Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Mugen Short Shifter vs. T1R Quick Shift vs. Stock

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 11:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by junktea1
i'm debating between a t1r shortshift lever & the skunks' kit. i was surprised that the skunks kit only had some bolts in the kit.

i'm just looking for feedback on this item from ppl who have used/installed it

I have the H-Fit kit which is very similar, though some would argue better, than the Skunk2 kit. The H-Fit kit is great. The feel is much better and the placement of 5th gear is 100% better. I also have the weighted Skunk2 knob on top, so that probably helps with the feel too. I would look into that if you are considering the Skunk2 kit.

Old 01-03-2009, 04:44 PM
Banned
Location: Negative Repland (exiled by fragile ego's and "can't handle the truth" babies) LMFAO ;P
Originally Posted by Nabisco
I don't know. That is why I was asking.

If that was true then why do they make them?

I think that it would eventually increase wear on the synchros over time. I guess because you are engaging into gear quicker. I did find another thread on this subject here and it is 9+ pages. I will check that out when I have time.
It was nice to have one when I did, I'm just not certain I want to install that on my new car so soon.
why do they make fuel magnets?
why do they make cigarettes?

Old 01-03-2009, 04:58 PM
Banned
Location: Negative Repland (exiled by fragile ego's and "can't handle the truth" babies) LMFAO ;P
Originally Posted by colicab119
I love it when people cut their shifters to make them a "short Shift". People the reason its a short shift isnt anything to do with the height of the shifter if you look at stock and after market side by side the aftermarket is actually longer on the bottom portion (OMG!!!!) its all based on a simple lever theory, the longer the piece the shorter the throw
SIMPLE lever theory? u r confused
"its all based on a simple lever theory, the longer the piece the shorter the throw" that's correct for the lever BELOW the fulcrum
it's exactly the opposite for ABOVE the fulcrum
height of shift lever IS THE EXACT SAME THING as length of the lever above the fulcrum
look up fulcrum in the dictionary or if that's too bookish 4 u just stare at a teeter-totter to understand it "street smarts" style
WARNING-if u get arrested for pedophilia that means u were staring at the kids a little too long

Old 01-03-2009, 10:36 PM
wdb
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wdb
I'm actually thinking about trying the Mugen shifter AND the H-Fit kit together to shorten the throw, and using the Circuit Hero extender to get the height back up where I want it. Crazy, no?
Originally Posted by tougerunner86
I was actually thinking along those lines myself. Get the throws as short as possible then add a crazy tall shift lever to put it up next to the steering wheel. Thats what I did with my subaru anywho. Tell me how it goes if you do
I finally did it. Picked up a used Mugen shifter and added my H-Fit kit to it. Thread is here:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...t-shifter.html

Jury is still out on whether or not I like it. It takes a good bit of effort to get over into the 5th/reverse gate, and I have ground gears going into 2nd twice so far because it was not fully engaged when I let out the clutch. I'll live with it a little longer, then I'll put the Circuit Hero extender back on and live with that for a while.

January 10 2009 UPDATE: I've been using the Circuit Hero extender and really liking it. The combination of short-short throws, plus the extender, plus my JDM console, lets me rest my arm on the console and puts the shift knob right there in my hand. Very nice! I might still try to lower the lever about an inch or so, time will tell.

Last edited by wdb; 01-10-2009 at 11:10 PM.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:46 PM
Weird, I grinded 3rd a lot of times recently when it was stock and with Mugen it has ceased. 5th is sometimes a bitch and I grinded it one time so far but it won't happen again dammit.

Old 01-23-2009, 12:05 PM
The fit already has a good throw, why would you need it shorter??? Its not like a big rig with a 4 mile throw(not to be taken literally)

Old 01-23-2009, 06:02 PM
wdb
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by paulian06
The fit already has a good throw, why would you need it shorter???
Because we can!

Old 01-23-2009, 07:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by junktea1
any threads on the skunks short shift kit?
I had the skunk 2 kit on my 07 and loved it! Use locktite on the little set screws., bought it on ebay ($55 free shipping or best offer) I offered like $47 and won.

Granted the H-Fit may be a little more precise because it has solid bushings.
The skunk uses spacers and keeps the rubber bushings.
Downside could be more vibration felt in your hand and more noise, just a guess based on logic, plus the H-Fit is like $79?
The skunk was plenty precise for me and I am buying another one for my 09, and yes threads with pics as I remember, just try search.

Old 01-23-2009, 08:56 PM
5 Year Member
Short shifters do not prematurely wear the syncros. The shiftee does. "IF" the syncros do get worn prematurely, it is simply because you fail at pushing the clutch in fast enough. If you're pushing the clutch in before you shift, no problem.

Also, short shifters aren't needed. More for looks of having the shifter lower than anything. We've never used them in any of the race cars. Which all have happened to run 9.1-9.8 1/4 mi

Old 01-23-2009, 11:03 PM
Originally Posted by whtsjdm
"IF" the syncros do get worn prematurely, it is simply because you fail at pushing the clutch in fast enough. If you're pushing the clutch in before you shift, no problem.
Proper clutch usage won't help if you're shifting too fast for your synchros to keep up.

Your clutch disengages the transmission from the flywheel. The synchromesh's job is match the speed of the input shaft to the new gear, but they can't do their job instantaneously. Waiting a beat after you disengage the clutch can make the synchros job easier, since the shaft will begin to slow down in the tranny . . . but only on an upshift. On a downshift, the opposite is the case.

In order to REALLY save the synchros, you'd need to double clutch all the time. The genesis of double clutching was on unsynchronized gearboxes - you HAVE to do it in order to engage a new gear without damaging the tranny.

