Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Constant speed "stutter"

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 11:20 AM
I just got my car back from the dealer who promptly replied to my letter about the deception.

The onboard diagnostic test showed cylinder 1 misfiring during a test drive. The MAP (manifold absolute pressure) showed a .1 volt fluctuation, which I was told is a lot.

50 Miles since the valve adjustment and the car has been running perfectly thus far. I'll keep the coil packs in mind should the problem re-arise. Thanks to this forum.

Old 01-15-2012, 06:08 PM
5 Year Member
A (hopefully) final update:

A set of Beck-Arnley coils came in the mail and I installed them today. I opted for the Beck-Arnley's because I'm ignorant and cheap. I researched the more expensive coils on the web but none of the reviews or product descriptions said anything to convince me to drop an extra $80 for more expensive coils. There may well be a difference, but I lack the electrical knowledge to make the distinction, and I haven't come across any specific complaints about the Beck-Arnley coils.

Anyway, before I installed the new coils, I tested resistance across the first and second prongs in the upper socket. Each coil measured 1.7k ohms. I couldn't get any reading on resistance between any of the socket prongs and the spark plug terminal (probably not enough juice in my cheap little analog multimeter).

The old coils came out and I measured resistance on those too. Each one came to 1.8k ohms across the first two prongs. (Note: I searched through the Honda Service Manual and found no mention of what the coil specs should be).

I looked closely at the outside of the #2 coil, since the few OBDII codes that were thrown indicated misfires on the #2 cylinder. At first it looked the same as all the others. Then, under bright light, I noticed a sort of rainbow sheen, like an oil slick, just above the spark plug boot, where the neck of the coil narrows into a sort of collar. I thought it might indicate some high-temperatures, perhaps from the spark leaking out of the coil at that spot.

Obviously, I'm no electrical engineer, so it's pure speculation.

Anyway, I put the car through its paces today with the new coils, especially focusing on the problem areas: at stop lights with A/C on, flooring it on freeway on-ramps, and cruising at 60-65 up slight grades. No stuttering.

If the stuttering returns, or if I have any issues with the Beck-Arnley coils, I'll post back here again. Otherwise, it looks as though you can add my car to the list of stuttering Fits that were fixed by replacing coils.

Thanks for all the help, guys.

Old 01-15-2012, 06:52 PM
5 Year Member
Picture would be nice if you could get one.

Originally Posted by MrLucky
Then, under bright light, I noticed a sort of rainbow sheen, like an oil slick, just above the spark plug boot, where the neck of the coil narrows into a sort of collar. I thought it might indicate some high-temperatures, perhaps from the spark leaking out of the coil at that spot.
It would be great if you could post a picture somewhere of the coil with the problem showing the defect. I know that I would be greatly interested since this seems to be a fairly big problem with the Fits. That oil slick may just be the pathway for an electrical signal to be passed.

Old 01-15-2012, 07:23 PM
5 Year Member
Hey, Einstein.

I tried to get a pic of the defect, but it's too subtle for my digital camera. Basically it's a section of the coil's post that is just a bit glossier than the rest of the plastic, and when held in bright light, there is a slight rainbow reflection along the edges of the glossy area.

Old 01-15-2012, 09:45 PM
5 Year Member
Good write up on your update MrLucky...

Old 01-16-2012, 03:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MrLucky
Hey, Einstein.

I tried to get a pic of the defect, but it's too subtle for my digital camera.
I was just wondering about this rainbow area. I've been an engineer for many years and have encountered changes in plastic after high voltage use. They sometimes have the appearance, I believe you're talking about. I have noticed through testing that sometimes these areas become conductive surfaces. I was just trying to piece together a scenario where, if the surface becomes conductive, there may be arcing going on to engine surfaces and occasionally shorting out the spark under different load conditions. This may have nothing to do with it, but with all the problems I've read about on this forum, I was just really curious out this distortion of the surface of the coil pack.

I'm glad the swap seemed to solve your problem. Good luck.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:48 PM
Mine hicups at 2.5 rpms in every gear, and is get more frequent. Many of us are having the same hicups so why can't the dealer fix it?

Old 01-31-2012, 12:01 AM
Hi all, thanks for the informative thread. I took the advice of one of the previous posters and cleaned, lubed and greased my coil packs. All good sofar. number 4 (closet to transmission side) was brown instead of pink/discoloured red aroundt he boot and i thought i was up for at least a replacement but after squirting in plenty of co cleaner, then swabbing some caig deoxit and packing in some dielelectric grease it runs smoother than i've had in the month that ive owned it. The packs were quite dry so must have been arcing badly.

Hope this helps anyone looking for a cheap fix, as far as i can tell you cannot buy aftermarket coilpacks in new zealand.

