Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Constant speed "stutter"

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 06:18 PM
5 Year Member
Cat Converter

Originally Posted by rachelizbeth
Anyone had their catalytic converter replaced in response to the stutter? I'm on my 4th visit to the dealership. None of the previous trips helped at all. Now they say the catalytic converter is bad. I mentioned the coils but he said they're fine. If this doesn't work I'm going to insist he change them anyway.

Wish me luck!
Don't discount the cat converter issue. The latest TSB on the Fit relates to a cat converter issue:

10-015
March 23, 2010
Applies To:
2007-08 Fit - ALL

2007-08 Fit: MIL Comes On With DTC P0420
SYMPTOM
The MIL is on, and DIG P0420 (catalyst system efficiency below threshold) is stored.
PROBABLE CAUSE
The ECM/PCM misinterprets engine idle conditions, resulting in inaccurate control of the fuel and ignition.

Old 01-27-2011, 06:26 PM
5 Year Member
changing my spark plugs has thus far eliviated my CEL problem

however the studder/stalling has came back, especially in the morning when the car is cold and i can't sit and warm it up for 5minutes.

my CEL threw a "missfire in cyl 4" code, so i've ordered a new coil pack from bernardi (~$65+shipping) which i'll replace when i receive it.

when doing my spark plugs, i noticed there was an issue with my left most coil pack, as if it didn't fit properly. I could tighten it down alright, but all my other coil packs would leave no gap from the plastic to the engine, this particular one had about 1/2in gap until i put on the nut and tightened it down.

i'll keep the thread posted if this fixes my issue.

Old 02-08-2011, 01:48 AM
5 Year Member
I had a similar issue on my 07 sport where it would stutter around 60-65mph & once I changed my fouled spark plugs it worked like magic

Old 03-17-2011, 02:21 PM
I have a 2007 fit that I bought new in the spring of 06. My fit has stuttered for the last few years. The stutter comes and goes. Honda has not been able to duplicate the problem so they tell me there is no problem. The stutter can go on for days or I can have a week with smooth no stutter driving. The engin light comes on once in a while while driving on the freeway. It comes on, then the fit seems like it wants to stall the the light goes off and the stall stops and the car has power again. The stutter does not clear up after this. The stutter seems to have a mind of it's own. After 50,000 miles of this stutter I have not been able to conect it with any one thing, like driving at highway speeds, or with the A/c on, or anything else???
I can say that I only have the false stalling when the car stutters. But stuttering does not guarantee the engin will try to stall. Also, I have tried to pass a car on the freeway while the car is stuttering. The enging light come on when I try to pass. The car trys to stall and I have to drop back and abort the pass.

I just filed a report with the National Traffic Safety Administration.
This is where you go to ask that a recall be made. There is no guarantee that it will happen but the chances get better with every report made. Please call them with you stutter issue and lets at least try to get a re call going.
you can call in a report at 888-327-4236

Old 03-17-2011, 06:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by justdriving
I had the same issue last fall @ 115 k. Took it to the dealer- he replaced the spark plugs which they told me the car did not agree with ?(i had Bosch Iridium in there for 15k w/ no other problems) and one coil pack. The Fit continued to have stutter issues- I ordered 3 more Coil Packs and installed them myself- 10mm socket, a packet of dielectric grease and 15 minutes. The third coil pack from the left was very discolored- pinkish brown- which i feel may have been the bad one. I now have 140 k and have not had a stutter issue since replacing all the coils- $350 if you do it yourself. Hope this helps
Update: I now have 158k on the odometer and no stutter since replacing the coil packs at 115k.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:40 PM
thanks guys,
I am taking it into Honda next wednesday. The service manager said that he would test it for free (LOL). Just because he is courious about it.

If he can not find the trouble (I)will change out the coils, If that doesn't work, I will look at the fule pump, spark plugs ,throttle position sensor,and or head ajustments. wish me luck

Old 03-17-2011, 09:26 PM
.....spark plugs would be less expensive first....

MArko!

Old 03-17-2011, 10:27 PM
Thanks Marko,
I have hated this car from day 1. I have downright ignored the stutter for the last 50,000 miles. I was ready to take the car out to the desert and shoot it. I have put little money into the beast after I could not fix the stutter. It is about time I put some money into if I want to keep it another year or trade up to something I might like better.

Old 03-18-2011, 05:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by workunit
I have a 2007 fit that I bought new in the spring of 06. My fit has stuttered for the last few years. The stutter comes and goes. Honda has not been able to duplicate the problem so they tell me there is no problem. The stutter can go on for days or I can have a week with smooth no stutter driving. The engin light comes on once in a while while driving on the freeway. It comes on, then the fit seems like it wants to stall the the light goes off and the stall stops and the car has power again. The stutter does not clear up after this. The stutter seems to have a mind of it's own. After 50,000 miles of this stutter I have not been able to conect it with any one thing, like driving at highway speeds, or with the A/c on, or anything else???
I can say that I only have the false stalling when the car stutters. But stuttering does not guarantee the engin will try to stall. Also, I have tried to pass a car on the freeway while the car is stuttering. The enging light come on when I try to pass. The car trys to stall and I have to drop back and abort the pass.

