Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Horn Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 02:02 PM
Originally Posted by Type 100
I've used a couple of horns so far:
Stebel TM80 Magnums and Bosch Windtones.

The Stebels were great. Not too loud, but they had a full tone. Unfortunately the stock horn mounting points (behind the bumper) are too low. The Magnums got destroyed when I had no choice but to run through a huge, deep puddle of standing floodwater.

The Bosch Windtones I replaced them with are a little harsher sounding but are otherwise a good replacement. The great thing about Bosch horns is that they come with a custom mounting bracket you can mount anywhere in the car. Learning from the low-mounted Stebels, I had them mounted higher up the car. They now dangle from the brace of the A/C refrigerant piping, where the hood support rod clips to when folded.

By the way, Stebel's website has sample sound clips of just about every horn they make.
STEBEL S.p.a.
Yeah, and how much stuff, bumper, splash guard etc, do you have to take off to get to the horn. My Accord was much easier and replacing it with stock Element horns made it's sound good. I bought a nice horn for my Fit but backed out when I found out just where the horn is... I don't have a lift!

Old 05-04-2009, 07:36 PM
You definitely don't need a lift to install horns on a GD3 - just some ramps to make it easy to pull off the front bumper. I'd never done it before, and it only took about 15 minutes. Step by step instructions to be found on this site w/ a search.

If you want, check out my thread from the GD3 forum, it's got a couple pictures & videos.

Old 05-13-2009, 04:17 PM
Air Replacement

I reached down into the quarter panel and pulled the wire. I spliced into the wire and ran the power to a combination compressor and flute air horn ($10) so that my steering wheel press would still operate the horn. The horn is loud but not obnoxious and worked well....until I blew the relay. The horn shares the relay with the cruise control. Ugh. I have since abandoned that method. I put a new button in the console down by the cup holders and ran power from that button (SPST Momentary) through the firewall to the compressor. I'll be re-sealing the line to the stock horn and plugging it back in for alarm purposes. And by the way the relay for the Horn/Cruise is $23 at the dealer...or $7 at online dealers. I hate StealerShips.

rc

Old 06-27-2010, 01:39 PM
5 Year Member
I have a brand new Accord Horn 38100-STK-A02. $15 Shipped.

PM me!

Old 07-01-2010, 05:59 PM
5 Year Member
I bought the PIAA 500/600hz horn kit for my '08 Honda Fit Sport. I thought it would be an upgrade in volume but no. It sounded pretty much the same, only with a higher tone. I first tried the 600hz horn alone and then the 500hz horn alone. I didn't wire them together because I didn't have the extra wires needed to do that, since the stock horn was only one horn.

The stock horn said "108db" and this PIAA horn was rated at 115db, so there wasn't much difference. I'd say this wasn't a good investment.

Old 07-01-2010, 06:24 PM
Why replace a horn and end up with the same thing. The Stebe Nautilus is a distinctively different horn, a true Italian Air Horn, sounds like no other.

It is no more difficult that any other, mainly because I have gone through the learning curve.

Before you check out my thread just listen to the audio clip on their web site: STEBEL S.p.A. - horns

Maybe it's not for you, but this is not a novelty horn nor an Asian meepmeep - it's a beautiful Italian horn, that's all.

If you like it here's my learning curve for all to share:https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...ruise-set.html

Prepare to be noticed - trust me it'll catch an eye every time_

Old 07-01-2010, 06:25 PM
Umm, if you're only using one horn of the two horns, then yeah . . . it wouldn't be worth your while.

Old 07-01-2010, 06:53 PM
5 Year Member
I think the stock horn for the '08 Fit is 400hz. Even the 500hz horn sounded higher.

Well, I decided to use both horns together. The tricky part was having the extra wire and connectors and finding a place to mount the 2nd horn. Now, I'm satisfied with the volume and the tone doesn't sound gay anymore.

Last edited by trant; 07-03-2010 at 01:30 AM. Reason: Update
Old 07-25-2010, 08:19 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dartvader
personally i think horns should be hooked up with electrodes to your nipples!
Can I get a wiring diagram and parts list for that? I'm in!

Last edited by rocksnap; 07-25-2010 at 08:20 AM. Reason: add
Old 03-18-2011, 12:21 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SHG_Mike
I am trying to mount hellas like SHG_Mike in a 08 GD. I took a photo of the hood latch bracket in front of radiator. I was going to drill out the 2 dimples on the left and right. I just wanted to see if anyone has any opinions about this. Can only drill once, so I want to make sure I get this right. Thanks for any help.

Old 03-24-2011, 05:48 PM
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
Why replace a horn and end up with the same thing. The Stebe Nautilus is a distinctively different horn, a true Italian Air Horn, sounds like no other.

It is no more difficult that any other, mainly because I have gone through the learning curve.

Before you check out my thread just listen to the audio clip on their web site: STEBEL S.p.A. - horns

Maybe it's not for you, but this is not a novelty horn nor an Asian meepmeep - it's a beautiful Italian horn, that's all.

If you like it here's my learning curve for all to share:https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...ruise-set.html

Prepare to be noticed - trust me it'll catch an eye every time_
i agree, my stock horn went out from water damage so i ordered this horn. been working great so far! definately gets more attention than the tiny stock horn

Old 03-31-2011, 06:33 AM
I installed the PIAA 500/600hz horns on my Fit.

Installation was pretty straightforward. Some cutting and slicing was required, but nothing a non-mechanic like me, or you, couldn’t do. The only extra parts needed was a splice connector and two extra 1/4" female blade connectors. I used the two wires that PIAA supplied and cut them in half. There was plenty of wire to do the job. Oh yeah, you'll need a wire crimper as well.

I mounted them on the stock bracket hole. They weren’t both straight up and down, but good enough that I’m not worried about water getting in them.

I did have to cut some of the plastic latch shroud out to enable good fitment of that piece, again, nothing too hard. I just kept snipping off pieces until it cleared the horns. It looks very clean.

The two tone horn sounds great, very ear catching without being too obnoxious. Kind of like a hand gesture, with a smile.

I am not embarrassed to use my horn anymore.

Last edited by FitAK; 03-31-2011 at 06:47 AM.