Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

FYI regarding headlight switch recall

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 04:50 PM
5 Year Member
FYI regarding headlight switch recall

I had the recall fix done quite some time ago. Last week, heading out for work in the morning my headlights wouldn't turn on except for high beam. Finally had a chance to try and fix it today after spending the week driving my '85 720 which had working headlights...

The recall is a new connector and wire to the combination switch plug, and a crimped splice joining back to the original harness. Whoever put this thing in must have had arthritis or something because jiggling the wire made the lights go on and off, and with a gentle tug the harness-end of the wire came out. The thing was barely crimped at all. I replaced it with a new connector using a ratcheting crimper...it's really on there now!

So if your lights go out at the same time and you've had this recall work done, take the column cover off real quick and check that connection. Could be a quick fix. Buy or borrow a ratcheting crimper, don't use those cheap "all-in-one" stripper/crimpers for this.

Original fix (red/white wire):

Name:  NrPujl.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  45.6 KB

Old 09-15-2012, 09:35 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
Wow that's some shoddy dealership workmanship. Their recall work, to prevent a safety hazard, actually ended up causing the safety hazard - so dumb.

I did this recall myself, just can't trust strangers to work on my car. After all, the best way to make sure something is done right is to do it yourself.

Old 09-16-2012, 01:05 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah the half-assed crimps are what really irked me. I had to cut 1cm off the harness wire as arcing had crisped it pretty good. I would have wasted a lot more time troubleshooting, having already gone through the bulbs and beginning to take the switch out for testing, but a loop of the replacement wire was left sticking out from the tape so I opened it up to investigate.

Old 09-16-2012, 04:46 PM
5 Year Member
?

Is this recall for the 1st or 2nd gen fits?

Old 09-17-2012, 07:00 AM
5 Year Member
Just '07-'08 as far as I know. It should be able to be checked here, it was accurate for my car:

http://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/SEO/HondaRecall.asp

Old 09-17-2012, 11:41 PM
5 Year Member
I had both lights go out and no high beam or low beam only drl. Is this the same problem and fix in Canada? They say there is not a recall on the Canadian one? some one help me. It has been a week and if I cant fix them im going to sell this car.

Old 11-08-2012, 11:11 PM
5 Year Member
Same problem :(

I have an 07 fit, and the dealer did the recall work 6 months ago. last week, the low beam headlamps went out, but brights work. took it back and made a big fuss, they said they wanted to be sure it was done, so re-did the repair and still there is no power to the low beams, they do not know what the problem is and now have to start tracing the electric lines, to the tune of "minimum $200" just for the labor. In addition, the drivers side fog light was out, and i had them replace the bulb. the guy said the bulb was burned out, yes, but it didnt work when replaced because of a bad relay which they are going to replace. can anyone tell me directions how to remove the cover on the steering wheel, to access the wiring harness that I need to look at the crimping? I have heard that many of these break when people remove or replace it... I dont want to cause more damage!

Old 11-08-2012, 11:18 PM
5 Year Member
I found

3 star screws under wheel. Remove and then start car to turn wheel, then pinch with both hands and press with thumbs on the front seams. It should pop open like a kinder egg.

Old 11-14-2012, 09:12 AM
i had this recall done on my '08 fit before i picked it up from the dealer. i was buying it used and saw the recall come up on the carfax.

quick question though, could this affect my foglights? i have no problem with my headlights, low or high beam. finally noticed this morning, after a month of ownership (doh!), that the foglights don't turn on when i turn the switch on the steering column.

Old 11-14-2012, 12:29 PM
5 Year Member
the saga continues

well, after more searching from the dealer, i was told that they did do the recall repair. they said that it did not fix the headlights low beams. they said they found a relay switch that had burned up from a power surge or something, and one side of the relay controls the low beams, the left lower fog lamp, and i think the upper (orange) lights (im not sure what they are called... corner markers maybe?). they said this surge did burn out all the bulbs so they replaced the relay and the bulbs and this fixed it. I was in a rush when i pickedup the car, so went about my day. That night noticed the right headlight isnt working WTH are all these headlight issues all at once?! They cannot tell me what caused the surge that burned up the relay either. back to the dealer i go!

Old 01-01-2015, 03:21 PM
5 Year Member
Today it happened to me. During a long time driving I felt something like burn plastic. I turned the lights OFF and from that moment I can't turn the headlights ON. Only parking light and high beam are working...
I disconnected the connector under steering column cover and found this.
Name:  DSC_0041_zps82ae2992.jpg
Views: 4744
Size:  78.7 KB Now I see I'm not only one with this issue...

Old 06-02-2017, 05:41 PM
5 Year Member
Question Based on this image... has recall work been done?

Based on the following image, can you verify if they actually did the fix for the recall?

I'm suspecting they did not but I'm not sure.

2008 Honda Fit Low Headlight Recall Issue