Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

I need advice!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 04:00 PM
Unhappy I need advice!

My 2010 Fit ain't what she used to be.

She used to be perky and responsive and now when I push the gas pedal she groans and seems to work harder to get up to speed. It seems like it is noisier also (sounds like someone cutting down a tree with a chainsaw).

I already have 54000 miles on her and ALL I have done is change the oil.
Is it the timing?
Do I need to get a tune-up?
Change the trans fluid?

Should I take it only to a Honda dealer or can I be cheaper and take it somewhere else?

Thank you.

Old 04-16-2012, 04:27 PM
5 Year Member
change the tranny fluid asap bro u will feel the diffrence get the new d1 from the dealer if urs is auto and also change ur air filter i knw there a diy sumwhere in this form ima at 5k right now on my fit im planing on changeing my tranny fluid at 13k mine 2012 auto sport

Last edited by Wafulz; 04-16-2012 at 04:34 PM.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:42 PM
5 Year Member
Sounds like you need a valve adjustment.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:58 PM
5 Year Member
so when do u recommend i do mines at ? funkster

Old 04-16-2012, 07:33 PM
5 Year Member
The service manual says every 100,000 miles or when the valves become noisy. I would do it at your earliest conveinence. Extreme clearance issues can cause engine damage. So while likely not a huge deal I would want to check it out in reasonable time. The only real downside is if you aren't doing it yourself it is kind of an expensive thing to have a shop do.

Old 04-16-2012, 07:51 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by borderline55
My 2010 Fit ain't what she used to be.

She used to be perky and responsive and now when I push the gas pedal she groans and seems to work harder to get up to speed. It seems like it is noisier also (sounds like someone cutting down a tree with a chainsaw).

I already have 54000 miles on her and ALL I have done is change the oil.
Is it the timing?
Do I need to get a tune-up?
Change the trans fluid?

Should I take it only to a Honda dealer or can I be cheaper and take it somewhere else?

Thank you.
Fits don't need "tune ups", and your trans. fluid won't make any difference in how the car drives. Your owner's manual service recommendations will tell you the mileage that the trans. fluid change is due. Spark plugs last about 100K, and that is the only "tune up" job that is needed. I agree with Funkster- do the valve adjustment and that should solve your problems. If you have any skills at all, the DIY info. on these forums will tell you how to do the work yourself. If you don't have those skills, paying the high shop rate for a professional to do it will probably be worth spending the money. In adition to the skills, you also need the proper tools. The tools will pay for themselves with a single use, but you DO need to know how to use them.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:47 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
^ Spark plug replacement and valvetrain adjustments are considered part of a typical "tune-up" if you ask me.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:36 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by doctordoom
^ Spark plug replacement and valvetrain adjustments are considered part of a typical "tune-up" if you ask me.
To any real mechanic, a "tune up" concerns only ignition and timing components. In general maintenance on a Fit, that means spark plugs only, since you can't change the timing and there is no distributor, rotor, points or condenser to be replaced. Someone who "babies" their Fit is going to require a valve adjustment at far greater mileage intervals than someone who drives it hard. The expression "tune up" no longer applies. The car needs specific things when it needs specific things concerning ignition and timing, no longer a set procedure involving routine replacment of mutiple ignition system parts.

Last edited by Triskelion; 04-17-2012 at 01:41 AM.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:39 AM
5 Year Member
Check the air filter. Mine gets gunked up fast on this car.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:48 AM
Check your exhaust...I had this problem with my mustang and the exhaust was split on the bottom side of the header. The exhaust not have back pressure caused it to bog and sound like a lawn mower.

Old 04-18-2012, 05:00 PM
Much appreciated

Thanks for all of the good advice.
I don't have skills so off to the dealership for me.
I will let you know what the damage was.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:58 AM
So I took it into the dealership and I got the following service:

Oil & filter and tire rotation 30.00
replace trans fluid (3 qts ?) 84.00
replace air filter 34.00
new cabin filter 34.00

The car runs perkier now, so I am satisfied.

Old 04-30-2012, 12:09 PM
5 Year Member
The air filter was most likely nasty looking. I'm glad this took care of your issues.

Old 04-30-2012, 03:30 PM
Both filters were really bad.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:29 PM
5 Year Member
my 2 cents

If you've purchased the fit do yourself a favor and buy the following (bernardiparts.com is good for this use fitfreak as the promo code for a minuscule but appreciated discount):

1) about 2 or 3 cabin air filters
2) about 2 or 3 wiper insert sets (front and back)
3) 4 air filters (or 1 k&n )
4) advanced owners : some wheel studs, 3 changes worth of atf (for the infamous 3x ATF fluid change for severe service) and brake fluid ...also some aftermarket rotors and pads for when the time comes....

this alone will save you enough bread over the course of the next 50-80k to cover your valve adjustment (usually $210 at a dealership)

it isnt a hard thing to do, but very involving for the fit, and so many parts get removed on the way to the valve cover that for the time it might be worth leaving it at the dealership...

also get ready to buy a new battery, mine died at the 3.5 year mark at the WORST possible time...

Old 05-01-2012, 09:55 AM
This is good advice. Thanks for the link.

What I found weird was that when I talked to the dealership service adviser over the phone, he said I should be using 20 weight synthetic oil. He said regular oil gets too hot and burns up. Synthetic would cost about 60-70 bucks for a change.

But when I went to the dealership with my 30.00 oil change coupon the guy told me I would be getting a "house blend". I am going to open a new thread on this.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:30 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by borderline55
This is good advice. Thanks for the link.

What I found weird was that when I talked to the dealership service adviser over the phone, he said I should be using 20 weight synthetic oil. He said regular oil gets too hot and burns up. Synthetic would cost about 60-70 bucks for a change.

But when I went to the dealership with my 30.00 oil change coupon the guy told me I would be getting a "house blend". I am going to open a new thread on this.
Eh; bad advice. The Fit does use some oil between changes though. A lot of regular oils have a synthetic base now, which makes some blends (don't ask me..I've just heard this) almost identical to the properties of their fully synthetic counterparts. It depends on the weight. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that synthetic isn't going to do a damn thing currently, or long term, on a tiny normally aspirated car. Spend that money on a good filter. Of course, this is getting into oil debates, and that is about as touchy a subject as there is in online automotive discourse.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Santiad
If you've purchased the fit do yourself a favor and buy the following
4) advanced owners : some wheel studs,
WHEEL STUDS?

Point me to a reason that this is routine maintenance.

A $15 torque wrench from Harbor Freight is all you need to keep those wheels on tight, with equal tension on each lug nut.

++++++++++++

Borderline, I'm glad your engine is running better. I'd side with the guys who recommended a valve adjustment. There are plenty of decent independent Honda repair shops that would do the job for less than the dealer.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:24 AM
5 Year Member
if you're going to do a valve adjustment, buy some spark plugs and have them replace them while everything is out of the way. Tight fit otherwise....

why did I recommend wheel studs? personal experience:

I pulled off my wheels when replacing my shocks and notice the studs they put in there arent the exact same length as my OEM ones.....one f the shops I went to in the past replaced 2 wheel studs that were messed up after some impact wrenching gone wrong....

figured from now on I'll keep a few extras in the trunk just in case.