Old 01-31-2012, 09:55 AM
5 Year Member
That's good to remember when I get the problem.

Old 02-09-2012, 12:38 PM
I'm having the same problem with my 07 sport auto as well =\

Exact same symptoms as described in OP, I've tried the following fixes and I don't know what to do anymore

First time i've brought it to my mechanic, he replaced the spark plugs and the coil on cylinder 2 (the cylinder with the misfire code, I've received CEL w/ code P0302)

Drove fine for the weekend, but the next week, I discovered the same symptoms again, mostly when i'm at a full stop, the engine feels like it's stuttering every once in awhile. One time, the engine completely stopped while i was accelerating, then after 1-2seconds of my foot still on the pedal, the engine picked back up again (stopped as in no revving noise whatsoever). CEL came back on.

I brought it back to the shop and the CEL read P0302 again, cylinder 2 again. So he decided to switch the fuel injectors from cylinder 1 with cylinder 2 to see if that was the problem. Here, we were hoping to see that the injectors were the problem by seeing a misfire code in cylinder 1 instead of 2.

Took it for a whole week, was running perfectly until the engine stuttered WAY more than before at full stops. The CEL popped back up so I plugged in my OBD2 scanner and it read P0302 again, cylinder 2.

So right now I swapped cars with a friend. He's had it for 3 days using it for deliveries and everyday driving, and he has never felt the symptoms at all. Hopefully something shows up but I am all out of ideas as to how to fix this problem.

The main concern I have is that the engine might stop as it did the other time since I drive frequently on the highways (150km~ trip on fridays, another 150km trip on sundays, and everyday drive to work). I'm hoping to get an answer before I spend more money fixing the wrong things

I should note the following:
-Stuttering only occurs when in drive mode, never noticed in neutral
-Usually the stuttering disappears or reduces drastically when I fill up the tank
-I'm in canada so the temperatures are below freezing point
-The symptoms always disappear when I give the car to my mechanic or someone else to check ;_; so i'm quite disappointed that the only proof I have are the misfire codes.
-Odometer reading: 159000 km ~
- I have an aftermarket Intake (PRM Cold air intake)

Last edited by nostic; 02-09-2012 at 01:15 PM.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:03 PM
5 Year Member
UPDATE: it's been about 1.5 years since I've originally experience the stutter and replaced them with OEM plugs. KNOCK ON WOOD, i'm still running good.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:06 PM
Stuttering, missing engine problems

We all try different fixes, while the Honda dealers can't fix the problem. If it dose not set off a sensor then the Honda repair shop can't fix it. that is what my dealship told me.They told me it was my clutch, so they put a 1600.00 clutch in, then they reset the valuves 220.00 , now they said lets TRY a coil job 660.00. I said screw you. call me when you get the fix.I love my Fit but this stuttering is making me look at VWs

Old 02-22-2012, 09:06 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by merkel
so they put a 1600.00 clutch in
Stuttering clutch???

Old 02-22-2012, 09:54 AM
I told the Service Manager that was not the problem. But he thouhgt that it was adding to the problem? even though he dose mot know what the problem is. I have 180,000 miles so a clutch needed to be replaced. But come on, Is there no one that can solve the stuttering of our Fits, or will this peoblem just keep give us fits?

Old 02-26-2012, 03:32 PM
5 Year Member
Can anybody get me a new coil pack for my 1.5 fit?
Cause i am located in germany. or anybody know a shop who is shipping to germany?

Another question is the valve adjustment.
Is here a user who checked the valve adjustment and after that no stuttering?

Cause at my fit there is no engine check light on but the car is stuttering

Old 02-26-2012, 03:39 PM
My $220.00 valve adjustment did not solve the suttering.

Old 02-26-2012, 03:43 PM
5 Year Member
My $220.00 valve adjustment did not solve the suttering.
OK Thanks

So i think i will try new coils

Old 02-26-2012, 03:45 PM
No fix yet. I keep the pedal to the metal and shift at high RPMs, It seems to happen less often at a higher RPM say 3000 or more, mine stutters right at 2500 about 50 percent of the time.

Old 02-26-2012, 03:52 PM
5 Year Member
No fix yet. I keep the pedal to the metal and shift at high RPMs, It seems to happen less often at a higher RPM say 3000 or more, mine stutters right at 2500 about 50 percent of the time.
Same like mine

Also alot of stuttering when i am standing and the going fill throttle. also when i drive constant on highways

Old 02-26-2012, 05:31 PM
5 Year Member
I would try a good fuel injection cleaner. My wife's car had a stutter at 1500 rpms and it went away after a brand change of gas with the cleaner. Also try turning on the AC and lights and see if the load helps, If it does then its carbon or semi plug injector.

Quick Reply: Constant speed "stutter"