Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Horn Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 10:27 AM
5 Year Member
I actually had a difference experience... no one heard me when I honked at people.

Now that I have my Hella dual tone... its a different story

Old 11-14-2006, 10:02 AM
http://www.hornblasters.com

http://www.hornblasters.com/video.php?pic=40

IF YOU WANT A HORN MADE TO IMPRESS, THIS, MY FIT FRIENDS, IS YOUR HORN!

Old 11-17-2006, 03:07 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by LiL Wee FIT
Yup! The horns are on the passenger side, under the windshield washer tank.

I replaced the stock horn with the Hella Dual Horns "New Generation". It is definitely a good upgrade over stock. The stock horn doesn't do jack! If I'm on the highway, people don't even hear my horn! Now with my Hella dual horns... I can show my prescense
Do you happen to have the Hella part number?

Old 11-17-2006, 03:19 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by tattedxb
IF YOU WANT A HORN MADE TO IMPRESS, THIS, MY FIT FRIENDS, IS YOUR HORN!
Geez!! I'd have to take out a 2nd mortgage to buy one!!!

Old 11-18-2006, 01:48 PM
5 Year Member
Get a horn out of like a 70's or 80's chev or ford.You want loud,they made loud.

Old 11-19-2006, 08:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dougiepants
Do the big ugly orange and red ones the Subaru guys do... lol
Those are Hella brand horns. They're loud that's for sure. All my friends had them, but I stayed stock with my STi.

Old 11-21-2006, 10:43 PM
5 Year Member
it was quite simple....

I took off the bumper, unhooked the stock horn and fed new wires for the new horn :P

I guess the hardest part is finding a way to get power from the stock connector.
how bout some DIY instructions with the part# and how you wired it?

Old 11-22-2006, 09:42 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by leonine
how bout some DIY instructions with the part# and how you wired it?
I'd like to see a picture of the horn and where the wiring harness comes from.
I'd rather find the color coded wires inside the engine area and wire in a horn there rather than taking off my bumper.

Old 11-22-2006, 06:33 PM
5 Year Member
Aight guys, I don't have the best picture, camera ran outta batteries, so I jus took it with my phone.

First, a picture of the horn (http://www.saft7.com/wp-print.php?p=176):

Now here are the pictures of the horns installed on my car...

Passenger side (where stock horn used to be):

Driver side:

Sorry, I don't have any before pictures. As for upgrading the horn without taking out the bumper, Im sure its possible, but it might be a little tight and will probably involve a lot of swearing. Hahah!

As for how I did it (with the help of my bro). We took the bumper off (4 screws and a few clips) then we unbolt the stock horn. Then we find a location on the driver side to mount the 2nd horn (as seen in picture above). The other horn can go back to its original position....

As for wiring... if i remember correctly, the ground is the mounting bracket itself. So just get some wire and connect the two horn's mounting bracket. As for power, shove a connector to the original power source, and wire it to the 2 horns! After that.. you should be good to go.

Thats a quick summary, and should provide a better idea as to what I did (if i explained myself correctly). I know some people would say that I need a relay and whatever else... I guess thats personal peference.

Again, I "think" thats what I did, Im not responsible if anything happens! And feel free to correct me if something is wrong...

-Sherman

Old 11-23-2006, 12:23 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the update!

Old 11-23-2006, 09:53 AM
Smile

Aight guys, I don't have the best picture, camera ran outta batteries, so I jus took it with my phone.

Sorry, I don't have any before pictures. As for upgrading the horn without taking out the bumper, Im sure its possible, but it might be a little tight and will probably involve a lot of swearing. Hahah!

As for how I did it (with the help of my bro). We took the bumper off (4 screws and a few clips) then we unbolt the stock horn. Then we find a location on the driver side to mount the 2nd horn (as seen in picture above). The other horn can go back to its original position....

As for wiring... if i remember correctly, the ground is the mounting bracket itself. So just get some wire and connect the two horn's mounting bracket. As for power, shove a connector to the original power source, and wire it to the 2 horns! After that.. you should be good to go.

Thats a quick summary, and should provide a better idea as to what I did (if i explained myself correctly). I know some people would say that I need a relay and whatever else... I guess thats personal peference.

Again, I "think" thats what I did, Im not responsible if anything happens! And feel free to correct me if something is wrong...

-Sherman

Why don't u put those horns in one bolt? coz i hv the red one, and put it on side by side with one-single bolt. sorry without any pics but i will post it soon after my car back from honda for maintenance.

