Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Rear seat latch broken

Old 03-21-2011, 12:01 PM
5 Year Member
Rear seat latch broken

My rear seat latch, driver's side broke some how. I took apart the plastic piece which covers the clamp. From the looks of it, the little white clip that holds the lever in place is broken. not only that, the latch on top of the seat went loose. Im guessing that its broken as well.

Has this happened to anyone? Any ideas on how to fix it?

I rigged a solution to keep the lever in place, which I will replace with, a real clip. The latch on the top of the seat was still loose. So both those have to be broken.
Not sure how it happened since my brother tried moving the seat down and he said he couldent... fail...

Help please
I accept donations on a rear seat!

Old 03-22-2011, 10:21 AM
5 Year Member
All these views and no posts, this hasn't happened to anyone?

Old 03-22-2011, 04:08 PM
First time for everything I guess.

Old 03-22-2011, 06:11 PM
5 Year Member
Apparently so. May ask the dealer if they can do anything.

Old 06-24-2011, 08:00 AM
Broken Seat Latch

I have the same problem with my 08' fit. Everything was working fine until I was moving some boxes and then the latch just stopped working. I have no idea how this happened. Anyone have a solution for this problem?

Old 07-20-2011, 03:47 AM
anyone got a fix on this? my rear driver side seat latch is doing the same thing and i don't really want to take it to the dealership.

Old 07-20-2011, 05:00 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Def_Jukie
anyone got a fix on this? my rear driver side seat latch is doing the same thing and i don't really want to take it to the dealership.
Havn't been on the boards in a WHILE, but i noticed that you need help lol. I had the same thing happen to me. Took off the back seat covers (where they latch) and I found this little white piece of broken plastic that holds the metal to the latch mechanism.

No need to go to dealership...

Honda Fit Parts - Bernardi Honda Parts and Accessories

U need part #38.

part number: 82626-SAA-J01
Description: Snap
Cost: $2.03

This part is for your 07-08 honda fit drivers side back seat latch.

Double check before you order the part b/c I can guarentee this is what is broken. If ur latch moves up and down freely and the back seats do not fold, this is the culprit.

I used to have a photo of the part, but i don't anymore, my bad. I can try to take one for you later if u can't figure it out.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:50 PM
Originally Posted by koolkevin1107
Havn't been on the boards in a WHILE, but i noticed that you need help lol. I had the same thing happen to me. Took off the back seat covers (where they latch) and I found this little white piece of broken plastic that holds the metal to the latch mechanism.

No need to go to dealership...

Honda Fit Parts - Bernardi Honda Parts and Accessories

U need part #38.

part number: 82626-SAA-J01
Description: Snap
Cost: $2.03

This part is for your 07-08 honda fit drivers side back seat latch.

Double check before you order the part b/c I can guarentee this is what is broken. If ur latch moves up and down freely and the back seats do not fold, this is the culprit.

I used to have a photo of the part, but i don't anymore, my bad. I can try to take one for you later if u can't figure it out.
How were you able to remove the black plastic thing covering the latch mechanism? My seat is currently stuck in the farthest reclined position and I'm kind of confused as to how I can remove the bottom screw.

Old 07-24-2011, 06:31 PM
5 Year Member
Go into the trunk and manually unlatch it with a screwdriver. U can just push up the latching mechanism...

Old 07-28-2011, 10:50 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Scala
Has this happened to anyone? Any ideas on how to fix it?
It has happened twice to me when I fold the rear seat down. The mounting tabs on the leaver snap because the leaver hits the back of the driver's seat (contact with the outer plastic cover near the base of the seat) when the driver's seat is slid all the way back. (The passenger side does not contact.)

My solution is to slide my seat forward one click before I fold down the rear seat.

Here is what I purchased (twice):
82621-SLN-A01ZA / List price $11.48 / LEVER, L. LOCK *NH167L* (GRAPHITE BLACK) . Interior color: Z-BLACK

Old 08-26-2011, 06:03 PM
5 Year Member
My Fit did the same F'ing thing. I'm so pissed. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand the front passenger door lock won't open with the key from the outside AND the driver side has been like this for over a year. Dealer wants $300+ to do one, now it needs both.

Going in through the hatch FTL, and now the seat won't recline without a screwdriver.

Old 08-26-2011, 07:36 PM
That's reminding me of an old Cadillac I once owned. Climbing through a car car get real old in a hurry....

Old 09-24-2012, 01:07 PM
Passenger Side back seat won't go down

The latch for the back seat won't engage. The "flipper" at the top of the seat is flopping around...

You can push up on the latch to release the seat but be careful that you don't get your finger caught as the seat moves forward. It really hurts if you do.

The problem is a small plastic clip (think small Lego sized) has broken. Take a philips screw driver and unscrew the two screws holding the plastic cover around the latch. Pull on it and you will pull the plastic rivets off with the cover.

The part number for the passenger side "snap" is 82226-SAA-J01 for a 2007 Fit. The post above is for the driver's side "snap". Prices have risen, they now cost $3.33.

Push the fabric up on the top of the latch. By moving the "flipper" you will see a steel rod with an angle at the end move up and down. Push the angled end of the steel rod into the hole in the "snap". Clip the other end of the "snap" around the shaft portion of the steel rod.

The locking piece of the old snap will be sticking out of the white piece of plastic. With some pliers, close the snap and push it out of the white piece of plastic.

Position the new snap and rod into place and push it until it snaps in. Or take pliers and pull it into locking. Use a hammer to pop the plastic rivets out of the cover. Screw the cover back on and tap the rivets into place and you're done.

BTW, the lower part of the seat cover is glued but it's glued to a C shaped strip that holds the other piece of the seat cover. You can "unzip" one from the other. If it looks like you'll have to do major violence to get something done, you probably are doing it wrong. Think about it before going into action.

Good luck

Old 04-17-2015, 09:12 AM
Re

Big thanks to the folks here that posted the part number needed. I did this repair and took pictures for people. Hope this helps.

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums - johnnyoo's Album: 2007 Honda Fit rear seat latch repair

Old 04-23-2015, 08:55 AM
5 Year Member
My driver side rear seat latch recently "cracked". Not sure how. The latch still works, but the part you pull up on is cracked on either side. I'll report back when I fix it. And take pics. It's really strange.
I'm referring to the latch in "johnnyoo"s 7th picture (on top of seat)

Last edited by Fitster8; 04-23-2015 at 08:57 AM.
Old 06-24-2015, 02:04 PM
5 Year Member
Cracked rear seat latch

Finally a pic of my broken seat latch which I still not fixed. It still works, but not sure how much longer it will last. Does anyone know how to replace the latch? Still checking the forum for some tips. Maybe just a screwdriver to get the top piece of the latch mechanism off.

Name:  c642d0d9-0358-40d8-b165-aa44795a98c7_zpsmullekd0.jpg
Views: 12628
Size:  405.1 KB

Last edited by Fitster8; 06-24-2015 at 02:09 PM.
Old 08-27-2015, 08:58 AM
Many thanks to koolkevin1107, johnnyoo and steward23. I followed their instructions and found it would take only 15 minutes to repair one seat. The only thing that takes most time is using a screwdriver to release seats.

Both of my left and right rear seats stuck for the same reason. If u buy parts online, u can order left and right parts at same time to save shipping fees. And these plastic parts seem vulnerable, u can order two for each side.

Old 01-29-2017, 08:52 AM
5 Year Member
Ah ha Scala to the rescue.
Ya MzFiT drivers side latch broke and googled it and here I am right back home.
Thanks for the posts everybody. See if I can get to this lil bugger and make it out of metal.