I just filed a report with the National Traffic Safety Administration.
This is where you go to ask that a recall be made. There is no guarantee that it will happen but the chances get better with every report made. Please call them with you stutter issue and lets at least try to get a re call going.
you can call in a report at 888-327-4236

Have you put an OBD code reader on your Fit when the stutter occurs ?
If the stutter comes and goes, did you takje it to a dealer when it stuttered Filing a notice with NTSA is a waste of time. They wiull ask you those qestions and negative answers means you haven;'t lived up to your job as ownewr of a US vehicle.
Did you not check the literally dozens of posts on correcting the stutter issue ?

Old 03-18-2011, 07:19 PM
Go back and read my post rather than acting the big shot. Do you work for honda?

Old 03-18-2011, 07:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DOHCtor
.....spark plugs would be less expensive first....

MArko!
didn't work for me and many others.

the thing that DID work for me was getting my valves adjusted back to NORMAL! feels like a big weight lifted off my shoulders

Old 03-18-2011, 07:27 PM
5 Year Member
and workunit, it cost me $125 and i live in CA (usually more expensive) for the valve adjustment

just make sure to find a good mechanic to do it. mine thought it would be a waste of $125 and not fix anything, but our little fits need valve adjustments just like motorycles.

Old 03-18-2011, 07:39 PM
Thanks Kenmei
That is my plan right now. Honda will run their test nevt wednesday. The fit stutters more now than the last time they looked at it , so I hope they can see it in action.
I also live in Ca. I live in LA during the week, work in burbank and I spend most weekends in the high desert out near Joshua Tree. Can I ask where you have your fit serviced.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:19 PM
Yep, I've got the same problem with a 2007 standard auto.

Started at about 95,000, and I got a B14 reading on maintenance which says "change spark plugs and check valves".

I'll do that first, but I suspect it'll be a coil problem.

Another weakness of the car, like the early bearing problem I had.

Anybody try the $20 ones I found at

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...1751058-696788

Or should I be suspicious (or is it the wrong part?)?

Last edited by FSchmertz; 03-24-2011 at 09:22 PM.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:07 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by workunit
Thanks Kenmei
That is my plan right now. Honda will run their test nevt wednesday. The fit stutters more now than the last time they looked at it , so I hope they can see it in action.
I also live in Ca. I live in LA during the week, work in burbank and I spend most weekends in the high desert out near Joshua Tree. Can I ask where you have your fit serviced.

sorry I live in northern california.

def. have honda check the coil packs first, but a valve adjustment couldn;t hurt (if needed)

Old 04-09-2011, 12:21 PM
5 Year Member
so the final resolution is to change the coil pack?? n plugs???

Old 04-10-2011, 11:57 PM
Originally Posted by FSchmertz
Yep, I've got the same problem with a 2007 standard auto.

Started at about 95,000, and I got a B14 reading on maintenance which says "change spark plugs and check valves".

I'll do that first, but I suspect it'll be a coil problem.

Another weakness of the car, like the early bearing problem I had.

Anybody try the $20 ones I found at

RockAuto Parts Catalog

Or should I be suspicious (or is it the wrong part?)?
Just ordered four of these, I'll let folks know how it goes. I can't believe they're ~$20, Honda charges that much for the plugs!

Old 04-13-2011, 11:30 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FSchmertz
Just ordered four of these, I'll let folks know how it goes. I can't believe they're ~$20, Honda charges that much for the plugs!
This changes the boots only and not the entire coil. Please let us know if this fixes the issues. If it does, I'll go this route as well.

I have the same symptoms as most everyone else: 07 Sport AT

Old 04-14-2011, 07:04 PM
Originally Posted by dasboot
This changes the boots only and not the entire coil. Please let us know if this fixes the issues. If it does, I'll go this route as well.

I have the same symptoms as most everyone else: 07 Sport AT
Oop, I was hoping someone would warn me, it sounded to good to be true! Fortunately, they have a decent return policy, I'm going to assume I need the coil packs. Is this the correct part?

They call it:

2007 HONDA FIT 1.5L 1497cc L4 FI [L15A1] SOHC : Ignition : Ignition Coil

NOT a COP coil

Help Please!

Oh, and they sell it for $49.79.

Oh, and this is what they sent me:

2007 HONDA FIT 1.5L 1497cc L4 FI [L15A1] SOHC : Ignition : COP Coil Boot

P.S. I'm an idiot for not looking at the spark plug replacement thread first!

Last edited by FSchmertz; 04-14-2011 at 07:38 PM.
Old 04-22-2011, 02:26 PM
Udpdate.

1) Had my spark plugs replaced, the problem got worse!

2) Just replaced all of the coils, car runs like new. It Friggin' Purrs. Didn't realize how rough it was running until today.

3) For my 2007 base Fit, the plugs and coils are in the rear of the engine. Makes for a tight fit doing the replacement, but I'm no mechanic and I managed it in about 1/2 hour.

4) Has anyone gotten a response about this problem from Honda?

5) Is there a "normal" lifespan for Coil-On-Plug, or is it really too new?

6) Note that disconnecting the wiring to the Coils will seem hard if you're an idiot like me, and don't realize you just need to push down on the top of the connector until you hear or feel a click. Then it comes right off!

Last edited by FSchmertz; 04-22-2011 at 02:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Constant speed "stutter"