Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Rubbing Compound Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 06:03 AM
5 Year Member
Rubbing Compound Problem

Hello forum, I need to ask for advice about a problem I have run into with rubbing compound and my brand new 2011 MR Fit. My second night with the Fit my apartment sprinklers drizzled all over the front end of the car leaving water spots . Sometimes, depending on the area you live, I have noticed that the minerals in the water may or may not wash off. I attempted to wash off the spots with no luck. I asked a friend which mentioned that rubbing compound would do the trick... just lightly use it, apply some hand polish, then wax! WRONG!

I washed the car, dried it thoroughly, and started the process. I purchased the 3M rubbing compound found at Pep Boys. Before starting, I read the 3M website which mentioned to apply a small portion, lightly rub, wipe off, and finish with polish. So I did just that, except that after I wiped off and applied the polish, it did not make the area nice and shiny. Now I am left with dull areas: large portion of my hood, parts of the bumper and a small area on my door. The dullness is visible mainly up close, not super faded since the car is still new but definitely noticeable to a new car owner.

I would assume my first mistake was listening to a friend. The second mistake was not asking my autobody friends. The third mistake was thinking I could pull this off as a DIY. And the forth mistake was not testing in a small area before moving along...

I could go on forever explaining what I did and how it looks but then it would turn this thread into a repetitive essay. So, I have dull areas and swirl marks after using rubbing compound.

1) Any suggestions on how to fix without having to purchase a polisher?
2) Any suggestions on how much an autobody shop would charge to fix? And what is the process called? (I understand it will depend on the variability of damage, but am I looking at costs of an arm and leg, or something in the range of $200 bucks?)

Please, negative criticism will not help. I am no fool to new cars and taking care of them. I just thought it would be an easy DIY job like most others. Unfortunately, I have learned the hard way and will end up paying extra $$$$ for it. I will continue to make mistakes in the future, but never this one again! LOL!

Thanks much guys/gals!

Old 09-14-2011, 08:49 PM
5 Year Member
no suggestions?

Old 09-16-2011, 03:14 PM
It's possible that the dullness you are talking about is just missing spots of wax that was left from the dealer. Now the light swirl marks are most likely from the rubbing compound since it is slightly abrasive. You should have been better off using a polishing compound which is not as strong but good for small marks and light scratches. I used it when I de-badged the Fit and had a few marks on the car.

I would suggest using a Polishing compound on it to remove the swirl marks but very lightly on it, then washing real good and giving it a wax.

Old 09-20-2011, 01:44 AM
5 Year Member
thanks for the suggestion. i did some research and reading on 8thcivic, s2ki, and honda-tech and found a few helping solutions. there was a missing step of swirl remover. after that, it looks just fine after a nice wax. although there are still small swirls, it understand that without a complete detail and cut and polish, they will always be there.

Old 09-20-2011, 02:38 AM
5 Year Member
take it to a bodyshop or dealer or someone who knows what they are doing

Old 09-20-2011, 03:41 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by solbrothers
take it to a bodyshop or dealer or someone who knows what they are doing
that's always a good option... not everything needs to be taken to the shop though. unfortunately, i made a booboo and i was able to correct it.

Old 09-20-2011, 06:31 PM
For next time though start with the least abrasive thing like a clay bar then work your way up.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:09 PM
5 Year Member
or just wash your car?

Old 09-21-2011, 12:14 AM
5 Year Member
washing the car is a no brainer. we all know how bad water spots can be, and simply washing doesn't always cut it. but as for claybars, i havent had much luck with them in the past. i started using clay bars on my s2k when i first bought it and the clay bar really didnt do much pertaining to water spots. but i appreciate the suggestion...

i appreciate the efforts to comment solbrother, but ur short smart comments do not help anyone much. not only that, it doesn't create much a friendly and inviting environment. im sure u could really care less, but aren't forums or clubs meant to create some kind of unity in bringing people together to help? idk...

Old 09-21-2011, 10:42 AM
Originally Posted by bunz559
i appreciate the efforts to comment solbrother, but ur short smart comments do not help anyone much. not only that, it doesn't create much a friendly and inviting environment. im sure u could really care less, but aren't forums or clubs meant to create some kind of unity in bringing people together to help? idk...
Yes and no, you were an idiot and decided to use rubbing compound without truly knowing how to use the product. I'm assuming you took the car to a car wash (being that you mentioned living in an apartment), so you probably didn't take the time to hand wash it. A proper wash would probably have taken the spots right out.

Old 02-05-2012, 07:52 PM
sounds like you got an abrasive rubbing compound. I recently bought the meguiars polish compound which states its safe for clearcoat. I used to work with boats which used lots of various 3m compounds and some were like toothpaste with sand.