But in my opinion, we've got synchros for a reason - and that reason is so that we don't have to double clutch.

Old 01-24-2009, 12:03 PM
wdb
5 Year Member
Also, short shifters aren't needed. More for looks of having the shifter lower than anything.
Needed or not is a question of taste, and perhaps experience. "Short shift" kits do not necessarily shorten the lever, but they all definitely shorten the throw. Case in point #1: at least two of the available "short shift" kits for the Fit do not lower the shifter even one millimeter; in fact they raise a few mm's due to using thicker mounting bushings or spacers under the stock mounts. Case in point #2: I ended up raising the lever in my STi to get it closer to the steering wheel and more accessible during spirited driving; I guarantee you that the shift throws are nevertheless much shorter than stock.

I raised the lever in my Fit too, using a Circuit Hero extender. Combined with a Mugen lever + H-Fit kit, I now have throws very near to stock with a much more accessible lever (I also have the JDM console so I really like the taller lever for everyday driving). The combination of Mugen + H-Fit + Circuit Hero is one I would think would be very appealing to racers in search of faster, more accessible shifting.

Old 01-24-2009, 12:57 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by paulian06
The fit already has a good throw, why would you need it shorter??? Its not like a big rig with a 4 mile throw(not to be taken literally)
why do u ask why?
a reply like "because" is apt for ur question

Old 01-24-2009, 01:03 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by wdb
Needed or not is a question of taste, and perhaps experience. "Short shift" kits do not necessarily shorten the lever, but they all definitely shorten the throw. Case in point #1: at least two of the available "short shift" kits for the Fit do not lower the shifter even one millimeter; in fact they raise a few mm's due to using thicker mounting bushings or spacers under the stock mounts. Case in point #2: I ended up raising the lever in my STi to get it closer to the steering wheel and more accessible during spirited driving; I guarantee you that the shift throws are nevertheless much shorter than stock.

I raised the lever in my Fit too, using a Circuit Hero extender. Combined with a Mugen lever + H-Fit kit, I now have throws very near to stock with a much more accessible lever (I also have the JDM console so I really like the taller lever for everyday driving). The combination of Mugen + H-Fit + Circuit Hero is one I would think would be very appealing to racers in search of faster, more accessible shifting.
the circuit hero doesn't raise the lever it lengthens it (extends), the h-fit's bushings raise the lever's height
if u want to raise the lever further u could use longer mounting bolts and just add spacers under the h-fit's bushings to raise the entire assembly(as i have done)

Old 01-24-2009, 01:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Daemione
Proper clutch usage won't help if you're shifting too fast for your synchros to keep up.

Your clutch disengages the transmission from the flywheel. The synchromesh's job is match the speed of the input shaft to the new gear, but they can't do their job instantaneously. Waiting a beat after you disengage the clutch can make the synchros job easier, since the shaft will begin to slow down in the tranny . . . but only on an upshift. On a downshift, the opposite is the case.

In order to REALLY save the synchros, you'd need to double clutch all the time. The genesis of double clutching was on unsynchronized gearboxes - you HAVE to do it in order to engage a new gear without damaging the tranny.

But in my opinion, we've got synchros for a reason - and that reason is so that we don't have to double clutch.
That's not really true unless you're WOT shifting, which in that case really can wear out the syncros. As for normal shifting, it won't make a difference at all. I can't really see the point in banging out gears in a 16 second car anyway.

Old 01-28-2009, 06:30 PM
I bang out gears because shifting can get annoying and I like to cruise more than drive slow. 3rd gear is the only one I've ever grinded, but boy does that gear love to ****ing grind. I'll need a new tranny by 50k miles I bet

Old 01-30-2009, 09:22 PM
That's not really true unless you're WOT shifting, which in that case really can wear out the syncros. As for normal shifting, it won't make a difference at all. I can't really see the point in banging out gears in a 16 second car anyway.
Sfactor2, thats why i made that statement. I know "because" is a apt answer, but i did make my responce vague. whtsjdm reinforced my statement that i made, to me a short shifter isnt really going to be a noticable difference on a car like ours on the street. Now on the track, maybe a tenth of a second(or more)with mods and a swap, but really not much. Thats why i said the statement i did, just seeing what the responce would be from other people.

Old 02-22-2009, 10:41 AM
Touched by his noodly appendage
I'm looking to get a mugen short shift kit. Not to make my car faster or to be able to shift faster or whatever reason is on trial here. I just want a better feel. IMO the throws are too long and the shifter seems fragile. Just looking for a more solid, shorter throw for my taste.

Old 02-22-2009, 11:01 AM
that's what you'll get with Mugen. Do it. Just get the Circuit Hero extender because the JDM armrest WILL annoy the shit out of you

Old 02-23-2009, 11:57 AM
wdb
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by qbmurderer13
I'm looking to get a mugen short shift kit. Not to make my car faster or to be able to shift faster or whatever reason is on trial here. I just want a better feel. IMO the throws are too long and the shifter seems fragile. Just looking for a more solid, shorter throw for my taste.
Any of the available shifters/kits/assemblies will shorten the throw. The Mugen assembly includes a shorter lever as well, which none of the others has. Its value is a matter of taste.

I doubt that any of them will improve a "fragile" feel. It's a cable shifter. Just change "fragile" to "light" and, instead of fretting over fragility, brag to your friends about how light the shifting is.

Old 02-23-2009, 02:21 PM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
the reason people think short throw shifters mess with the synchros is all because of feel. when you have a longer shifter, you have more leverage and it tricks your mind into thinking it is shifting easier. when in reality, you are exerting the same amount of pressure when you are shifting. its all in your mind.

Quick Reply: Mugen Short Shifter vs. T1R Quick Shift vs. Stock