Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Help: 07 Fit Sport Stereo Cutting Out, dome light out.

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 03:42 PM
Unhappy Help: 07 Fit Sport Stereo Cutting Out, dome light out.

Hello, thanks in advance for any advice you can give. We just bought a used 07 Fit Sport w/ 68k miles on it (about 3 weeks ago).

My wife has noticed an increasingly frequent problem during the past week. At first we simply thought it was the mp3 disc skipping, but now it happens while she's using the radio as well: while driving, all speakers will suddenly go silent. From what I understand, they come back on after a time, but this is getting worse and worse.

Additionally, the dome light is no longer working. I will be checking the bulb asap.

Some likely suspects (too many, really):
1) I just replaced the rear passenger speaker before this began. It was only a loose wire but the speaker lip was cracked and I already had the door panel off, so I put in a brand new speaker (slightly less powerful than the Infinity that was in there - stock?). I'd be surprised if an issue with this single speaker was causing all 4 + tweets to abruptly go silent; unless the head unit is struggling power-wise?? Like I said, this speaker requires less power than the others.

2) Previous to this, I installed a back-up camera. It is spliced in (via simple wire clips) to the passenger side reverse light cable, where the camera and wireless transmitter get their power. There seem to be no problems at all with the camera and screen's functioning. Works great.

3) My wife has up to 3 12v devices running from a splitter on the single 12v outlet in the front. These are: GPS (always), iPhone charger (sometimes), and the back-up camera screen (full power only in reverse). Maybe I was a little optimistic to think she'd be fine running all of this? (The car is essentially her office.)

Sorry this is so long. I'm a detail-oriented guy. I'll be experimenting with removing each of the above suspects over the weekend.

If none of the above seem to be the problem, I'll check the battery. With the dome-light, I'll check bulb then fuse. Then...alternator? That'd be a shame.

EDIT: Or, could be a failing head unit I suppose?

We've been loving this car, but this is lame. I already was frustrated enough just putting the door panel back on last week
thanks!

Last edited by stellcon; 08-24-2012 at 04:41 PM.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:37 PM
I have no way to conclusively prove this, but it sounds like you're drawing too many amps for the car to handle at once. I've seen random flickering like that in non-automotive situations when I'm overloading a breaker with too many electronics. For what it's worth, I have an '07 base that hasn't had any head unit issues (aside from the screen starting to show signs of heat-wear).

Old 08-28-2012, 10:13 AM
Smile good news - resolved

Hey, good news. Turns out it was either a bad speaker (terminal) or my crappy wiring job was causing the problem (which would be weird, because it wasn't that bad). These were those bad cheapo wal-mart speakers--waste of time, took em back.

As for the dome light, it was just a worn out bulb. Not blown, just a loose metal cap on one end. Yay!

I love easy fixes. Did this stuff Saturday, and we've driven about 350 miles since then, no issues.

I'm really loving my wife's Fit. I'm getting very, very close to hitting a fill-up with an average of 40 mpg! Best so far is 37.9 on ~9 gallons. The challenge is it's really hilly here (long hills), and hot (running a/c).

I've always wanted a Mazda Speed3, but when the old Eclipse finally goes, I'm really considering a Fit of my own now!

Cheers

Old 08-28-2012, 01:32 PM
Awesome, glad you were able to get it sorted!