoln NE SUCKS! My complaining has only begun. What good is a 7 year super dooper warranty, I pay for monthly,with all the bells and whistles good for if I have to drive 100 miles if i need warranty work? Toyota anyone!!!

Old 03-13-2009, 12:57 PM
5 Year Member
Anyone with a 2009 having this same problem yet?

Old 04-01-2009, 10:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by lap49
Anyone with a 2009 having this same problem yet?
bump for answer...

Old 04-02-2009, 06:35 PM
5 Year Member
Are Coil Packs difficult to replace? Where are they located?
Many thanks

Old 04-02-2009, 08:40 PM
If you have problems with your Fit do NOT take it to WILLAIMSON HONDA in Lincoln NE! I am working with the BBB and national headquarters on the way they treated me.

Old 05-04-2009, 02:24 PM
check with the other post near the beginning of this forum. This has never happed to me on other Hondas at all. There may be a database entry with Honda America. They acted like this was the first time they ever heard of the problem: lol!
But the gentle lady at the other end did take down my VIN and asked questions, took my address telephone number etc.
The more we act like the squeaky wheel: then we will be greased!

Old 05-04-2009, 02:27 PM
sorry about this:

Took my SSI off since it broke around the outlet at the engine throttle body. Inspect regularly so you won't become surprised. I just sent off for a K&N performance intake.
I don't think the muffler has any effect or shouldn't. But the Fit computer is a bit trickey (sensitive) because it did not like it when I put a locking gas cap on it... it continuously threw out the check engine light which when checked was the 'loose gas cap' code. I put on an Element which fits much tighter but...

Last edited by docjim2; 05-04-2009 at 02:30 PM.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:33 PM
I think I lost the message I started. Anyway, Super Sucker air intake mod off . OEM (with K&N filter) back on and my Fit still has the hiccups. Taking to dealer on Tuesday. They said they never heard of what I was talking about so It will probably be a challenge to get it fixed right the first time. I am leaving mod off and staying with OEM with K & N . Seems about the same with a lot less noise. I can hear my axel back Magnaflow street II muffler now! I will let people know the results of my dealer trying to fix the problem. They are great to work with so hope they are good at this kind of thing.
jaime: I have done the same thing with no result. Is your SSI still in one piece: look for stress fractures and cracks before you put it back on.

Old 05-04-2009, 02:36 PM
Originally Posted by koolkevin1107
I'd highly recommend you get the dealership to change out the coil packs or test them for consistency in voltage. I'm sure urs is failing. but at 4000miles, that's really early. Mine failed at 58000 miles.
My Accord still has original. I would have thunk that the Fit would easily last as long: 88000 mi and climbing.
CALL HONDA AMERICA and let them know. The more that call the better off we all are.

Quick Reply: Constant speed "stutter"