Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

How to clean the interior? With questions, answers and suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 09:39 PM
5 Year Member
Does harm or not.. I just don't like the oily feeling and its high shine. I personally use 303 Protectant. It has a high UV protection and it leaves a very low gloss finish! Oh! Its not oily too!

Old 08-03-2006, 01:01 AM
5 Year Member
Use pledge!

Old 08-03-2006, 12:03 PM
Originally Posted by Jonniedee
Will someone please point me to an unbiased documented test that actually proves that the bad mouthing of Armorall is fact and not fiction based.
And anything done by a competitor DOES NOT count...
I've done a ton of searching, and I think it's an urban legend myself.

From what I've read, there were problems with Armor All in the 1970s which caused things to prematurely age. So, most of the bad hype is leftover rumors from that time period.

If it were really true, they'd be out of business.

As for the alcohol content, their own website says otherwise...

What are the ingredients in Armor All® Protectants? Do they include silicone, alcohol, ultraviolet inhibitors and petroleum distillates?
Armor All® Leather Care contains lanolin and natural moisturizers, and UV inhibitors. Armor All® Leather Protectant Spray and Leather Wipes contain water-based silicone emulsions, surfactants, and ultraviolet light inhibitors. Armor All® Original Shine Protectant contains water-based silicone emulsions, surfactants, and ultraviolet light inhibitors, humectants, dispersants and gloss enhancers. Armor All® Ultimate Clean Protectant contains water-based silicone emulsions, surfactants, ultraviolet light inhibitors and a fragrance.
http://www.armorall.com/faqs_interior.html

Old 08-03-2006, 01:08 PM
5 Year Member
Ding-ding! Joe_d gets an attaboy for digging up the truth!

Old 08-03-2006, 01:38 PM
Personally I use 303 protectant.

http://www.303products.com/tech/inde...TOKEN=53296282

It doesnt leave the shine that you get with armorall and it's really good against UV rays. It's not greasy like armor all either...

Old 08-03-2006, 09:15 PM
I tried Armor All, but found that it streaked the black dimpled plastic in the interior very easily... Parks would look nice and shiney while others were not.

I now use 'Trim Shine' on my Fit it doesn't streak, cleans well and if you apply it with the doors closed you get woozy feeling!

Old 08-04-2006, 08:06 AM
Talking

Originally Posted by kingpenguin
if you apply it with the doors closed you get woozy feeling!
Now that's my kind of product!

Old 08-04-2006, 07:06 PM
Originally Posted by big Fit
Caution with armor all products; they need to be checked. Armoral has alcohol. It dries stuff out badly.... It even discolors most items... It should never be used for many things. In contrast Mcguires makes a rubber and vinyl conditioner that is water based so, it will not dry up stuff and in addition to that it has sun screen rated at 40. Any cleaner/conditoner products with alcohol regardless of maker should be used with caution.
I don't know when they changed the mixture, but my bottle of armor-all says it has no solvents or alcohol, protects against discoloration and cracking. It was made in 1998, found it in my parents garage, shook it up and it smells great and did a wonderful job on my dash. Also, not sure how correct they are, but it says it'll protect against UV dmg.

I've heard damn good stuff about Mcguires lately, I'll prob switch to it and see whats up.

Old 08-04-2006, 10:52 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
We used Armor-All once or twice on our Volvo and old Bug dashes, and all it did was cause the front window to get streaky and have this weird haze that took months to get rid of. We never even got any on the windows when we used it, either.

Old 08-04-2006, 11:38 PM
5 Year Member
Do not use Windex on your dash especially any with ammonia as it will crack the dash. I've used Finish 2001 (F21) which keeps it well protected.. but does have the shiny look. If you don't like that, then it may not be for you. Although a lot of protectants are supposed to leave a shiny finish since it is essentially acting as a barrier and keeping the dash from drying till it cracks. I wonder if saddle soap will work, since it is very dense yet very moist - even if it offers no UV protection.

I've never had any problems with reflections as it is still matte and not glossy like clear coated wood finish.

Old 08-05-2006, 12:09 AM
I have doing some reading on this and a product that comes highly recommended is "303 aerospace protectant". I like that it is not shiny or oily.
http://www.autogeek.net/303.html?gcl...FTNrDgodxmt63Q
I gave up on armour all years ago when my tires kept turning brown from it.

Old 08-05-2006, 03:41 AM
hey guys how about a after market navigational system for the fit

Old 08-05-2006, 08:35 AM
Originally Posted by accordselux
Personally I use 303 protectant.

http://www.303products.com/tech/inde...TOKEN=53296282

It doesnt leave the shine that you get with armorall and it's really good against UV rays. It's not greasy like armor all either...
Ok that sounds good to me....I don't like shine...just a slight gloss and the UV Ray protection is good too

Old 08-05-2006, 10:49 AM
Originally Posted by rushhour63
hey guys how about a after market navigational system for the fit
What does that have to do with armor all?

Anyway, I usually use a damp cloth on my car's dash and plastics. I used AA in the past and it's really a pathetic product, it's all oily, attracts dust like mad and make's the windshield all streaky for some odd reason.

Die armor all die!

Old 08-05-2006, 02:44 PM
Originally Posted by claymore
I have been using windex for the past year and no cracking.
That's just the problem, you use if for a year and it will not do anything to it but if you own the car for 5-10 years it will start drying it out and cause craxking to happen, be careful.

Old 08-05-2006, 04:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by claymore
I have been using windex for the past year and no cracking.
windex is amonia based... basicly it has color added with amonia. I make my own amonia cleaner this way. Added to that is a small amount of dish wash liquid...

Old 08-07-2006, 12:05 AM
armor-all use to be bad, and acually dryed out your dash and made it crack. but now armor-all has been reformulated. the armor-all protectant you buy now days is safe for plastic and rubber and vinyl, and protects them. I dont know about some of the other armor-all products, but the armor-all protectant is safe for your dash.

I personly use 303 aerospace protectant in my interior on the dash and other plastic/vinyl surfaces. IMO 303 aerospace protectant is one of the best vinyl protectant you can buy.

as for cleaning i just use plain water and a Microfiber towl.

Old 08-07-2006, 12:07 AM
armor-all use to be bad, and acually dryed out your dash and made it crack. but now armor-all has been reformulated. the armor-all protectant you buy now days is safe for plastic and rubber and vinyl, and protects them. I dont know about some of the other armor-all products, but the armor-all protectant is safe for your dash.

I personly use 303 aerospace protectant in my interior on the dash and other plastic/vinyl surfaces. IMO 303 aerospace protectant is one of the best vinyl protectant you can buy.

Old 08-07-2006, 12:37 AM
I saw that 303 stuff at my local automotive store so once I receive my Fit next week, I'm gonna go and pick up a bottle since you guys highly recommend it

Old 08-08-2006, 07:59 AM
Originally Posted by RageOfFury
make's the windshield all streaky for some odd reason.

Die armor all die!
You're not supposed to use it on glass!

Quick Reply: How to clean the interior? With questions, answers and suggestions