Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

3000 mile oil change a thing of the past

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 09:32 PM
5 Year Member
3000 mile oil change a thing of the past

I turn on computer and this was on the front page. Like the ?55 Chevy, the 3,000-Mile Oil Change Is Pretty Much History - Yahoo! Finance They talk about Honda.

Old 09-13-2010, 12:14 AM
Nice article to show to some people that is still living their lives with what it used to be.

Old 09-13-2010, 12:19 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks, Its nice to see it in writing by the professionals for a change.

Old 09-13-2010, 12:30 PM
My maintenance minder is looking to average about 10k between 1a and b services. Initial 1a light came on at nearly 9300 miles. I log over 70 miles just in getting to and from work each day. The dealer put a sticker in the window saying I should return at 14900 or so for another oil change, yet my maintenance minder is at 70% right now at over 15000miles.

For some time I was wondering if the MM was off or if that is ok. I guess now I know.

Carl B

Old 09-13-2010, 12:54 PM
5 Year Member
Now you can ask why so early and give him the spokesman name of Honda.

Old 09-13-2010, 02:25 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
for me it's usually the maintenance reminder or one year.

Old 09-13-2010, 08:33 PM
5 Year Member
I still check the oil and will use MM or 1 year. If oil level gets low I will change it but no synthetic in these cars because of saving money and no need with g5 group oils.

Old 09-25-2010, 10:54 PM
5 Year Member
Hello all,
I saw somewhere that the MM uses an algorithm to figure out when to change oil. I think it counts the engine revs. At very high revs you get bonus revs counted and if it is shut down when still cold you get bonus revs too. Items other than just the oil are required based on time and get added to the work required when their times are up. Your air filter could be clogged up but the computer doesn't know that so it won't tell you to change it until the time is up.
Mine was full of sand and crap so I just blew out the shit and put it back in. That may not have been a good idea, but i am not worried as if they don't change it at the next service I will. If I want to save money I should do it myself anyway.
From my info 14,000 kms are possible (+/- 9000 miles) between oil changes.
The danger is that the oil level could go down enough to cause lubrication problems for the timing chain with the result of many $ spent to change the chain, the gears, the tensioner and the guides on the sides (get rubbed on when the chain stretches). Don't laugh, this has all happened here where we have cold winters and ladies drive short distances before shutting down. Locally Honda was obliged by a small claims judge to pay the shot when this became necessary after the owner had been being put off until the MM signalled to change. The dealer was refusing to change the oil until the MM said to. The chain had stretched almost 2 inches.
After hearing this story I decided to have my oil changed at the 50% notice.
Cheers
Rod

Old 09-25-2010, 11:46 PM
5 Year Member
09-10 Honda Fits uses the total air flow and fuel usage with engine time to adjust MM. The oils and fuels are cleaner than in the past so less frequent oil changes are needed. I have 30 percent with 6300 miles, I drive a lot of highway so I will have to change every 7500 miles I check the oil every other tank and the oil level is always good. My 08 Fit always said 6000 miles did not matter.

My wife has 50 percent at 3500 miles, she does a lot of short trips and lot of idling. 50 percent is safe and its good to know you can go further as long as the oil level is good.

Old 09-30-2010, 08:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ElanS2

The danger is that the oil level could go down enough to cause lubrication problems for the timing chain with the result of many $ spent to change the chain, the gears, the tensioner and the guides on the sides (get rubbed on when the chain stretches). Don't laugh, this has all happened here where we have cold winters and ladies drive short distances before shutting down. Locally Honda was obliged by a small claims judge to pay the shot when this became necessary after the owner had been being put off until the MM signalled to change. The dealer was refusing to change the oil until the MM said to. The chain had stretched almost 2 inches.
After hearing this story I decided to have my oil changed at the 50% notice.
Cheers
Rod
I dont understand. Are you saying that the owner is not responsible for checking the oil level between changes and topping off as necessary?

There are a couple of post in this thread that seem to imply that no oil should be added between changes. If that is the case, why is there even a dipstick?

Small claims court decisions are hardly a place to gain knowlege of chemistry or engineering. Usually, someone files and the business doesnt show up to court and automatically loses or the judge just feels sorry for the "little" guy or gal and figures the "rich" business can tolerate the financial loss. You should see how landlords are treated in many local courts.

Last edited by nikita; 09-30-2010 at 08:32 PM.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:37 PM
5 Year Member
The story was told to me by the mechanic that discovered the situation, did the mechanical work, and testified in small claims court. Apparently Honda's defence was that the owner was responsible for maintaining the oil level. Honda lost because the despite the owner's desire to have the oil changed they refused and referred to the MM telling the owner to rely on it. Who decided that the oil level was OK, I don't know. Honda did state that the engine is sensitive to the oil level.
My point in relating the story is that it is not wise to rely on all the "intelligence" built into modern cars. Vehicle ownership is being dumbed down in what seems to be a desire by manufacturers to remove all responsibility from the owner, until a problem arrises. Maintenance minders that don't really analyze the actual condition of any of the components. ABS which applies the brakes, but is blind to what is coming. Entertainment that that can make you forget that you are in a car. Our society seems to think that people should be entertained and protected from themselves with the result that people are rarely responsible for their situation.
I should stop ranting even if I have a lot more to say.
Like you say "rich" business can tolerate the financial loss.
Landlords have a hard time here too.
Cheers
Rod

Old 12-02-2010, 04:26 PM
5 Year Member
Heres more info on the 3000 mile oil change, http://cartersauto.com/files/Oil_Drain_Interval.pdf