Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

How to clean the interior? With questions, answers and suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 09:18 AM
Four Wheels Enthusiast
5 Year Member
How to clean the interior? With questions, answers and suggestions

Hey everybody, i just had a question about cleaning the dash sinces its got all thoes little bumps on it, it seems to pick up every little spec of dust and debri.. what do you use or how do you clean yours?

Old 05-08-2006, 09:28 AM
One of those dusters could work - the kind with a static charge to attract dust.

Old 05-08-2006, 09:53 AM
Thats what I have been using. A swiffer duster. Works quite well but it would be better if their was a way to repel the dust so it didn't have to be done so often....

Old 05-08-2006, 01:49 PM
I bought a box of off brand "swiffer" refills and use them by hand. Works not to bad, but with a black dash it always looks dusty.

Old 05-08-2006, 02:01 PM
Master FitFreaker
man I want to see how to clean that too haha

Old 06-04-2006, 10:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sLiVeRwOrM
Hey everybody, i just had a question about cleaning the dash sinces its got all thoes little bumps on it, it seems to pick up every little spec of dust and debri.. what do you use or how do you clean yours?
if you decide to use a soap be carfull you dont leave residue that could prematurly trap dust. sometimes left over soap acts sticky... It may be a good idea to use a soft wash rag with clear water after cleaning. final wipe would be a dry wash rag to prevent water spoting

Old 06-04-2006, 10:43 PM
Four Wheels Enthusiast
5 Year Member
I have been using thoes armoral wripes that come in a tube and kinda moist.. I use em on the doors first to get alot of the moisture out of them, and then run them over the dash since they are lint free they don't really leave anything behind but a nice clean shine!

Old 06-05-2006, 02:27 PM
Avid FitFreak Poster
I just use microfiber and water... anything else will mess it up.... Just like the VW dashes and interior...

Old 06-05-2006, 03:33 PM
Four Wheels Enthusiast
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dougiepants
I just use microfiber and water... anything else will mess it up.... Just like the VW dashes and interior...
even the lint-free armor-al wipes i use?

Old 06-05-2006, 05:06 PM
Avid FitFreak Poster
it has a problem with discoloring or puddling in the dimples...

Old 06-05-2006, 08:08 PM
5 Year Member
warning about cleaning/conditioner products with alcohol

it has a problem with discoloring or puddling in the dimples...
Caution with armor all products; they need to be checked. Armoral has alcohol. It dries stuff out badly.... It even discolors most items... It should never be used for many things. In contrast Mcguires makes a rubber and vinyl conditioner that is water based so, it will not dry up stuff and in addition to that it has sun screen rated at 40. Any cleaner/conditoner products with alcohol regardless of maker should be used with caution.
I told this to my neighbor who had an early 70s desirable sport blue dodge with a white vinyl top. She used armorall faithfully for years on her top and suddenly what I had been telling her happend. One day she came to me to show me her top had shrinked and seperated from the ancore points. The top was mint except for that one detail.

Last edited by big Fit; 06-05-2006 at 11:59 PM.
Old 06-05-2006, 08:08 PM
Never had a problem using Zymol interior protectant on my MKIV Jetta, but I gave up on it, and used soap and water. Worked great, and its what I'm using on my Fit's dash. The swiffers work pretty well too.

Old 06-05-2006, 08:40 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
We use the Pledge Grab-It towels around the house and in our cars (no Fit yet ). They pick up and hold the dust really well. If there is any goo or stuff that doesn't come off, I use really watered down Simple Green (like 1 to 10 ratio), then go back over with a watered-down cloth, then dry it. Works great!

Old 06-06-2006, 09:20 AM
Four Wheels Enthusiast
5 Year Member
i guess i will just wipe mine down from now on with some water.. it wont be shiney though

Old 06-06-2006, 10:57 AM
I use Honda Shine and a micro fiber. The stuff works great, although they discontinued it because of some additive that isnt allowed for emissions? I bought 4 cans from my dealership, should last a while. Honda auto and motorcycle shops carry it.

Old 06-06-2006, 02:49 PM
Avid FitFreak Poster
straight water is the best I have found

Old 06-07-2006, 02:53 PM
Exclamation

Originally Posted by ngoldberg
I use Honda Shine and a micro fiber. The stuff works great, although they discontinued it because of some additive that isnt allowed for emissions? I bought 4 cans from my dealership, should last a while. Honda auto and motorcycle shops carry it.
I use Honda Spray Polish/Cleaner and it works oneverything it touches on any Honda vehicle!

Old 06-10-2006, 09:32 PM
yea, i just use a damp rag or washcloth for my dash. it seems to work for a bit, but still gets dusty fast, especially since i'm in the middle of a desert.

Old 06-13-2006, 08:06 AM
5 Year Member
Don't use armorall wipes. I was picking up supplies the other day and abesntmindedly bought some, after seeing the residu they leave I ended up using windex to get an even look. The swiffer idea sounds allot more logical.

-C-

Old 06-13-2006, 08:31 AM
5 Year Member
i JUST USE MY BABY'S CHUB'S TOWEL RIGHT BEFORE LEAVE THE CAR AT WORK, SO AT NOON I'LL SEE IF IT WAS OR NOT A GOOD IDEA, BUT SWIFFER SHOULD BE THE BETTER OPTION.......I AGREE

Quick Reply: How to clean the interior? With questions, answers and suggestions