Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

How to clean the interior? With questions, answers and suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 09:58 PM
i dont know about the rest of you. i will never use armor all again. its streaked, it looks like shit, its very hard to get an even coat on. ive done my dash 3 times... which is 2 to many... i got a bottle, and wipes.. i wont even give away, straight to the trash ! i will be purchasing meguiars very very soon.

Old 05-20-2007, 10:16 PM
5 Year Member
I swear by Vinylex.

Old 05-21-2007, 12:01 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by xcurt15
i dont know about the rest of you. i will never use armor all again. its streaked, it looks like shit, its very hard to get an even coat on. ive done my dash 3 times... which is 2 to many... i got a bottle, and wipes.. i wont even give away, straight to the trash ! i will be purchasing meguiars very very soon.
If you do somehow end up using armor all go over it with a damp cloth. I will help a lot.

Old 05-23-2007, 12:11 AM
I used 303 on my S2000 for the past 4 years and it never did me wrong. I first got it to protect my convertible soft top (car was parked in sun 5 days a week) and it worked great. But when it rained it ran down all over my doors and made my paint oily and smeary looking. But it did not damage the finish. Anyway I ended up using it on everything. Works great on tires too - gives a nice satin finish without all the gunk like some tire dressings.

With 303 you're supposed to always wipe off the excess.

I used it on my Fit dashboard the first week i got it and I did not wipe off the excess. My window was hazing up pretty significantly for a week or two on the inside so 303 must give off fumes as well... so remember to wipe off the excess.

I haven't tried other products much so can't give any comparisons.

Old 05-24-2007, 01:13 AM
303 aerospace is the BEST interior dressing because it ACTUALLY protects from the suns harmful UV rays.

Heres a link to some- 303 Aerospace Protectant by 303 Products

Armor all is the worst product you could use for interior detailing.

Old 05-24-2007, 01:22 PM
Originally Posted by isis151miu
Problem solved....just use a cloth/sponge and some warm water.
My approach as well. Personally, I fell that with the texture of the fit's dash (speaking of the upper part mostly) it really wasn't meant to have a gloss or oily look to it. I've never liked these kind of treatments anyways for 'hard' plastics so I too stick with clean watter and a rag, only after I de-dust with a tack cloth.

This does the trick nicely and doesn't ruin the plastic 'flat' texture as it came from the factory. Now softer stuff like leather or vinyl surfaces are a different story, and Meguiars and Lexol are it for me!

Old 06-05-2007, 11:06 AM
Interior Cleaning (What Do You Use?)

I couldn't find information on what people use to clean the interior. What do you clean the dash with? What do you clean the "mesh" part of the door panels with?

Thanks!

Ryan

Old 06-05-2007, 12:42 PM
5 Year Member
i clean the dashboard with just a wet microfiber. It pickes up everything in the little dimples of the dash. I don't use any products such as armor all (worst!) or meguiars (best!) i just get rid of the dust. As for the door panel inserts and the seats, i recommend u go get a can of 3m scotchguard protector so it doesn't get dirty in the first place. link below:

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...ery_Protector/

Now all i do is take my clean wet microfiber and wipe the door panel cloth to make it clean again b/c it doesn't get dirty.

Old 06-05-2007, 12:44 PM
Thanks. Ill try a wet microfiber.

Old 06-05-2007, 03:23 PM
Retired Moderator
If you have a Califronia Duster, you can use that too...may leave some red crap, but you won't need a wet microfiber towel to remove those, just a regular towel will clean up those...

Old 06-15-2007, 12:56 PM
I'll vote for 303 as well, though I find it has a pretty funky aroma for the first day or two after application. 303 has been the top recommendation for plastic clean/protect on every car board I have been on. I also use meguiars nxt tech protectant when i want a glossier look, and a pleasant smell too

To clean the haze that sometimes forms on the windshield (I find this is worst in the summer, especially if you apply when the dash is still hot) I use a product called Invisible Glass. It comes in an aerosol can and is an ammonia based cleaner but seems to be a lot stronger than windex and it will cut through the haze nicely, just don't get any on your plastic parts!!! If you do wipe it off immediately.

Old 07-17-2008, 11:17 AM
Jazz like

towels around the house and in our cars (no Fit yet ). They pick up and hold the dust really well. If there is any goo or stuff that doesn't come off, I use really watered down Simple Green (like 1 to 10 ratio), then go back over with a watered-down cloth

Old 08-24-2008, 01:22 PM
Hey guys, I had a Tide detergent bottle leak and it caused a funky smell in my car for almost a week. I didn't find out what it was since I assumed it was rain (I left my windows an inch open and some got in).

I was wondering what I should do to get the smell out. A bit of detergent got onto the floor mats (which I washed myself in my home) and a bit got onto the actual carpet.

Suggestions?

Old 08-26-2008, 08:28 PM
dash

I use Black Magic interior conditioner you can get at any autozone. Spray it onto a microfiber and wipe down the dash and It gets in all the dimples. The dash looks brand new every time.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:45 PM
5 Year Member
last time I disted I used a sock that was in my car. Worked well and that was about 2+ weeksish ago I think. just starting to get dusty again lol. that's for the dash atleast. carpet I just shake/hit. Ummm...glass...iono, haven't done that yet. And carpet, well a vacuum.

edit: if you really wanna spend money and get every bit of dust you can get them "sticky" dust pads used for prepping before paint.

Old 09-21-2008, 08:17 PM
I simply use a damp microfiber towel. Works perfectly!

Old 10-15-2008, 12:15 PM
5 Year Member
So a wet microfiber towel works the best?

Old 09-07-2009, 10:19 PM
I'm an interior detailer and where i work, we have a bunch of products that we use. i found that a 70/30 mixture of Spray9 and water (70% water / 30% Spray9) works the best for cleaning plastic paneling with a microfiber cloth and a scrub brush. for cloth and headliners i use this stuff called Dry Foam, works great with a hard bristled brush and a microfiber cloth to pick up the residue. For cleaning floot mats i use a 60/40 mix of spray9 and water (60% spray9). if you want to add shine to an interior without a greasy feeling or any streaking i use Mothers Protectant spray and i apply it with a sponge (cloth covered). Windows and windshields i use windex, straight up.

Old 12-28-2009, 08:40 PM
Damp microfiber, California miniduster, or sometimes a microfiber and some Meguiars interior detailer. Been looking into a vinyl condition that Advanced Auto sells, and some stuff by Griots.

Old 04-11-2010, 05:39 PM
ok what about the seats enough of the dash cleaning.... wet microfiber blahblahblah we dont need 5 pages of the same thing theres more to an interior

How to keep ur seats looking fresh....suggestions neone???

Quick Reply: How to clean the interior? With questions, answers and suggestions