Oh, Sorry.. i forgot that mine is fit aria.... coz the stock horn at aria placed behind the license plate..

Last edited by epin; 11-23-2006 at 10:02 AM. Reason: Different Front Chassis between Fit and Fit Aria
Old 06-30-2007, 07:22 PM
5 Year Member
I'd humbly submit that a horn is a necessity living in NYC. True, only jerks use horns too freely, but in the city you're out there with a few hundred thousand other jerks who WILL try to: cut you off, muscle into your lane without signaling, bang a sudden turn from the middle lane, drift into your lane on the highway or pull out of a parking spot or garage without bothering to look down the street. And on't even get me started on cab drivers. Your horn is your car's voice on the street. Sometimes if you don't use it, you'll get walked all over traffic-wise, or worse, crash into some idiot who should have known better.

Old 06-30-2007, 09:52 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
I bought this horn from autozone. It was only $20, 140dB compared to the OEMs 106dB.
Its basically a compact fog/train horn. Compressor is built into the back of the horn. Its almost as small as the OEM. LOUD AS HELL!!! I love it!

Old 07-15-2007, 12:11 PM
Replacing horn

Just got a pair of new horn from my bro..
I know..it's not an exciting mod but it's better than nothing hehe
I'm planning to install 'em 2morrow. I had a peek at my engine bay and cannot find the mount. Judging form the sound, I presume the factory horn mount is behind the bumper.
Do I need to remove the whole front bumper just to change the horn? Or is there an opening somewhere underneath the car closest to where the horn is?

Old 07-15-2007, 12:52 PM
kps
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
The horn (or horns, if your country gets two) are behind the bumper, just in front of the wheels.

Removing the bumper is pretty easy. There are some screws and clips along the top, bottom, and in the wheel wells -- I can't tell you exactly where because the American bumper is different. Then there are clips under the headlights -- just pull gently starting from the outer corner. Make sure you have a place to put the bumper that won't scratch it.

Old 07-15-2007, 01:21 PM
so I need to take the bumper off to reach the horn(s)?

Old 07-15-2007, 01:38 PM
kps
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
Probably, but I'm not sure, because the American front end is a bit different. This says to remove the bumper.

Old 08-31-2007, 07:53 PM
5 Year Member
Why buy Hella, get used Merc ones for much cheaper!

All:

I finally had a chance to go to a junkyard for something else, so I went to the Merc pile and found a 1989 W201/190E and got a pair of Bosch horns. Any 25 year old to newer Merc (W123, W126, W124, etc) horn should work.

Merc horns are two wire, and are located right behind the grille once the hood is opened. Oddly, many of the Mercs were missing their horns? There is a single bolt that holds both brackets. Cut the wire on the car, leaving at least four or five inches of wire, you need the wires between the two horns and a wire to go to the Fit wire and one for ground.

Installation: really, you do not HAVE to remove the bumper, you can pop the rivets out of the inner fender and work via this opening and the foglight hole. Tight but do-able.

The pair of Merc horns were mounted back to back (watch compressor and air bag sensor clearace) on the existing Fit bracket (you may need to remove the bracket and fold flat the two locator tabs on the end where the stock horn is.

Wiring: the brown wire was made ground (and grounded to the braket) and the other black/purple wire was spliced into the extant Fit horn wire (stock plug cut off).

Results? MUCH louder, MUCH better and at a total cost of under $8.

What made me finally do it was today when they closed I40 in Nashville and some asshat in a Tahoe from Wilson county who could not figure out how the Lebanon Road/Hermitage Ave arrow lanes worked decided to nearly side swipe me despite eye contact and hornblowing?!?!

Last edited by Spule 4; 08-31-2007 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Oops, Mercs listed not late model anymore, I am getting old.....
Old 09-05-2007, 01:15 PM
5 Year Member
This all reminds me of what my dad did on his BMW R90-6. When he was in Germany, he put an air horn on and went down the Autobahn. When he honked, everyone thought it was a Semi so they'd pull over and he'd go flying by...

I've been thinking about doing this myself. I'm from Texas so I grew up using the horn almost never. Then I moved to St. Louis where if someone doesn't like the shirt you're wearing they honk. Oh well...

Now to go mod the Fit again. I think I'll use the old truck horn I have lying around...

Old 11-03-2007, 09:42 PM
5 Year Member
I want a horn that goes to the beat of "La cucaracha".. got any way to find who makes these?

I just want a funny sound.

Quick Reply: Horn Replacement