Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

how to fix drv side door lock

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 05:26 PM
how to fix drv side door lock

My fit was recently damaged during an attempted break in. They weren't able to get in but it looks like they shoved a huge screwdriver in the drvs side lock and and damaged it also pulling the door handle slightly off. I am unable to put the key in, but the door still opens with the door handle. First question is I guess how do you get to the door lock, though the handle on the outside or thru the door panel on the interior? and is the fit door lock specific to the car, because I found some door locks on ebay for a civic for example. The dealer is charging me $100 for the door lock assembly. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 10-13-2008, 06:49 PM
5 Year Member
I had this happen on an old Triumph Spitfire. The driver's side door rattled when I bought it. I opened the door up and found most of the innards bent and lying on the bottom of the door. It wasn't hard to unbend and put stuff back. I figure someone tried pry it open and just bent the inside up.

Your best bet would be to ask on the ICE board on this forum how to get the door panel off. People who've swapped speakers have to pull the panel to get at the speakers.

I don't know exactly how to get into the Fit's doors, but I've done it on Saabs, Blazers, Triumph's and Samurai's. I'd raise the window and cut off the power first. In every case, getting the door apart starts with taking off the inside decorations - door handles, lock handles, window cranks (no cranks on the Fit) etc. The door panel itself is usually held in with a bunch of clips that come off just by pulling the panel away from the door. A plastic putty knife sometimes helps to pry the panel away from the door without scratching the paint. There's usually a plastic sheet, sometimes film, sometimes hard molded, that acts as a water barrier to keep the water that enters the door around the window, inside the door. Try to keep this in one piece or have some replacement and sealant handy. After that, it's a matter of figuring out how to best reach around the window innards. Most of what's inside the door is for the window. If you can reach the lock mechanism behind the window, it shouldn't be too bad to reassemble.

You can't easily get into the door from the outside and certainly couldn't do any major work (window motor, regulator, glass, repair lock etc.) from there.

Old 10-13-2008, 06:59 PM
Fit Gadget Freak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ~Lesly~
My fit was recently damaged during an attempted break in. They weren't able to get in but it looks like they shoved a huge screwdriver in the drvs side lock and and damaged it also pulling the door handle slightly off. I am unable to put the key in, but the door still opens with the door handle. First question is I guess how do you get to the door lock, though the handle on the outside or thru the door panel on the interior? and is the fit door lock specific to the car, because I found some door locks on ebay for a civic for example. The dealer is charging me $100 for the door lock assembly. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Check with your local locksmith.
Use an ALOA one for best results!

Search ALOA at: www.findalocksmith.com

Lots of us do auto work.

You will save yourself money if you take the car to the locksmith rather than having one of us come to you. (We charge a service call for coming to you.)

Old 06-13-2019, 08:40 AM
I have done the same as said, hired locksmith vaughan and asked them to check and fix the door lock. Within an hour they sorted the whole issue.

Old 07-06-2019, 06:24 PM
5 Year Member
Angry

Gee, comparing locks of Fit to Triumph Spitfire?? Better compare it to the 1932 Ford!
The OP knows how to find a locksmith too!
For him is better to use a search function and find this thread: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/1st-...xperience.html
(it's not a self ad).
The pins (or wafers) of Honda locks have the number stamped; after following this thread it's possible to replace the wafers in the lock to mach it with existing key.
Looks like neither OP nor respondents are capable of doing so.
90% of this forum users are keyboard experts and cannot offer any valuable advice.
Sad!

Old 07-09-2019, 11:36 AM
Thanks for sharing the link through which op can get the way to repair the door lock and yeah op knows well how to find the locksmith near to their location.